Jupiter and Venus

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by kettleMan, Dec 4, 2008.

1. kettleMan

kettleMan Guest

Did anyone see Jupiter and Venus next to the moon on Monday or Tuesday night? I can't remember exactly when it was now. It was awesome though! One was bigger than the other but I don't know which one was which.

A friend told me to look so I did and then I became curious why this happens but unfortunately my friend did not know. Can anyone tell me please?

2. Denny

Denny Praying for America

I'm watching them nightly, here in Iraq. They are absolutely brilliant away from all the city lights. Last night, there was a late moon here and those two alone, could cast a crisp shadow of my profile on the ground. I'm thinking about getting a telescope sent to me. Every night is wasted otherwise.

3. chUck

chUck Guest

How awesome! I was wishing I had a telescope the other night when we could see them. Would have loved to take a closer look.

4. dilligaf

dilligaf Well-Known Member

they were awesome even though on monday night i couldnt see anything. I have been watching them get closer n brighter for over a month now and was so looking forward to the grand finale with the moon monday. I did get a nice show on tuesday evening though even though the alignment was not what it was monday. Bummer too, next time it happens will be 2052 and i will most likely be long dead... :D

5. Coach T.

Coach T. Guest

It was a great sight to see! So does anybody know why this happens or what it is called?

6. wd4nyl

wd4nyl Member

It's called "conjunction" and it takes place when a planet is closely aligned with another celestial object, such as the Moon, a star, or another planet. The planets orbit the sun at different distances and a so make complete orbits at different times. Occasionally from Earth's position they appear to pass each other. It's really an optical illusion, they aren't closer, just in the same line of site.

7. Big B

Big B Well-Known Member

Sure is cool to see, isn't it????

8. wd4nyl

wd4nyl Member

It sure is!

Another thing to look for is the Geminid meteor Shower which peaks on December 13-14. The Geminids are usually one of the year’s best meteor showers. To me it's even better than the better publicized Perseids of August.

9. Avarice

Avarice Guest

I have never watched a meteor shower before. Do they last all through the night time or is there a certain time that we should we be watching for it? I would like to catch it if I can! Thanks for the info, wd4nyl!

10. wd4nyl

wd4nyl Member

The best time to observe is around 2 AM, since the Earth is then heading directly into the metoer stream.

But, I'm usually to lazy to do. With the Geminids, by observing from 7PM till midnight I've always had good success.

11. Murrel-Maher

Murrel-Maher Guest

Aw damn, I forgot to watch the meteor shower this weekend! Bummer :(