Japan's Electric Power Managing Director Admits Lies and WEEPS

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by IrritatedWithUS, Mar 18, 2011.

1. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

By David Derbyshire
    Last updated at 8:55 PM on 18th March 2011

* Officials admit they may have to bury reactors under concrete - as happened at Chernobyl
    * Government says it was overwhelmed by the scale of twin disasters
    * Japanese upgrade accident from level four to five - the same as Three Mile Island
    * We will rebuild from scratch says Japanese prime minister
    * Particles spewed from wrecked Fukushima power station arrive in California
    * Military trucks tackle reactors with tons of water for second day

Overwhelmed: Tokyo Electric Power Company Managing Director Akio Komiri cries as he leaves after a press conference in Fukushima

The boss of the company behind the devastated Japanese nuclear reactor today broke down in tears - as his country finally acknowledged the radiation spewing from the over-heating reactors and fuel rods was enough to kill some citizens

Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency admitted that the disaster was a level 5, which is classified as a crisis causing 'several radiation deaths' by the UN International Atomic Energy.

Officials said the rating was raised after they realized the full extent of the radiation leaking from the plant. They also said that 3 per cent of the fuel in three of the reactors at the Fukushima plant had been severely damaged, suggesting those reactor cores have partially melted down.

After Tokyo Electric Power Company Managing Director Akio Komiri cried as he left a conference to brief journalists on the situation at Fukushima, a senior Japanese minister also admitted that the country was overwhelmed by the scale of the tsunami and nuclear crisis.

He said officials should have admitted earlier how serious the radiation leaks were.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said: 'The unprecedented scale of the earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan, frankly speaking, were among many things that happened that had not been anticipated under our disaster management contingency plans.

'In hindsight, we could have moved a little quicker in assessing the situation and coordinating all that information and provided it faster.'

Nuclear experts have been saying for days that Japan was underplaying the crisis' severity.

It is now officially on a par with the Three Mile Island accident in Pennsylvania in 1979. Only the explosion at Chernobyl in 1986 has topped the scale.

Deputy director general of the NISA, Hideohiko Nishiyama, also admitted that they do not know if the reactors are coming under control.

He said: 'With the water-spraying operations, we are fighting a fire we cannot see. That fire is not spreading, but we cannot say yet that it is under control.'

But prime minister Naoto Kan insisted that his country would overcome the catastrophe

'We will rebuild Japan from scratch,' he said in a televised speech: 'In our history, this small island nation has made miraculous economic growth thanks to the efforts of all Japanese citizens. That is how Japan was built.'

It comes after pictures emerged showing overheating fuel rods exposed to the elements through a huge hole in the wall of a reactor building at the destroyed Fukushima nuclear plant.

Radiation is streaming into the atmosphere from the used uranium rods at reactor number four, after a 45ft-deep storage pool designed to keep them stable boiled dry in a fire.

And some of the radioactive material could reach Britain within a fortnight, according to experts.

However they say it will not be dangerous when it reaches our shores while low levels of radiation have already hit Southern California.

READ MORE: Nuclear plant chief weeps as Japanese finally admit that radiation leak is serious enough to kill people | Mail Online

2. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

Man oh man ... that ain't good.

3. IrritatedWithUS

There are people selling potassium iodide 20-tablet boxes for $200-400 on eBay and people are BUYING them

NaturalNews.com 's store got a new shipment for $25 a box I believe as of last night if anybody wants to know

4. BadgeBunny

This breaks my heart. And just reinforces the fact in my mind that the only persons I am gonna be able to rely on in a bad situation is me and my husband.

There is a store here locally that caters to "people who plan ahead". I got an e-mail from them last night that all the PI they had coming was already sold but as soon as they got some more in they would let us know. And that they would NOT be price gouging. Only selling it for enough of a profit to enable they could reorder.

Let me just say that I will buy things from their store that I know I can get elsewhere for a little cheaper simply because I want to make sure they are around a long, long time.

5. IrritatedWithUS

There's a local store here that has a preparedness website. They sell everything :) Long Term Food Storage Items & Long Term Emergency Food Items for Survival & Emergency Preparedness They have potassium iodide pills for $19.95. They are currently out of stock but they have more on the way so if you order now, you'll be on the list.

Just want to pass the info along. It's always good to have multiple resources. I personally know it's a physical store and not a scam.

6. BadgeBunny

LOL ... they are on one of my shortcuts! I'm with you though ... there is more than one way to skin a cat as my grandma used to say. It does none of us any good to rely on one place, or one way to find a means to our ends.

Actually I am havng to eat crow (again) because the hubby stocked up on PI when I didn't think we needed to. And I am not too worried about me even now -- yet.

I do feel really badly for the Japanese people. What is playing out over there is exactly why I say that you can only do what you can do and give the rest to God. I mean, seriously, even if you prepped all your life, depending on where you lived over there, you lost it all in the 20 minutes it took the tsunami to roll in ...

I am afraid that it is just a matter of time before even those who had some serious provisions put back are in serious trouble.

7. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

I was told by my friend who works at GNC that it'd be easier for folks to just buy multivitamins instead of searching all over for potassium iodide pills. Many multivitamins contain 150 micro-grams of KI. She recommended the Men or Woman's mega ultra vitamins. (Not trying to sell anything. This is what I was told!)

I am not so obsessed over it anymore. I at least got my vitamins for the day. :2thumb: For a moment there, I was ashamed to call myself a prepper for the panic mode I put myself into last week.:eek:

Know Your Body Better: Take a Multivitamin or Potassium Iodide

Doctors: Potassium iodide pills 'pointless' for battling radioactivity here in La. | wwltv.com | Health News

8. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

P.S: Those article were just some examples that I found about the multivitamin.

9. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

Japan's Electric Power Managing Director Admits Lies and WEEPS

Pfffftttt... we knew that all along, right? (I used to work in the nuke industry, that's why I don't need a flashlight at night.) :D

They've been lying about everything since they went on line, acording to all their former employees...

Hey... I shot off an order for Potassium Iodide too -the minute I heard of the first explosion... I know the implications - and I knew there would be a run on tablets. The ones I had in the bunker were 7 years old... -had one more year's shelf life.

Preppers know what "just in case" is all about... read what's in red below ;)

10. IrritatedWithUS

Exactly!! Unfortunately the only thing I didn't have was potassium iodide but it's ordered

11. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

It is my understanding the PI tablets only protect the thyroid, am I right. The PI pill will only help to prevent thyroid cancer. There is not a protective divise or pill for the other damages from radiation except a fall out shelter. Right or Wrong??

12. IrritatedWithUS

yup, right :)

13. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

I'm not the least bit worried. If my NukeAlert starts chirping I'll take a pill. Until then, my iodized salt works just fine. :D