Featured KETO Diet

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Caribou, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Caribou

Caribou Time Traveler

2. CrackbottomLouis

CrackbottomLouis Winston Smith Sent Me

Im in for info. Since Ive heard Sentry talk about it the keto diet has never left the back of my mind. As I get closer and closer to my fitness goals the harder progress becomes. I figured I would give it a try if I hit a plateau that becomes a flat line.

3. Grimm

Grimm There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.

My endocrinologist advised me at my last appointment to do Keto. She said a very low carb high fat diet will not only help with weight loss but with health issues as well. Here is the link she gave me for info...

https://www.dietdoctor.com/

I use the KetoDiet app for some recipes. I am also a part of their current 60 day challenge. It is not that we do the diet for 60 days then switch to something else but it is a push to keep going as this is a lifestyle change. The link to that site and blog is...

https://ketodietapp.com/recommended/

I have a few recipe books but I tend to use Pinterest to find them more often.

I recommend that if you really want to do Keto it needs to be for life. If you just can't give up the carbs try Paleo which is Keto's gluten free but carb rich cousin.

4. Grimm

For those too lazy to read the info on the sites I linked, Keto is when you eat very low carbs and very high healthy fats with moderate protein.

The recommended amount of carbs is 20-35 grams per day of net carbs. Net carbs are the remaining carbs after you have subtracted the grams of fiber. When I first tried Keto before I got pregnant I thought the total carbs needed to be between 20-35 grams. I was having such a hard time not cheating and getting into ketosis.

Ketosis is when your body no longer burns glucose for fuel but fat. It converts the fat (both in your body and what you eat) into ketones. Your body then uses the ketones to function. There is a 'detox' period when you first make the switch and some people get what is known as the keto flu. This is when you feel like you have the flu mixed with hunger pains and headaches. There are ways to avoid the keto flu but it is all based on your body so what worked for me may not work for you.

Before I was in ketosis a blood ketone meter would give readings of 'LO' or no higher than '0.3 mmol/L' if before a meal. To be in ketosis the readings should be above '0.5 mmol/L' The last few days I am getting readings of '1.3 mmol/L' in the morning when I wake up. This means there are ketones in my blood feeding my body.

But the blood ketone test strips are expensive so most people use the urine strips which are 100 strips for $10 at the drug store.

5. Caribou

Caribou Time Traveler

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 1:58 AM
  6. Sentry18

Sentry18 Well-Known Member

I have been eating low carb high fat moderate protein for about 5 years now. I started to support my wife as she wanted to lose the baby weight she gained from our last child in an effort to "reclaim her body". It did not take long for me to discover that a ketogenic diet had numerous health benefits. Consuming foods that keeps you body in ketosis creates a natural anti-inflammatory state. It is also establishes consistent energy levels without highs and lows, aids in deeper more restful sleep, all but eliminates cravings and appetite, creates less bodily waste products, is a much more natural way of eating (less chemicals and crap), decreases bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol, improves over hormonal stability, virtually "cures" diabetes symptoms and complications, increases the production of testosterone and HGH, improves dental health and quickly reduces stored body fat. I now firmly believe that this is how our bodies were designed to eat. And ironically until the 1950's was considered to be the healthiest of diets in the medical community. Of course that came to a close when manufacturing companies started paying doctors to do studies which aligned with their business goals, a practice that is in overdrive even today.

Ketogenic is not NO carb, it is low carb. And how many carbs depends on you and your goals. I eat 25-35 carbs a day simply because I feel the best when I eat in that range. My wife eats between 50-60 and sees the same benefit. Both of us feel physically horrible when we "cheat". Almost like we ate something that poisoned us. So we work very hard not to eat foods that do not conform to our ketogenic standards. We eats lots of salads and green vegetable. We also eat some berries and nuts, but no legumes. We consume lots of coconut oil, butter, olive oils and other healthy fats. The more body fat you have the less dietary fat you need to add (and vice versa). If your body is consuming it's own fat than that becomes the F in LCHF (low carb high fat). Too much protein is also counterproductive as it can convert to glucose via gluconeogenesis, so we keep our protein consumption in the moderate range. Of course all of this requires good hydration, so lots and lots of water.

I have converted many many people into ketogenic eaters. I also have a pretty long track record of success and documented medical improvements. So much so my Nurse Practitioner corners me everytime I see her to ask me more and more questions about it. But we are all very different animals and there is no one size fits all program or plan. The most important aspects however are to avoid sugars and flours, to avoid processed or synthetic foods, to eat when you're physically hungry, to stop eating when you are no longer physically hungry, to not follow a mandatory meal schedule (like you HAVE to eat Breakfast, dinner must be at 6pm sharp, etc.), to remain hydrated, to add sodium to your diet, to add magnesium to your diet and to eat lots of green vegetables.

