Just Trekkin'

Discussion in 'General Survival Discussion' started by Explo, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Explo

Explo Member

My son and I are planning a trek when TEOTWAWKI happens. He is a solar weather tech and believes that a CME will be the cause of our chaos. So we're planning to not have access to any electronics. Due to the scale of the EMP and the effects of neutrinos, all electronics will be rendered useless. Although, we will have minimal electronics, IE; flashlight, radio, walkie/talkies, just in case. We're looking at a trip of +1700 mi. Our primary means of trans will be bicycles. Until weather forces the bicycle to become cumbersome. Only then will we abandon them and continue on. I'm hoping we can use them for at least 1000 mi. Although realistically, I doubt that will happen, since it will be in the middle if winter. The 1700 mi. is broken into 3 legs. First leg, 300 miles in the southern third of the US. Him and I to get his wife. Second leg, the 3 of us 800 miles north to get his daughter. For the final leg, we are splitting up. My dog and I, 500 miles to the east to return to my family here and him, his family, and his dog 500 miles to the west to return to her family. I've never camped longer than a cpl weeks. So spending months on end in the bush should be intresting.
    I have most of the major gear figured out, but like everyone knows it's the little things that benefit you or screw you the most.
    So that is what I am looking for is the small, easily overlooked things, that could be beneficial on my 4 or 5 month trek
    Thanks

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Good luck and enjoy your trip. Keep us posted as things progress if you're able. :)

3. efbjr

efbjr Well-Known Member

Check out the following sites:

Appalachian Trail - Whiteblaze.net

Practical Backpacking™ - Useful information for backpackers, hikers, and outdoor-travel enthusiasts.

Lots of stuff re: trekking/backpacking. Lists and reviews of equipment needed. Lots of good advice about food requirements and food prep.

Long distance hikers and preppers have a lot in common in that they both want just enough to make the trip with no wasted effort.

4. BillM

BillM BillM

I don't think

I don't think they are planning a pleasure trip ! :confused:

5. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

Lots of luck.
    You are going to need it.
    1700 miles on a bike in the winter would be an epic journey.
    How do you figure on carrying enough supplies to survive the trip?
    Maybe if you are in top physical shape and 20 years old otherwise I would give you about a 0% chance of making it the first leg.

6. unkinjoe

unkinjoe Member

I don't think hiking the Appalachian trail from end to end is exactly a pleasure trip, unless your into outdoor S&M :D
    2175 miles on foot would not be fun.:cry:

7. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

The best thing you can do is take part in as many "rehearsals" as possible. In my opinion people are more likely to take too much gear rather than not enough.

Food will be your biggest problem on a trip that long. If things are that bad you won't be stopping at McDonald's for meals and probaly not at grocery stores either. Forget living off the land unless you're very proficient at it. Learn how to trap and fish with limb lines, trot lines, etc. for supplementing your food supply while you sleep at night.

Be sure your gear is durable yet be very conscious of the weight you'll be packing. Use the stuff before it's an emergency. I know a lot of peole who love tarps instead of tents but in our neck of the woods mosquitoes will literally eat you alive in a tent certain times of the year.

Oh, and did I mention do some shake-down trips? That's the only way you'll know what to take and what to leave behind.

8. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

I guess I missed something here

First of all why will you both be so far from your families? second,how will you know when this event will hit? It sounds like you plan to be some place on a certain date so you can trek around to do this?? as I said I may have missed something.. but good luck whatever it is...I think if I knew "When" I'd just be home when it hit.. seems like a lot of trouble to go to for a long bike ride..

Nope I just reread your post.. so how do you know this will hit in the winter?.. and that you will be 1700 miles from home?..

I'm not being a doubting Thomas I'm just trying to figure out what your planning..

So..saying, IF yawl have some advanced knowledge please share with us!! :D

9. Dixie

Dixie Well-Known Member

First: Welcome to the Forum.
    Second: May I suggest a great short story from one our own on this Forum? GypseSue wrote "Susan's Story" The Long Ride Home", it's about this very thing. It may give you some ideas.
    I think the CME's are supposed to peak later this year or 2012, is that still correct?

10. Explo

Explo Member

Dixie, according to my son, 2012 early to mid Dec. If I'm remembering correctly.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Greatly appreciated.

Backlash, dont believe everything you think...

Honestly, when thinking about this journey, food wasnt on my list of things to worry about. Not to say that it isnt on my mind, just didnt see it as a primary worry. I was raised around camp sites, been hunting and fishing all my life. That's also how I raised my son. Making a snare trap was one of the first things I taught him. My dog is a german shorthaired pointed. My sons dog is a beagle. We'll both be using 410/22. So even after we split up, between the dogs and fishing, I'm thinking, we have getting food covered.

Yes it is a very long quest, but this isnt going to be a forced march pace. It's vastly different traveling at a casual pace with full pack, than it is "humpin' it" in full 782 gear. And this time I wont be wearing a metal pot on my head. lol
    The fact that I'm traveling with my son, my best friend, will awesome! We'll have a great time

As far as gear is concrened, what I've bought is designed towards durability and weight. Light and strong, is the key. Right down to the snowshoes. lol
    I just love technology. =)

11. GXLancer

GXLancer Semper I

and people call me crazy :dunno:

12. Explo

Explo Member

We're using Dec. of 2012 as the target date. Tenitively speaking, Aug. is when I'll join him.
    My son and his wife are roughly 300 mi. from eachother. They met when he was getting additional job training in the city she works in. Approx. 8 mos after they're marriage he had to moved to a different city do to a promotion. Now they spend their weekends together.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  13. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I have thousands of miles of road that my bicycle tires have passed over and probably close to that same amount of gravel that my bicycle tires have passed over.

I have destroyed bearings, axles, cranks and frames of many bicycles over the years - most of the damage has been done to extreme-built moutain-bikes that should have been able to survive the pavement - and failed! There was one time that I was riding my mountain-bike on flat / level pavement and standing up on the peddles caused my rear axle to shatter. I installed a new titanium axle and repeated my ride and shattered that new axle. I figured that I did something wrong on the install, had the local experts rebuild my whole hub-assembly, check the bike over, and I went out for a ride and shattered the third axle on flat-road with empty saddle-bags (panniers). Would you have spare parts and the tools with which to fix the bikes? Do you have the skills to use the tools?

I have never towed a trailer behind any of my bikes so I can't suggest anything there.

Clothing is the next item to discuss. Using clothing that is suited towards CrossCountry Skiing will keep you flexible and warm while riding bike in the winter time.

Put a set of tire-chains on the bike to help with ice-riding and use disk-brakes on the hub to stop the bike (instead of clamp-to-rim brakes) so that you do not hook on the tire-chains. Run the widest tire you can find with the deepest tread possible for best winter grippage. If you don't want to run tire-chains, you can spike the tires with motorcycle ice-racing spikes.

Finally - keep in physical bicycle-shape. Walking muscles are not good for riding bike. Upper-body strength isn't needed for riding bicycle, so weight-lifting massive amounts of weight won't help you (much).

:goodluck:

14. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

We've never used a single wheel trailer on a bike but, speaking from experience, two wheel trailers are fine on pavement but horrible on gravel or soft surfaces.

Again, make some practice runs to iron out problems. If you're planning on doing this post SHTF you're going to have to keep a low profile so practice that way also. It's always a good idea to have some food with you. If nothing else take along some spices, etc. to flavor up the wild food and give youi a l ittle more variety. I've got a lot of experience hunting but what you're describing is closer to escape and evasion. Hunting/fishing might not always be a good option. Especially in a SHTF situation when half the remaining population may be doing the same thing.

15. Explo

Explo Member

I'm Looking at the bike as if its a bic lighter. I chose Mongoose Vanish Men's Dual-Suspension 21 Speed Mountain Bike
    I'm also trying design a 2.5 x 2.0 rack for the rear of it, that will be strong and stable enough to support my dog. Although, that adds another 75 lbs or so directly on the rear tire. And after reading Naekids post that might not be a viable option.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2011
  16. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Pictured below is a generic picture of a bike-rack designed for saddle-bags. I had a rack similar to that one on the front and back of my bike with quick-connect bags mounted to the racks. I also had a handle-bar bag, a seat-mounted bag and carried an air-pump mounted to the top-bar of my bike, two water bottles mounted to the frame.

The handle-bar bag carried snack-foods, the seat-bag carried a small tool kit and spare tubes, the front panniers carried rain-suit, spare gloves and similar small / light items. The rear rack / panniers carried the majority of my food, clothing and shelter. One of my bikes was weighed out at 150# worth of gear one time, plus my 170# body and it did well enough, nothing broke on that trip.

Another one of my bikes blew out the rear stays (arms that the wheel mounts to) on a slight incline with just my body on it (myself and a back-pack) .. I guess what I am getting at is, you will never know when something can break and it might not be something that you would expect to break (part of the frame, no where near a weld)..

As far as the dog is concerned, teach your dog to run beside the bike, put a pack on his back and make him carry his food / water beside you. Why should you have to carry him - he has four legs designed by God to run with ...

Attached Files:

17. BillM

BillM BillM

All I know

All I know is that you can take two clothes pins and a couple of playing cards and make it sound like it has a motor !:idea:

18. Explo

Explo Member

Already have the deck of cards packed =)

19. CulexPipiens

CulexPipiens Still waiting for the zombies.

My vote would be to try out a trailer. Sure it's 2 more wheels that could have problems, but it could carry a lot of supplies and the dog too if it isn't up to long distance "walks". Downsides would be off roading needs and winter implications... but if your routes are planned for paved roads you've got part of the issue already covered and you're already planning to abandon them when they're not practical anymore. With a trailer you could dump that when it's no longer helping and then perhaps get quite a bit of additional mileage with the bikes alone before dumping them too.

Given that for your plan you have time, any thought to getting an old vehicle that should survive... and perhaps a few spare parts? In one day you could knock out 1/3 - 1/2 of the total mileage. Assuming you don't wait around when something happens, your first day or two would probably still see most people trying to figure out what happened. Get as far as you think you safely can (or have gas for), then switch to the bikes.

20. Explo

Explo Member

We're planning for a major solar event. Such as a CME, in that, we're not planning for the EMP that will happen. Honestly, the EMP is just a inconvenience. The real problem with a CME is Neutrino bombardment. Neutrinos will saturate all electical components, give them the conductivity properties of rubber, rendering them usless. Reguardless of how shielded or whether its turned off. And besides, an EMP from something like that would be of such a scale that our "shielding" would be but a bug against the windshield. Of course, if we've access to motor vehicles, we'll deffinately utilize them.

As for the dog, running along side. Keeping pace with us isnt my worry. Because he does run along with me on my daily rides. Running along side keeping pace for days on end, is. It is very easy to outpace him on a bike. So, if i can throw his butt up on a rack I'll be able to travel at a faster rate for longer periods of time.