Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is you garden growing?

Peas are starting to come in ... and I have some green maters ...

Now the question ... fried green maters or wait for them to turn red ... :scratch lol

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
So far about 20lb.s of squash,2 lb.s okra,cucumbers,hundreds of plums.Planted more okra and squash which is coming up good.

Started them all inside in Feb.Then moved them out under plastic in late March.

Apples,peppers,beans,figs,toms watermellons are all a few weeks from harvest.Started beans late.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts

Now the question ... fried green maters or wait for them to turn red ... :scratch lol
I'm one of the few southerners who does'nt like fried green tomatos.I have some big green ones on the vine my neighbor was eyeing.I'm waiting for those to ripen.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Bought the same as you *Andi, small green maters, small squash are easily seen. Everything else is growing nicely, the heat, and moisture in the ground are making everything jump.

Lettuce is coming in nicely. And the other radishes are in. As long as the bugs stay away we should be good.

·
803 Posts

Fry half, keep half....:D

Love dem fried green 'maters!!!

Had some fine sautaued in butter squash and mater sandwiches last nite for supper.

Jimmy

·
I put SAs on IGNORE!
2,426 Posts
One of my Roma tomato plants has a brown something on the leaves, hubby went ahead and pulled it because last year all our plants got this...

Does anyone know what this might be...meanwhile...off to google it.

Thanks!

·
785 Posts
Ugh! All you people with already growing gardens.

Out west here, we're just getting started. We do have some corn starts coming up, about two inches high. Put in some tomatoes, but the first try, they began to "fade", and the only thing we can determine was lack of sunshine (our liquid sunshine here in Oregon does not count), plus too acidic soil, so we replanted some new starts, added lime, triple 16 and some alfalfa pellets, mixed it all in and then the new starts. Though I hated to see live, although sad looking, tomato plants go to waste, and I replanted the damaged ones elsewhere with the same mix, might be able to revive them and will have lots of tomatoes.

Strawberries are going here, but then again it was what we have always done best out here, berries. Just now dry enough to go out and finish planting a mix of starts and seeds.

We'll see how it all goes, we're new to this place, just moved in late November, and the side field once had just blueberries in it, and I think the soil was ammended so much just for those that it might be pretty acidic. This fall we plan to add lots of chicken manure tainted straw, grass clippings and horse manure (from the field behind us for FREE!), and let it mulch in. I can bet next years crop will be better because of it.

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
I also have some small green tomatoes.
And lots and lots of Spearmint.
The lemon balm also exploded while I was away.

·
New here
137 Posts
One of my Roma tomato plants has a brown something on the leaves, hubby went ahead and pulled it because last year all our plants got this...

Does anyone know what this might be...meanwhile...off to google it.

Thanks!
I haven't experienced it, but remember the guy at the Co-op in Columbiana saying that a lot of people reported their tomatoes getting some sort of fungus that turned the leaves brown before killing the infected plants. I've had fantastic luck with tomatoes the last 2 years I've had a garden, as well as okra, but the army worms killed all of my squash and cucumbers.

I had a good looking crop of bush beans last year that were just starting to bloom when the leaves all turned yellow followed by the whole plant, even after I picked the first yellow leaves off I saw a day or two before they all turned yellow. They were all dead within 2 days. I never did figure out what caused it. :cry::cry:

·
Supporting Member
1,669 Posts
Here in eastern washington it should be quite hot by now but alas, our high has been 80 for 3 days. I'm grateful for that this year, so much rain. Not use to this, knocked the garden pretty far back but:: beans are up nicely, tomatoes starting to bloom, 1 bloom on the squash........have beets, carrots, parsnips just starting to come through the ground. I pray blessing on my garden because the Word says that I reap what I sow.,...I'm expecting a great harvest!! :flower:

·
785 Posts
neldarez, I think of prophecy about famines when I hear about bad weather (last year here in the west side of the Cascades, we really did not have a summer and NO ones gardens produced) affecting food production and also people talking about fungus and plant diseases also prohibiting a good harvest.

I also have been hearing that other nations, who are big food producers, have had troubles too.

I too pray for a good harvest this year. This will be our first where we are now living, we lived in a duplex, with limited growing space, and also too many tree's shading that yard. This time, we have about 3/4 acre area along the side of the house we are in, and we have half of this tilled up and have begun planting. Overall we have 1,350 square feet of growing space. We have chickens fenced in on the back half of that 3/4 acre (we need them for food too).

