Just Starting Out

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by horseluv, Apr 11, 2011.

1. horseluv

horseluv New Member

Me and my husband are just starting out at this we purchased a property in SE Mo and it is off the grid. We have a tornado shelter but it needs WORK. We really want to be prepared we have a garden and water storage, a chicken coop with 10 hens and 2 roosters but as far as home readyness we are blind and are looking for a guide. Thanks in advance :D

2. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Lots of folks with lots of prepper knowledge on this forum, Horseluv. Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't be afraid to search topics here. Last but not least, don't be afraid to share what you learn!

3. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

Sure are brave to have two roosters! :2thumb:

Lots and lots of info out there .... One day, one step at a time.

Right now, outside of water and food storage, I am looking at heating the house without power. We didn't build in a wood heater. Solar?

I have a bet you guys aren't as blind as you think....

just wanted to say HI !!! :beercheer:

4. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

I'd start workin on food an supplies.

Food, start out with can goods an then expand inta dried foods.

Supplies, lanterns, kitchen wares, toiletries, medical an so on.

Shop round a bit an be sure ta ask questions. An welcome ta the nieghborhood!

5. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

It sounds to me like you are MUCH farther along than a lot of us on this site. Add some food and water storage to what you have and you will probably be better off than 50% of us (maybe even more).

Browse some of the topics and see what others are doing (or have done). You'll soon know what you need to do. Thanks for joining us and ... :welcome:

6. horseluv

horseluv New Member

I wish I was more prepared, however we are totally dependent on electricity and propane our stove, water heater and heat are propane. And everything else is electric. We are running into problems finding ways to convert and what to not to....any ideas:wave:

7. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

There is a list (maybe someone can point them in the right direction) somewhere of 100 things to disappear first when the balloon goes up. This is the list I started out with after I had the food thing under control. I am still working from that list and boosting up the stock I already have. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Everyday is a learning experience. Prepare for the worst and Pray for the best.

8. carolexan

carolexan Junior Member

9. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

I'd get me a wood cookstove, cause ya can cook on it an heat the house without any power a any sorts.

Fer electric ya can go ta solar with inverters, but it ain't cheap, but can be built upon so it ain't all up front.

A solar hot water heater works perty well to, if ya get some cold weather yall might have ta supplement it with propane, er they got wood fired hot water heaters to, although I ain't sure they be the best idear.

I guess it sorta depends on what comforts an convininces yall wan't, I mean ya can get buy with lanterns fer light, wood fer cookin an heatin an a hand pump well an also a outhouse. The more convininces yall wan't the more power a some sort yer gonna have ta have. They make a propane fridge/freezer what works well, but again, they ain't cheap.

10. MrSfstk8d

MrSfstk8d Well-Known Member

Welcome, enjoy. Sounds like you're pointed on the right path. Keep persevering.