Japan nuclear disaster – partial meltdown confirmed

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Woody, May 13, 2011.

1. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

2. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

No! Drives me crazy - there's not a peep, as if everything is back to 'normal.'

3. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Are they still finding low levels of radiation in milk and stuff here in the U.S.?

4. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Seems as if all the news programs are broadcasting mostly what I call "fluff news". Don't want the people to be too informed.

5. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

We never really got any news about the tornados - had the royal wedding right after that. :rolleyes:
    And the info regarding UBL was important, but what about the rivers? There's more news on the flooding now, but still not that much. And what about the border?!

6. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Crippled nuke plant springs another leak | The Australian

THE operator of Japan's stricken Fukushima nuclear plant reported new problems yesterday, including a water leak from a reactor vessel and another spill of contaminated water into the ocean.

NHK WORLD English

Tokyo Electric Power Company says the No.1 reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant is believed to be in a state of "meltdown".

7. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

Who would know. Our illustrious government has decided NOT to test more than their regular span of every few months due to ‘falling radiation levels’ here at home. Even reports about Japan are hard to come by, most say things are OK, nothing to see here, move along… Hey!!! Guess who is singing tonight on the rock star show!!??!! Ohhh [email protected]@k… we got one Boogie man but here is a new one that is even more terrible!!! They are aiming to do harm to us for no reason!!! Then Janet and her evil gang come on saying WE are here to protect you! We will be setting up groping stations at all malls, train stations, public events… to make sure that this Boogie man does not infringe on your Constitutional rights!! Let’s just continue giving them lots of money while bombing the bajeesus out of everyone and sooner or later they will start to like us and stop trying to kill us too. Sorry, one topic to another, I’ll stop that now.

I do not have the links to pass on but the EU raised their levels of ‘acceptable’ radiation due to Fukushima. I mean how can you have acceptable levels that are lower than what the ‘background radiation’ levels are that we will have for many generations to come? Our own EPA was trying to raise our levels here, have not heard if they succeeded but I would think it slid through with some minor piece of legislation while we were dancing in the streets because of the death of an old man who has been dead for 10 years. No wait, they do not need legislation they can do whatever they like!

The whole situation is so sad for the future generations. I am glad that even little by little the truth is escaping but still no word to the general population on what steps they can take to at least help themselves. And think on this, all the radiation that has flowed into the ocean and will continue to flow for years and years to come because there is absolutely no way to stop this nuclear reaction!!! I apologize, this is just a sore subject for me. I would think it would be making headlines in every newscast and paper, like we got from Chernobyl. Remember, the Gulf is all better now too.

I need a vacation.

8. geoffreys7

geoffreys7 Well-Known Member

Japan's Latest Proposal To Contain Fukushima's Radioactive Fallout - A (Circus) Tent
    By Tyler Durden - Created 05/13/2011 - 11:59

You just can't make this up: proving that Japan can outdo even the Russians when it comes to nuclear crisis "response", Dow Jones reports that the latest scheme to come out of TEPCO is to cover Fukushima with a giant tent. It is unclear if it will have a circus coloration yet. From DJ: "Giant polyester covers will soon be placed around the damaged reactor buildings at Japan's Fukushima nuclear complex to help contain the release of radioactive substances into the atmosphere, the plant operator said Friday. Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) will install the first cover at the No. 1 reactor, the focus of recent stabilization efforts, starting next month." This probably means that Japan looked long and hard at the concrete shell option and realized it was impossible, which is true. The problem is that by now the melted cores are not in the complex, but deep beneath it and the radioactivity is actively seeping directly into the soil. And since the polyester tent idea is doomed to failure, it is only a matter of time before the Simpsons dome is firmly in place over a ragion with a radius of about 20 kilometers. Impossible you say? Just wait.

From DJ [1]:

Workers will erect a steel framework and place a giant polyester tent-like cover around the reactor building. Similar covers will be placed around units No. 3 and 4. The work is expected to be completed by the end of the year.

A series of hydrogen explosions blew off the roofs and upper walls of the three reactors in the days after the March 11 earthquake and tsunami knocked out their cooling systems, triggering the overheating of the reactors.

The explosions scattered a large amount of radioactive debris in the area around the reactors. Workers will have to clear the debris near the No. 1 unit so that cranes and other heavy equipment can approach the reactor. TEPCO said it began shifting debris from the area around the unit Friday.

The damaged buildings have come to symbolize the severity of the nuclear crisis at the plant, the worst nuclear accident since Chernobyl in 1986.

The loss of the roofs and filters above the reactors has led to the steady release of radioactive substances from the complex, prompting calls for measures to contain contamination in the surrounding areas

[​IMG]

Japan's Latest Proposal To Contain Fukushima's Radioactive Fallout - A (Circus) Tent | zero hedge

9. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

they should've done this weeks ago

no, it's NOT "stupid" or "clownish", it's actually a damn good idea to help contain particulates

10. mdmdmd

mdmdmd Member

I found this site- Updates on Fukushima: | Fairewinds Associates, Inc -that discusses the continuing radiation fallout. Unfortunately the engineer on the video just basically says that more monitoring needs to be done here in the US, but who is doing that?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2011