Jello

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by sailaway, Apr 15, 2011.

1. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I learned this one at scout camp while going through training last weekend. A great cold weather energy food is liquid jello. it's loaded with protein and sugar, just boil water and have a nice warm energy drink. It's a great substitute for water, coffee or energy drinks, has many flavors to choose from. I think I will add a couple packs to my BOB.:cool:

2. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I've heard that also .... along with a lot of doctors have started asking moms to give their babies liquid jello ... don't remember right off hand way but they did.

My aunt was having a fit and offerening jello to anyone that came to visit, mom and baby. lol

The baby would drimk some and the rest went to the frig for 'jello'.

3. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

Gotta love Jello:2thumb: Great source of calories & protein when your sick to your stomach & a must have with kiddos!

4. BizzyB

BizzyB BucketHunter

Not to mention calcium which is used by the immune system. Gelatin is a really easy food to digest and assimilate -- which is good for little'uns and adults alike. I'll sometimes add a little flavorless gelatin to chicken soup when family members get sick. I have no data showing that it helps other than the 'secret' of so-called "Jewish Penicillin" (aka chicken soup as a cure for the cold) is reputed to be the high gelatin content of the chicken bones and feet.

Agree wholeheartedly that it's a good food to stock.

5. semperscott

semperscott Well-Known Member

Anybody have any idea the shelf life of jello? In sealed mylar bags and just in the box?

6. MrSfstk8d

MrSfstk8d Well-Known Member

Not sure what the box says, but in the box, if you keep the critters off of it, it's at least a couple of years.

7. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

When the kids were babies and big enuf to be able to eat a bit but still used a bottle, when they got sick with the runs the dr. told me to make warm jello and feed them the liquid-was supposed to be easy on their tummy and good for them... Now I wanna go and pick some up,, its on sale.

8. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

What a great idea.