Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking for a couple weeks, but don't want to rush into anything, ya know?

I grew up on a farm in western NY, near Buffalo, but moved to Northern Illinois in my 20's. Quite a bit of water has gone under the bridge since then. A little over a year ago, hubby and I finally found a rural ag property that we could afford and made the switch from suburbia to farmette living. Our suburban yard was so chock full o gardens and fruit trees, you could hardly walk on lawn, but we hated the surroundings. So here we are, starting over again on a new property.

I planted apple, pear, plum and cherry (pie) trees, currant bushes, strawberries, rhubarb, horseradish, raspberries and grapes this spring...got the garden laid out and started (needs a lot of manure though), and started raising chickens. I sell eggs and give them to friends and neighbors who are having some trouble making ends meet.

I pick up the old produce that would otherwise be thrown in the dumpster at 2 local grocery stores. I sort it into compost, chicken food and stuff that is still good enough to eat. I have been canning some, freezing some and sending some to a local church with a friend.

We have been trying to get set up so that we are prepped for power outages, etc. We're putting in a wood stove for alternative heat and looking at generators, solar and wind power.

I keep enough food on hand for several months, need to work on the water preps and security issues. I guess that sums it up.

Just wanted to say "howdy".

·
Registered
333 Posts
Welcome to the forum :wave:

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Hello & Welcome!

:welcome:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Welcome to the forum Crazychickenlady, sounds like you have a lot of knowledge to share. Just jump right in!

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us!

You should like you're getting pretty well set up! Awesome!

:)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Glad to have another member's source of info, both good and bad! Sounds like you've put together a good plan and are well into the working it out phase.

We too uprooted in 09, moving back to one of our rental properties that is nearly paid off. its on a couple of acres with a huge garden spot, a few fruit trees, a small barn, etc. We heat solely with wood, the recent tornados in AR have provided a bounty of "firewood on the hoof" as my brother would say... Neighbors are happy to have us cut all we can haul.

We raise chickens and used to raise milk goats, may get a few goats this fall. We figure we can provide most of our own vegetables, fruit, chicken & goat meat, venison in season, eggs, soon (hopefully soon) milk and cheese products.

I have a few pictures on my profile page or the albums page, under "All things grow with love"

Glad you decided to join!

·
Still waiting for the zombies.
1,596 Posts
Welcome!

The wife and I took our granddaughter to the Discovery Center over in your neck of the woods last weekend. Although I'm guessing you're a bit outside of the "downtown" area. :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome!

The wife and I took our granddaughter to the Discovery Center over in your neck of the woods last weekend. Although I'm guessing you're a bit outside of the "downtown" area. :D
It's a great place to take the kids, we took our son when he was younger. They have some great classes for home schooled kids. We've home schooled him since 2nd grade. Did you get a chance to go to the Burpee Museum too?

Thanks for all of the warm welcomes. I'm happy to share info that I have, if you have specific questions, just let me know.

We are looking into a hand pump for our well, just in case the electric is out. After a severe thunderstorm on Monday, there are people in our area who are still without power today. Made me step up my efforts to get hubby on the same page as me when it comes to preparedness for power outages, zombie apocolypse, that kinda thing. ;)

·
1,596 Posts
It's a great place to take the kids, we took our son when he was younger. They have some great classes for home schooled kids. We've home schooled him since 2nd grade. Did you get a chance to go to the Burpee Museum too?
Nope. She's only 3 and most of the activies we do with her are still centered more around play than anything else, however we still take advantage of playing to teach her. Her memory is amazing and it's fun to go "play in the garden" during which we teach her the plant names and how bees are good for pollinating and that some plants make veggies that we can then eat, etc. She also loves animals and we take her to a small "zoo" which is really more of a collection of farm animals that they use to teach kids. The chickens are her favorites although the goats are a close second.

