Kidney stone

Discussion in 'Health & Medicine' started by pills, Jul 5, 2009.

1. pills

pills Well-Known Member

I had my first experience with these little blessings the other night. I woke up and tried to pull the knife out of my back. I fully expected to find a Kbar back there.

So how do you guys prevent them?
    How do you deal with them?

Any tips?

My dad used to chew Rolaids so I know to avoid calcium but I like my 2% milk every couple of days or so.

btw I am only 31...

2. dukman

dukman Greenhorn

I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with them, yet, (knock on wood). I heard that soda pop is a leading cause of them. Good thing I can't have caffeine, I tend to avoid drinking a lot of soda :D

3. pills

pills Well-Known Member

I havent drank pop in almost two years but i do drink sweet tea like its going out of style.

4. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

not drinking enough water is the #1 culprit I'm pretty sure

the stones form when the balance of minerals/salts(electrolytes) etc gets out of balance

WARNING: gatorade/powerade etc are NOT water substitutes! while good for electrolyte deficiencies periodically, too much, depending on activity levels, can actually cause renal failure

what constitutes "too much"?... I don't really know, but coach potatoes probably shouldn't drink gallon jugs of it a day :rolleyes: ;)

5. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

As Blob mentioned drink a lot of water, Below are some general tips for reducing the chances of developing kidney stones:

• Drink more fluids. Try to drink enough water to keep your urine clear, about 8 to 10 glasses of water per day. Slowly increase how much you drink, perhaps adding one more glass of water a day until you are drinking 8 to 10 glasses a day. This slow increase will give your body time to adjust to the extra fluids. You are drinking enough water when your urine is clear or light yellow. If it is dark yellow, you are not drinking enough fluids. If you have kidney, heart, or liver disease and have fluid restrictions, talk with your doctor before increasing how much you drink.
    • Change your diet. This may be helpful, but it depends on what is causing your kidney stones. Your doctor may do more tests before deciding whether changing your diet will help reduce your risk of developing another stone. The results of these tests may suggest that it could be helpful to do one or more of the following:
      • Increasing how much fiber you eat. Fiber includes oat bran, beans, whole wheat breads, wheat cereals, cabbage, and carrots.
      • Eating less beef, pork, and poultry.
      • Eating a moderate or high amount of calcium-rich foods, such as dairy products. Getting your recommended amounts of calcium, combined with a diet low in sodium and protein, may decrease your risk of kidney stones.7 In older people and younger women, one study indicates that eating more calcium-rich foods reduces the risk of kidney stones.8
      • Avoiding foods that are high in oxalate, such as dark green vegetables, nuts, and chocolate.
      • Not adding salt when you cook or eat. Try removing the salt shaker from your table.

6. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

All good tips here....except for this one-Are you taking any prescription meds? If you are, check all the labels and make sure kidney issues are not listed as a side effect. Some prescription and even OTC meds can cause imbalances that lead to stones.

7. pills

pills Well-Known Member

Meat and salt noted.

The only meds I take are claritan and Generic Tagament.

8. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

Over the years I have had a great number of kidney stones, some very large and painful including one I called a rotorooter. Because of talking to a friend that had a bad bout with a stone I learned that vitamin tablet binders can be a culprit, in his case it was calcium stearate that bound vitamin C tabs. I don't see that listed any more, what I see being used as a binder and often a filler is magnesium stearate and it is possible for that to cause stones. I have read about soda pop possibly being a stone maker, my wife and I quit drinking soda pop many years ago. Drinking lots of water is good for flushing the kidneys and I probably don't drink enough at times, however due to changing to a blood type diet around 2000 I have no further stones. Another wonderful thing that happened using the blood type diet is that I got rid of a 20 year low blood sugar problem and lost over 22 pounds. I've heard that because of the purity of German beer it is good for flushing the kidneys, good as excuse as any to have a good brew.

9. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I also have had / have kidney stones. I found that keeping away from calcium rich foods / drinks limits the stones that I have had forming. I highly limit my milk, cheese, ice-cream and "good source of calcium" foods. I try to drink water and herbal teas as my primary water-sources.

10. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

In the middle of mine, I wished to die. A year ago, I felt another starting. I gorged myself on cranberry juice and tea for a few days and the intermittent stab went away. Would definitely try that remedy again.