I also refer people to the Diet Doctor website. It is the best online resource there is for the ketogenic lifestyle.

phideaux likes this.
  7. Sentry18

Perhaps you should share this with her. My wife has had 7 kids, the last one 5 years ago. She did periods of low carb after each child. When our last baby was born, knowing that she was not going to have any more kids, she decided to make ketogenic eating her life and not just a diet. By the time our youngest was 18 months old my wife was the same size she was when she attended college. People look at her in shock when she tells them how many kids we have. And while vanity was a motivator, she will tell you it's how good she feels that keeps her on plan. The first 3 days are awful. The first week can be tough. But once ketosis kicks in you quickly realize how little you need to eat to be satisfied and nourished. That makes you healthier, saves money and improves your quality of life. If I could make a potion that let you feel for 48 hours what it's like to be on low carb after a few months, everyone who drank it would jump on the ketogenic bandwagon.

phideaux likes this.
  8. Grimm

I do what to share that for most people starting out doing Keto the lower your net carbs are in the beginning the faster you get into ketosis. If you slowly add more carbs over time while monitoring your ketone levels you will find that magic zone of net carbs you can eat each day. I find that right now since I am only 2 weeks back on Keto (for me keto was not so good for breast feeding) I am eating between 15-20 net carbs a day. I find it is easier for me to stick to the plan if my foods are 5 net carbs or less when I go shopping. Also be aware if you do not maintain your macros you will fall out of ketosis fast.

There are also some very yummy keto variations of regular foods. Vanilla keto mug cake is my go to for a sweet treat when cake and cookies are present. I will be making pumpkin cheesecake fatbombs this holiday season along with fathead "sugar" cookies.

phideaux likes this.
  9. Grimm

I am only two weeks back on plan and have already lost 13+lbs.

It is fat too! The calibers don't lie.

phideaux likes this.
  10. Sentry18

Good for you!

I will admit that when I started I was supporting the wife but was also convinced I did not need to lose any fat. I ended up losing like 15-20lbs in the first couple months and realized I did. I am not consistently about 23lbs lighter then when I first started and actually dropped a pant size.

I should also add to the conversation that while exercise is important for health, it is not necessary at all for weight loss. Eating low carb alone will burn off the excess body fat.

phideaux likes this.
  11. Grimm

I wanted to add some of the low/no carb foods I keep in the house. This may help the newbies so they know what to look for.

You really have to watch dairy. Milk has a lot of sugar thus high in carbs. I like cream in my coffee so I use heaving whipping cream. Most companies have 1-3 g of carbs per 2 tbsps. Knudsens heavy whipping cream has no carbs! Not even trace carbs! (I contacted the company) This is my hwc of choice for all recipes. Now recipes that use to have 4+ carbs from the hwc now have 0!

I also prefer MCT oil to coconut oil in most recipes. I don't mind the coconut flavor but not in my coffee or fatbombs.

phideaux likes this.
  12. Sentry18

Interestingly enough MCT oil gives me indigestion. We use lots of coconut oil and Kerrygold grass fed butter.

Another good thing to eat in moderation is fermented foods like pickles, sauer kraut, green olives, etc. Good for gut health and usually low in carbs (but always check the labels).

The first year or two that we were low carb we tried making lot of low carb alternatives to non-low carb foods. As time went on we started just eating lots of meats and salad with homemade salad dressings. Although we still do have some faux recipes, like making zoodles out of zucchini in place of pasta.

13. Grimm

Check the labels on the MCT oil. Make sure it is made of coconut oil and not a mixture of coconut and palm oils. The palm oil has carbs and sugars. I do try and buy unflavored coconut oil when I can but the MCT oil is reserved for my Bulletproof Coffee.

I am the only one eating Keto in our home. The family eats Keto when I cook but mostly the kids are Paleo. They love the zoodles and fatbombs and their gluten free pancakes. K loves his carbs and sugars so he eats them outside of the home.

14. Sentry18

Wife had a better idea for you and your wife. Go to Dietdoctor.com and sign up for the free 30 day membership. Sit down with your wife and watch 2-3 of the movies about the science behind eating low carb. She found those movies very educational and very motivating. I really liked the movie Cereal Killers & Carb-Loaded. Lots of really good supporting information and all you need to do is watch a movie. In that free trial you should also watch some of the lesson video explaining how to eat low carb.

phideaux likes this.
  15. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

More than a decade ago, I did The South Beach diet, which is a keto diet. I started with the first book, and did my own variations of what worked, because of how expensive the ingredients for the first book are. Since then I have purchased some of the other books.

I have been wondering about the keto diet, not the SB version, and have looked into some of their ideas, meals and recipes.

The one thing I remember about S.B. is that it is the first couple days that are the hardest. I have known people who cannot get past those days.

I think being someone who mostly drinks water throughout the day helps. I know several people who do not like to drink water. They are always looking for something with flavor.

The South Beach diet was created by a cardiologist. It is supposed to be good for your heart.

16. Sentry18

South Beach is not a bad diet, but it factors in nutrition over nature. What I mean by that is SB says you can have X amount of this or X amount of that. When really we should be eating based on what our body is telling us we need, when we need it. South Beach is really just Atkins reconfigured to be easier for most people. Atkins has an almost identical program now called Atkins 40. But Keto eating is really just working your nutritional macros and eating as healthy as possible within them.

[​IMG]

Being long term keto eaters we have found (for us) the most important aspects of keto are as follows:

- Plan ahead. Have pre-planned menus, back up meals, back up plans, back up snacks, etc.
    - Do not cheat. Cheating is 1 step forward and 3 steps back. Ignore people who tell you to have a cheat meal.
    - If all else fails just don't eat. Fasting does not kill people and it's actually VERY good for you.
    - Drink plenty of water. If your pee is light yellow then you are perfectly hydrated.
    - Don't skip the green leafy vegetables, it's the best source of fiber you are going to get.
    - Foods labeled "LOW CARB" are almost never low carb. Eat whole foods not fake foods.
    - Stop treating food like it's a reward or something special. Food is fuel. A healthy life is your reward.
    - Don't forget to supplement your sodium and magnesium. It eliminates brain fog and low carb flu.
    - Control your portions. Don't buy into the "you can eat ALL that you want" on keto.
    - Listen to your body. It knows when you are truly hungry and when you are satiated.
    - If someone tells you that keto is unhealthy, they are ignorant and should be ignored.
    - All artificial sweeteners are processed foods, including stevia. But not all of them will affect your blood sugar.
    - You will need a few months of trial and error to figure out how your body will respond to certain foods.
    - If you experience crampings, especially at first, drink pickle juice. It's a sodium - magnesium super cocktail.
    - If you do cheat (and you shouldn't) do not allow guilt or shame to derail you further. Get back on track.
    - Some foods are essential "free" to eat. Foods like Celery and Radishes. Have them around and ready to munch on.

I am sure I will think of more as soon as I click post. :)

phideaux likes this.
  17. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

How do veggies fit in? I am talking about mostly green veggies. I know that root veggies are starchy and have more carbs, but on SB, you can eat lots of fresh veggies like lettuce, cabbage, etc.

18. Grimm

Spinach is one of the best! It has lots of nutrients and is very low net carbs. Lettuce is also good. Again low net carbs. Cabbage (my favorite) is higher in net carbs due to the sugars.

Diet Doctor has some great info-graphics about veggies.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/vegetables

I use MyFitnessPal to help figure out the macros in food. It also helps me keep track of my daily macros. A basic account is free but if you want to be able to track more down to the gram (you can set your goals down to the gram) a paid account may be best.

phideaux likes this.
  19. Sentry18

We eat tons and tons of green veggies. Mixed green salads pretty much daily, green beans with bacon, asparagus stir fried in garlic olive oil, tons of spinach (cooked and raw), lots of raw cauliflower and broccoli with onion dip, etc., etc. When you look at the macros it seems like you will be drinking bottles of oil and eating 10 bites of meat and 1 bite of veggies. But fat is nutritionally dense where healthy carbs are not. So you actually end up eating lots of veggies, a moderate amount of meat and fat becomes a cooking medium, in sauces, condiments, dips, dressings, etc.

I used MFP for the first couple years too. Now I guesstimate. But rest assured it took a long time to guesstimate accurately, even if I initially thought I could. I was wrong. I would always end up over where I should be. But now when I spot check I am usually pretty darn close. I still use MFP if we go out to eat, although I also tend to fast the entire days sans the meal I eat out.

phideaux likes this.
  20. CrackbottomLouis

CrackbottomLouis Winston Smith Sent Me

So I put an 8th of a cup of oats in my breakfast shake and 3 tbls of quinoa flakes in my lunch shake and have a half a cup of grain or half a small potato with dinner. About how many net carbs is that? How close am I to keto? I do go a little heavy on protein but I saw a nutritionist and shared my exercise regimine with her and she said it was heavy but not inappropriate. Everything else is green vegetables and snacks are usually small amounts of biltong.

phideaux likes this.