We keep trying to convince our daughter that she should home school her but the son-in-law and his parents are sheeple in every sense of the word and will never go for that. We just bite our tongue a lot.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Illinois is one of the best states for home schoolers. Since your granddaughter is still preschool age, your daughter could take her to a home school group just for fun.

My whole family was cool to the idea. Now that my son is 15 and taking college classes, they have really warmed up to the whole idea! My Mom couldn't believe that I would try to teach him through high school:D She was worried about 'socialization', but he is able to talk to 'kids' who are ages 3 to 93 and have a real conversation. I call that social! He has never felt the pressure to do drugs, wear certain clothes or fit in. He is just who he is and could care less if someone doesn't like what he is wearing. I can't image going back and changing my decision to pull him from public school and teach him at home.

If your daughter is interested, she can email me for more info. Just say the word!

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
Welcome! (from a fellow homeschooler :D - there's a few of us on this site ;) ) Sounds like you've been on an impressive journey! :2thumb: I'm glad you're able to get and make use of that produce; I don't know of any stores that are 'allowed' to do that, and it's such a waste! I may have a few questions for you when we start raising chickens next year. :D

Culex, if your daughter has any questions about homeschooling, feel free to have her contact me. (Can't help with the sheeple though... :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome! (from a fellow homeschooler :D - there's a few of us on this site ;) ) Sounds like you've been on an impressive journey! :2thumb: I'm glad you're able to get and make use of that produce; I don't know of any stores that are 'allowed' to do that, and it's such a waste! I may have a few questions for you when we start raising chickens next year. :D

Culex, if your daughter has any questions about homeschooling, feel free to have her contact me. (Can't help with the sheeple though... :rolleyes: )
I'm not sure if the health dept codes in our county are less stringent or if the stores I go to are not that concerned about it. But it has helped a lot with the chicken feed bill. They love the fresh stuff.

I'm sure there are plenty of people here who will be happy to help if you have chicken questions!

·
1,596 Posts
Thanks for the offers. If it were soley her decision I think she would home school. Heck my wife (grandma) has even offered to do so but his parents inherited a nice chunk of change (oh the preps I could do with it)... and they are very much of a "do it like everyone else" and "the gov will come help us" and they've instilled that into him. He has no job... essentially got fired from his one day a week coffee shop clerk as even for that one day he kept calling in "sick" at least once a month. He is mr. mom in every bad way you can imagine. Our daughter is the sole income earner and appears to be the only one who can handle anything around the house too. It frustrates us to no end but I guess love in blind. If we say anything it just upsets her and drives her away as she feels we're picking on him. There is a lot more I could say but it just gets my blood pressure up. OK, sorry, I'm done venting now. :)

Given that situation our preps is with the expectation that we'll be taking them in if something happens. Although if we do he will pull his weight or I'll have no problem kicking him out on his....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I planted apple, pear, plum and cherry (pie) trees, currant bushes, strawberries, rhubarb, horseradish, raspberries and grapes this spring..

I keep enough food on hand for several months, need to work on the water preps and security issues. I guess that sums it up.

Just wanted to say "howdy".
Hi CCL,You certainly have taken the utilized all resourses and taken the task to hand. You have much to teach!
I'm new here myself!, and so wish we could move to our place in Mo. For the next few years, we must be content to learn new skills and prep the best we can in a west coast apartment. We have half of your fruit in containers growing up on a second floor balcony "orchard, not much produced besides currants yet, tho.
Cheers
vesper

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi CCL,You certainly have taken the utilized all resourses and taken the task to hand. You have much to teach!
I'm new here myself!, and so wish we could move to our place in Mo. For the next few years, we must be content to learn new skills and prep the best we can in a west coast apartment. We have half of your fruit in containers growing up on a second floor balcony "orchard, not much produced besides currants yet, tho.
Cheers
vesper
That's excellent! Container gardens are great and you are wise to plant one :)

I understand how it feels to keep waiting for the opportunity to live where you want to. Even this place is 600 miles from where my heart lies, in western NY where I grew up. Stick it out...someday you'll get there!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts