Sr. Homesteader
437 Posts
LOVE IT!!!

Pricey, but worth it, eh?

I'm going to check it out....

Battery life...
Battery replacement cost...
Charge rate...
Available charging stations "underway" (wherever that is)

Do they have a "chopper" version yet? :D
-Basey's an old hippie / biker :rolleyes:

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An alternative to the Brammo Enertia motorcycle is the Zero Motorcycle - similar concept, but, the Zero was originally built as a dual-sport and then was recreated as a supermotard ..

ZERO MOTORCYCLES ? The Electric Motorcycle Company - Official Site

I sat on a Zero at the Calgary motorcycle show a few weeks back. The seat is very stiff, so, I would hope that could change, but, ride-height felt comfortable.

I asked about solar-charging these beasts, but, it seems that I would need to run 4 panels at 12-volt each and one panel at 6-volt in series to give me the required voltage.

The only other option that I can see at the moment is to run a bank of batteries to an inverter to get 120-vac and then using the built-in charger to turn that AC back into DC ... a shame if you ask me.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a picture of my bike on the day that I bought it ... it is being converted over to an emergency BOV - my primary being one of my 5 Jeeps in the stable ..

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Naeked

Nice KLR. I have an 88 that is also one of my BOV/GHV's. I live 50 k's from work and ride from spring to fall so mine is being set up with ammo can panniers and has a pelican trunk as well as my BOB on my back or lashed to the back daily.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Willys ... would you happen to be a moderator on another website that I visit regularly and have an ancient Willy's pickup?

·
www.veggear.blogspot.com
720 Posts
Nice. i have a drz400s that I spent too much modding. It has a big bore kit, drz400e cam, carb and ecm. Clutch and kick stand switches bypassed etc. I miss riding it. It was scary fast. I would "carry" the front tire and not know it until I shifted and it touched back down. A little unnerving some times.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Naekid
Nope not I. I have the name as I used to own a 52 willys M38 modified for extreme offroading and BOV. Unfortunatly I no longer have that Jeep but have just acquired a 77 cj7 project I will be fixing up. The name stuck though as I already was using it on a few forums

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Naekid
Nope not I. I have the name as I used to own a 52 willys M38 modified for extreme offroading and BOV. Unfortunatly I no longer have that Jeep but have just acquired a 77 cj7 project I will be fixing up. The name stuck though as I already was using it on a few forums
Tis alright. There is another Willy's owner near you that moderate's on a KLR-based website ... I thought it was too much of a coincidence - Willy's, KLR650 and from the same general area of Ontario ..

·
Adventurer at large
541 Posts
KLR vs. Electric bike.....

Ride KLR 220 miles, spend ten minutes on gassing, chow and a walk-about, then ride another 220 miles before stopping for the night.

Electric bike, ride 100 miles, find a place to plug 'er in for the night.....

I'll keep my KLR. Besides, I don't see many electric plugs on the forest trees...... :scratch

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll keep my KLR. Besides, I don't see many electric plugs on the forest trees...... :scratch
Really? You don't grow current-bushes in your neck of the woods? :scratch

:sssh:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Nasty...but funny...

Some hikers with a perverse sense of humor have been know to take an electrical outlet box with them to shelters on the Appalachian Trail and nail them to the wall of the lean-to shelters. They then try not to laugh :sssh: at the reaction of the uninitiated, newbie hikers :scratch when they plug into them and try to recharge their cell phones, Ipods, etc. :gaah: More fun than watching television! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts