Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A skydiver from Staffordshire has survived a 6,000ft free fall in Russia without his parachute.

James Boole, from Tamworth, said he was supposed to have been given a signal by another skydiver to open the parachute, but it came two seconds too late.

Mr Boole, who was filming the other skydiver for a television documentary, landed on snow-covered rocks and suffered a broken back and rib.

"What went through my mind was my wife and my daughter," he said.

"I really thought that I was going to die - incredible feeling of sadness and just how unfair that was."

Mr Boole, who has made 2,500 jumps, is now back at home in a body brace.

He said: "(The other flyer) took us so close to the ground where I thought I was dead.

"When I finally looked at the ground and realised how low I was, I knew there was no time for me to get a full parachute above my head.

"For the first 48 hours after the accident I thought maybe I am dead and this is some kind of after-life limbo, or some other reality, because I couldn't make sense of it - how I was still here to come through this?"

His wife, Kristina, who is also a skydiver, said: "For the moment I'm thinking just of him to recover, so not about jumping or anything like that.

"But yeah (I) would like him to stop doing that."

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Staffordshire | Jumper survives 6,000ft free fall

·
Function over Form
524 Posts
There have been a few no-chute survivals in the past years. At least a few of them have been on TV shows.

Yeah, I can't explain it either, especially when they talk about the survivor bouncing back in the air a good distance after the first impact without a chute.

·
Registered
9 Posts
1300 foot fall-mine

In 1972 while at Ft Bragg ,I jumped and the main failed and the reserve was wet-meaning it does not open. I hit a hard packed clay runway.
37 years later V.A awarded me my 100% disability. Slow but sure.
On my 11th aniversary of the accident, I jumped in Arizona while working for Soldier of Fortune Magizine. That was my last jump.RR

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Wow. How badly were you hurt? Do you remember the accident?

·
Registered
9 Posts
jump

I was told I stop trying to open my reserve at tree top level,about 200'.
Most likely I blacked out.

Damage report,if you could screw it up I did. Lots of good people , support plus prayer I did real good. If I am on a hill side I need to make sure my short leg is on the top side.
Best Regards,RR

·
Registered
9 Posts
jump

I jumped on the 10th anniversary of my parachute accident while working for Soldier of Fortune Magazine in 1983 while we were in Phoenix Az for a convention.

Best Rgards,RR

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got my jump boots in '90..been out of the Army since 1992. I have never jumped in my civilian life, but from what I understand the landings are usually a lot easier in those. I would have to say that I am no a very brave person. If there had ever been any problms with a jump that I don't think I would do it again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts