Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife owns a Jeep Latitude. Cute machine that goes through snow pretty well. Great gas mileage - in the summer 32+ and winter 25+. In late winter we started having problems , the gas tank wouldn't fill. The dealer was talking about $2,000 (really!) for replacing the gas line, /breather tube and carbon filter. If that didn't work the dealer's mechanics figured it would need a new gas tank. Dollar signs were everywhere! I took it to an ex-student, a mechanic, and we talked. The system wasn't leaking and it would take .2 gallons at a time. It sounded to me like there was condensed water in the breather line that froze. He agreed and replaced the filter and then blew the breather line with air pressure. it fills like it was new. The total cost was less than $130 (including $30 worth of gas the ex-studend put in to see if we were right).

·
WELL SEASONED
812 Posts
I developed problems with my 07 f150 truck, pump would keep kicking off during filling but would fill very slowly. I removed the charcoal canister twice and blew air through it and couldn't find any problems with it. I put a piece of pex tubing down the filler pipe and ran a small usb wired camera down the tube and could see a stainless steel screen at the bottom of the filler neck and on the screen was black rubber pieces. I used a flexible pincher tool and removed all the rubber pieces and problem corrected.

Reactions: headhunter

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Having a trusted independent can save so much $$... I used to go tot the dealer until one time they quoted me $840 for plugs.. a local independent would do it for 280 using the quality platinum plugs also and that included a throttle body cleaning..

I has spent so much money at the dealer on maintenance and that was the last straw.

·
Registered
132 Posts
They Do its called a Nissan Frontier :)
My nissan was a digital piece of crap. Low lock won't go over 6 MPH or throws out of 4wd. won't lock in H 4wd. Can't rock back and forth after stuck, in snow at 5 mph because , trans has a couple seconds delay. It was an exterra 2015 pro off road model. For a road car that stays, on road way it was just OK. worst 4w4 I ever owned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts