Just killed a seven rattler:

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by DJgang, Apr 26, 2011.

1. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

Yep, rattlesnake. Seven rattles.

He's nice and fat. Was under the tractor, thank God the kids were not home yet from school, or they would have been out there...

I know why it's around, no dogs. My dog died this past winter and the neighbors did as well. The other two neighbors dogs do not come around our home.

I may have to get another puppy. At least when we had dogs we never saw snakes, now that they are gone, the first one we kill is a rattlesnake! :eek:

2. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Now what did that snake ever do to you?:rolleyes: "jk"

I have not seen a rattler in years, (knock on wood ;)) and that was when we were living in W. Va. Cottonmouth, copperhead and black snakes are what we have to deal with around here.

On a side note my hubby and his Grandpa used to live hunt rattlers for a certain kind of church, up on the mountain. :eek: Gives me a chill to think about hubby doing that ... or the church folk for that matter. (but to each their own.)

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

Rattlesnake Recipes and Cooking with Snake Meat

Featured Recipe

Spicy Rattlesnake Pasta

1/4 cup olive oil
    3 large garlic cloves, minced
    1 28 oz can Italian tomatoes
    1 dried hot red chilies, minced
    1 tbsp. oregano
    2 tsp. dried basil
    2 tsp. black pepper
    1 tsp. salt
    juice from 1/2 lemon
    1/2 lb. rattlesnake meat
    1 lb penne or pasta of choice

Simmer rattlesnake in water and lemon juice for 1 hour, remove and separate meat from bones.

Combine de-boned meat with the rest of the ingredients (except pasta) in large saucepan and simmer for 1/2 hour.

Cook pasta as normal and serve over cooked pasta

4. DJgang

I am trying to get my hubby to skin it...really..he said, I'd eat rattlesnake...

5. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

We were just talking about eating rattlers the other day. lol ... Kind of spooky... and thanks for the recipe, I will pass it on.

6. DJgang

well, appears that yesterday morning, my husband killed a copperhead as he was leaving ...didn't tell me until this morning...

I need to get a dog, I guess...

7. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

If the copperhead was leaving, why did he kill him? :rolleyes: :D

8. DJgang

ha....guess that sounded that way...:eek:

9. lexsurivor

lexsurivor Well-Known Member

So it wont come back.

10. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Where I live in PA we have copperheads but I've never seen one in the wild. And living on a farm I spend plenty of time out and about. Fortunately, they're not that plentiful in my area.

11. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

The Copperheads are scary. We lived in SE Kentucky for 6 years, and I tell you what, I'd take a rattler any day. At least they give a warning. The copperheads blend in and lay quietly in the leaves...

Glad no one got hurt, DJgang!

and blob...thanks for the recipe! Nice touch! :D

12. HarleyRider

Uh oh.... Harley feels a joke (or two) coming on.... :eek:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What do you get if you cross a snake and a lego set ?
    A boa constructor ![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What do you get if you cross a snake and a pig ?
    A boar constrictor !

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What do you do if you find a poisonous snake in your toilet ?
    Wait till he's finished !

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Which hand would you use to pick up a dangerous snake ?
    Someone else's !

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What sort of perfume do snakes prefer ?
    Poison by Christian Dior !

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What do you call a snake who works for the government ?
    A civil serpent ![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What do you get if crossed a new born snake with a basketball ?
    A bouncing baby boa ![/FONT]

:surrender:

13. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Harley... :lolsmash:

Here's another one, to help lighten the mood:
    A old snake goes to see his Doctor. “Doc, I need something for my eyes…can’t see well these days”. The Doc fixes him up with a pair of glasses and tells him to return in 2 weeks. The snake comes back in 2 weeks and tells the doctor he’s very depressed. Doc says, “What’s the problem…didn’t the glasses help you?” “The glasses are fine doc, I just discovered I’ve been living with a water hose the past 2 years!”

14. HarleyRider

That lends a whole new meaning to the phrase "hose job". :D