11. pills

pills Well-Known Member

i have heard several people talking about feeling them forming. I dont remember feeling anything.

Care to describe the feeling of the formation?

12. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

per se I didn't feel a second one starting, but I did feel that unmistakable tuck and stab under the ribs. It would come and go a little, today ,again next week. The feeling you will never forget. That's when I pushed fluids like crazy to help flush it. Might have been lucky or wrong, but it never became a crisis. Just went away. Would do it again as a prayer play to make it go away (hopefully) without the terrible pain.

13. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

Persistent but not necessarily immobilizing lower back pain, like feeling you have a pulled muscle. Women might experience sharp, sudden pains, similar to those that accompany ovarian cysts.

14. pills

pills Well-Known Member

went to the urologist today. Found out some interesting things.

He said he hardly ever sees KS during the winter. It is when people are out working and not drinking enough water. He also agreed with the Lemon aid breaking down the KS. He said to use real lemons or the concentrate. The powder doesn't seem to work.

15. Herbalpagan

Herbalpagan Well-Known Member

I have had many (waaay too many) kidney stones. I have gotten them winter,spring,summer and fall. Almost always, they can be traced to a time when I didn't hydrate myself well enough with good old fashioned water. When I think one may be coming on (pain in back -if you've had than one stone and you'll know it), I hit the water, supplimented with slices of lemon, lemonaid (not the junk stuff) and cranberry juice. Apparently, the acids in lemon cuts through the calcium in the stone, the cranberry also helps strengthen your system against any infection a possible urinary infection caused by the stone passing, both have mild dietic (not sure if that's the right word; I mean a product that makes you pee more) affects.
    The water is flushing impurities from your system, including stones that are just starting.
    I haven't had near as many since we cut back on caffiene, other find relief by cutting down on dairy foods.
    Good luck!

16. Fn/Form

Fn/Form Function over Form

Buddy of mine wondered allowed why a lot of his troops got kidney stones when they went over. He said they were very hydrated--mandated. I asked him what they drank. He said bottled water only. Aha. Probably a combination of dehydration + concentration of the minerals found in most bottled water, added for 'taste'? I believe only distilled water has little/no minerals?

Be careful of gorging on fluids. You can throw other things out of balance. Just make sure you're well hydrated. I was told by an older friend that he has a few beers for his kidney stones when he gets home from work. Supposedly a natural diuretic and recommended by his doc.

17. GatorDude

GatorDude Well-Known Member

Cut back on tea. The tannins in tea can help form the stones. My M-i-L was also advised to drink more lemonade once she had one. But, water is best to prevent them. Good luck! :cool:

18. the_examined_life

the_examined_life Active Member

I've passed 5 over the past 7 years... but nothing in the last 2 or so. Water has been the largest help. I may still be passing them but they aren't noticed or felt. I tryto drink about 100oz a day...or more.

A few yrs back I passed a rather large one. I fished it out of the toilet and took it in to my ND to have it tested. there are 2 main types of stones from what I understand. Most common is from excesse protein or calcium in the diet.

I went on the net looking for foods to avoid and got basically the same list that my ND gave me. She also mentioned that the information from studies keeps coming and that everyone's body is different and there is no one easy answer as to why we get them.. but water is the best answer. Also... if you look at the foods on the list you will see foods like sweet potatoes and spinich.... Moderation in all things I guess is the answer. Don't cut foods out of your diet that are good for you, just balance out your intake.

Also.. alcohol and coffee, or caffine for that matter helps to promote them. Not sure exactly how and why I just know that they do from personal exp and advice fom my doc.

Best of luck...

19. jones34

jones34 Guest

To Avoid Kidney Stones Take Care Of Following Things:

1)Take Care With Calcium
    2)Keep An Eye On Oxalate
    3)Be Fluent In Fluids
    4)Beware the “Stone Belt”
    5)Eat Less Meat
    6)Ferret Out Fat
    7)Shake The Salt Habit

20. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

What is an oxalate?

Stone-belt? More info please.

I don't know if I would be able to eat less meat - I am a meatatarian .. I can't seem to process vegitables and if I eat a meal of straight vegies I am sittin' on the throne in a very short amount of time.