July - Fruit & Veggie general chat

Discussion in 'Gardening and Agriculture' started by *Andi, Jul 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I love the smell of the house today ...

The apples drying and the ones in the pot ... Then the few peaches on the table blends in, and then faint hint of spices from the pickles.

... July is here and the garden is really starting to rock & roll ... :woohoo:

Happy Gardens :wave:

2. neldarez

neldarez Supporting Member

[​IMG]Fruit here is not even close to being ready......but, we stole baby taters out of the garden yesterday.....yum yum........finally my son showed me why I couldn't upload my garden pic....they were too big.....I'm going to post a picture now ( I hope)

3. neldarez

[​IMG] Couldn't help myself, Had to post another one cuz I know how now!! :2thumb:

4. Immolatus

Immolatus Just getting started. Always.

I found someone on craigslist selling hot peppers for cheap, so I bought Hungarian waxy reds, jalapenos, some other kind of hot pepper, some cauliflower and broccoli. Gonna plant em tomorrow.
    Hes an older fellow with a bum leg, and said he had a 3 acre plot at another location. He lived in a regular suburban house with a small backyard that was practically full with his garden. I was amazed, and jealous.
    I offered to help him out at his other place during my day off, so hopefully he'll give me a call and let me help him. He prolly thought I was nuts.

5. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

neldarez, that looks FABULOUS!!! thanks for posting the pics! :)

6. neldarez

Thanks goshengirl.....I'm so excited about sharing pics! Guess what. I just made my first chicken broth.....tee hee, yep, 62 years old ( 2 weeks from now) and I just made my first chicken broth. I also just cooked my first time ever ever ever in the pressure cooker! move over Martha Stewart cuz this lady is on her way up......:2thumb:

7. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I hope it works out for you, I have done this in the past and it worked out well for both of us. :goodluck:

neldarez, great picture!

8. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

Neldarez, what a beautiful garden!

I wish I had that much space or actually even more. And it is well groomed. I do some weeding in my little yard almost everyday, but you know weeds. They win! I have packed plants into almost all the space in my yard and keep taking more and more grass away and growing more vegetables. Outside the fence, by the street, people help themselves to tomatoes, cantaloupes and cucumbers. I always plant lots of them and try not to miss the ones that feed the others.

I have an idea of growing lots of corn for grinding into corn meal, and making into posole and masa harina. I would also like this corn to be blue due to the added protein and lack of GMO. It could also be organically grown without fertilizers and weed killers.

9. Possumfam

Possumfam Well-Known Member

:congrat: Great post! Made me smile - almost laugh! :2thumb: Way to go!

Getting tired of canning. :eek: Did I say that out loud? How do you know when to quit canning a specific item? Then, what do you do w/ all the rest? Don't want to can anymore tomatoes or green beans, but they're still out there - taunting me. When the figs finish, all the fruit will be done. Still need to can peppers, maybe some black eyed peas, and a few odds and ends, but I'm hoping I'm getting to the point of fall garden w/o any more preserving. I don't know about y'all, but it's hot down here!

10. Possumfam

:melikey: Love that, too!

11. Immolatus

Immolatus Just getting started. Always.

Thanks Andi, I'll need it. I did eat the one cherry tomato that didnt get eaten by...something...

12. Jeanie

Jeanie Active Member

OH I feel much better. There are others here who are over 50 and having "firsts"!!!!
    My first garden (small) is coming up as we type! Yellow Finn potatoes and Swedish peanut potatoes are growing SO FAST. Fruit trees... we'll see. The Strawberry patch = wildlife feeder Hee Hee
    Your pictures are inspiring. A million Thanks. jeanie

13. Jaspar

Jaspar Well-Known Member

House stinks of beets. Canning the bejesus out of them right now (the ones we don't eat right out of the garden of course. :wave:)

Green beans raspberries are ready to start picking and tomatoes are green and plump.

Strawberries and peas are done for now. :(

14. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

The danged worms got my beautiful dill plants. :(

I was admiring how big and pretty they were last night. This morning they are stubby little things. Only thing left are stems ... :mad::(:mad::(:mad::(

:gaah::gaah::gaah:

15. power

power ExCommunicated

Same thing happened to some of mine. The part of the garden where the ducks and chickens can get to remains free of bugs.

16. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Goats are at it again.

Part of our garden shares a fence with the pasture. I have 2x4 wire welded fence around it. Danged if one of the goats didn't tear a small section out yesterday while I was working. :gaah: She/they ate ALL my broccoli which I was going to cut this weekend. They also got most of the wax beans.
    I just can't win. :surrender:

17. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Dang it, Uncle Joe! That stinks!

18. Possumfam

OUCH! That hurts!

Badgebunny and Power - We have had sooooo much dill that we freecycled dozens of volunteers this spring and because the cukes didn't do anything - no pickles. We don't use dill for anything else. Is there a way I could send you some? Can you use it dry, or was it for landscaping or something else? Don't know if I can help, but we have an abundance!

19. power

power ExCommunicated

Thanks.
    I have plenty. I don't use much dill but like the plant and like the smell. I plant it knowing I won't have a use for it. I find planting plenty of different herbs along with the other plants keeps a lot of bugs away.
    I enjoy all types of plants, even some weeds. Just like to see them growing. Don't really mind the bugs as I plant plenty for everyone. I can let the chickens and ducks run through the garden with no problem. Sure they eat some things but I was going to feed most of it to some animal anyway.

Any pecked, bitten, or bug bite vegetables go to the free ranging guinea pigs.
    They enjoy it but just have too short legs to get it themselves.

20. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Picked our first green beans yesterday. Also picked tomatoes, cucumbers, squash (have already canned 21qts), okra and collards. Thank you Lord for the bounty.