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Peaches!!!

I will be canning peaches in the morning. :2thumb: One of my girls went to S.C. (the beach) and brought me back a bushel of peaches to work up. (for dog sitting :rolleyes:)

Does she know her mom or not! lol She knows I would not take money for watching her dogs for a few days, but it is hard for me to pass up fresh fruits ... lol

Peaches in the cellar will be nice. :D I will also help her put up the peaches she bought for her family.

·
785 Posts
Peaches....mmmmm. Out here it is pears and apples. However, there are some orchards with peach trees and apricots. So much cheaper in the orchards than at store level, and our favorite thing is to go up to Hood River (Oregon) to get the culls when harvest is in. Fresh pressed cider too.....

I remember my great-grandmother always smelled like apples. She wore the classic apron, she was a strong old farm wife and would swoop me up and hug me and always smelled like fresh cut apples. We could always count on a bowl of frozen blueberries with sugar on them while we were there, it was her specialty, along with lining her clean kitchen floor with newspaper and putting on a huge stock pot with oil and popcorn, leave it unlidded and let it pop everywhere and let us run around to try to catch it mid-air!

Farm grandmothers knew how to enjoy life in her generation.

·
Registered
983 Posts
We picked our peaches yesterday, did not get as many as last year, but they are bigger. Yum! Two trees left that are not quite ready. My yellow squash is producing like there is no tomorrow, zucs are doing okay. But that fresh lettuce has me on a salad binge. Blue berries are starting to ripen. We have tomatoes the size of baseballs but no red ones yet. The snap beans are blooming and beets are starting to get some size to them.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Here in the Panhandle of FL, we're experiencing drought. Had to leave town for a little over a week, a neighbor took care of the chickens and goats, but the garden all but died. Trying to salvage what we can, water it, and praying for rain. The farmers in the area will lose their crops if we don't get rain soon. This will be the first year in a long time that I haven't canned peppers, pickles, tomatoes, etc... It's a reality check for sure! One failed crop can make all the difference in the world, especially now. :(

·
Meoww
643 Posts
Peaches!!!

I will be canning peaches in the morning. :2thumb: One of my girls went to S.C. (the beach) and brought me back a bushel of peaches to work up. (for dog sitting :rolleyes:)

Does she know her mom or not! lol She knows I would not take money for watching her dogs for a few days, but it is hard for me to pass up fresh fruits ... lol

Peaches in the cellar will be nice. :D I will also help her put up the peaches she bought for her family.
My neighbor has peach trees. He lets me take as many as I want.

·
Supporting Member
1,669 Posts
Here in the Panhandle of FL, we're experiencing drought. Had to leave town for a little over a week, a neighbor took care of the chickens and goats, but the garden all but died. Trying to salvage what we can, water it, and praying for rain. The farmers in the area will lose their crops if we don't get rain soon. This will be the first year in a long time that I haven't canned peppers, pickles, tomatoes, etc... It's a reality check for sure! One failed crop can make all the difference in the world, especially now. :(
It's a bit scary isn't it when our normal is no longer normal! I prayed for rain for your area.......So much of the U.S. have lost their land this year, food crops will not be grown where we expect them. Fires raging in Arizona...wow, not our norm...........:gaah:

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
It's scary how places that usually get adequate rainfall...are having serious drought. Places that normally get light rainfall are drowning with flood water. We bounce back and forth here. Drenched for a week, not a drop for a week, etc., and our ground dries out almost instantly after the rain stops. Within a few days I'm watering the garden to keep it alive, only to have it nearly drown a few days after I water.

I do have a lot of things coming up though: peas, potatoes, broccoli, beets, probably more. Apple and cherry trees just now blossoming, which is the normal time here. Now I just have to watch out for frost while the blossoms are on.

Peaches! Andi, my mouth watered just reading that! What a wonderful daughter! :)

·
Banned
399 Posts
One farmer near me has lost about 800 acres of grain crops to floods and another few hundred acres to drought, all within a few miles of each other.

·
785 Posts
Honestly, so far this year, we are wetter than normal for us, and still cool. The rain is slowing down finally, and this is not an issue, it is the temperatures. We need more warmth for things to really take off and our time is always later than everyone else's.

The only thing that has "produced" so far is our six meat birds we just took into the processors, two roosters and four hens, and boy were those roosters BIG (well, two weeks at the end of nothing but cracked corn). Looking forward to that tomorrow night, right after that first big boy gets a long soak in some salty water and spices!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.