Keeping Candy

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by Clarice, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

We recieved several boxes of chocolate candy for Christmas. Does anyone know a good way to store it? The boxes are wrapped in cello. Could I just keep them in a popcorn tin?

2. vn6869

vn6869 Afraid, very afraid

Sorry, but I do believe you have a problem with Chocolate.

Hard candy I understand will store almost indefinitely, but chocolate doesn't.

May be wrong, but enjoy while you can. JMHO

3. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

I've eaten some in older mre's. I don't know if they were treated or packed any differently than regular candy. It was a little chalky and white. It tasted slightly different, but not bad or strong. It's been a few years, but I think the mre's were 8-10 yrs old at the time. Maybe vac pack them in a mason jar or pop 'em in the freezer and see how long they last.
    I think tootsie rolls, suckers, sweet tarts might hold up better, but you already have it so you have nothing to loose.

4. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

If I remember right the white "bloom" on chocolate bars is the "fats/cocoa butter" coming to the surface and while not really pretty, not gonna kill ya!
    But chocolates that have different fillings like the jellies and creams and even caramels will not last as long and would probably lose their yummieness much faster than just plain chocolate.
    I just used some of my stored cooking chocolates and while they had the white bloom they melted down and cooked into brownies with no problems and they(the brownies) tasted just fine.
    But if you want them to last a bit longer you could put them in a nice mason jar and then try vacuuming out the air(if you have a vac-packer) or even put them into a single layer and vac-packing them in the food saver type plastic would make them last for several more months as long as they don't get too hot and melt into a nice mixed goo.

5. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

Yes, that is correct. Some say it changes the flavor of the chocolate but I sure can't tell it if it does. :eek:

I have FoodSavered chocolate candies and frozen them and other than just a little bloom (less than when I leave them in the pantry) they seem do last forever.

6. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Thanks so much guys for all the information.