Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Peckerwood
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07 John Deere 310 backhoe, I don't have any good way to haul it around to jobs and being that most jobs I do are in a 10 mile radius I usually just road it from job to job. Today I was roading it through town with my wife following with her emergency flashers on. She called me while I was driving and said my back wheel looked wobbly. I said the tires are foam filled they bounce around and look weird you don't know what you're seeing and dismissed her like a *******. I have work on my mind and was just trying to get the machine to the next job. When I get to the job I notice the hoe is sitting cockeyed I get off and give it a look over and find I have a broken wheel! It's a 1000 wonders it didn't break off while I was driving It down the road! I guess in the morning I'll bust out the 7018 and listen to my wife when she tells me something is wrong.....

Attachments

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
luck that held as long as it did, although from the picture it looks like the bottom 140 or so degrees was never connected in the first place, the rest of the cracking/ ripping is new (no rust or filings)
Be really , really careful how much heat gets near the tire, it is pretty easy to get a fire going inside the casing, then stuff explodes, maybe being foam filled it might be safer, no big pocket of air, but easier not to find out.

·
Peckerwood
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
luck that held as long as it did, although from the picture it looks like the bottom 140 or so degrees was never connecter in the first place, the rest of the cracking/ ripping is new (no rust or filings)
Be really , really careful how much heat gets near the tire, it is pretty easy to get a fire going inside the casing, then stuff explodes, maybe being foam filled it might be safer, no big pocket of air, but easier not to find out.
I plan to go easy and slow with the weld. I haven't pulled it off but you're right it could have been like for a long time or since the day I bought it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Give the old wet towel trick near the tire on the rim. Keep a bucket on hand to redunk. I have welded alot of stuff that should have been removed but didn't for one reason or another (usually not enough time) and the wet towel has kept me from starting any fires. If you have or have access to a wire feed and you run stargon gas it really hepls put down a lot if clean weld fast, thus reducing your weld time and heat transfer. But between you and tirediron Im probably just preaching to the quire.

·
Internet Princess
2,809 Posts
That'll teach you to ignore your wife..... my husband brushed me off for a month when I kept telling him the tractor tire looked low. He ignored me right up until he went out and the tire was completely flat and half off the rim because the bead broke.

Next time, listen..:D

·
Registered
187 Posts
luck that held as long as it did, although from the picture it looks like the bottom 140 or so degrees was never connected in the first place, the rest of the cracking/ ripping is new (no rust or filings)
Hashbrown, you are not listening again.... Remove the tire or at least break one of the beads loose. I have seen what can happen and it is not pretty when a tire explodes due to welding the rim. Listen to your wife: listen to good advice. :eek:

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Hashbrown, you are not listening again.... Remove the tire or at least break one of the beads loose. I have seen what can happen and it is not pretty when a tire explodes due to welding the rim. Listen to your wife: listen to good advice. :eek:
while that is excellent advice, you can't remove a foam filled tire without destroying it. with the weld being near the center it should be somewhat safe, if kept cool ie the rim part where there is tire cavity cool enough to touch.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If I were going to weld that I would use heat stop paste around the weld on both sides and a wet rag or slow running water.Might be able to use the backside of the bucket to mash it back into place if the hoe is well blocked up when you remove it :)

·
Peckerwood
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wont be cutting a good tire off and replacing it. It will have to be welded with the foam and tire intact.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I really can't help much. Perhaps some wet rags to keep it cool and stop if you see steam. Dad was a professional welder back then and he wouldn't touch my rim so I wound up buying new one.
Ah i couldn't pick hashbrown out of a line up but something tells me he has this under control. Being foam filled worst case he will have a fire story to tell. Was your rim a car rim?

·
Not Quite Done Yet
13 Posts
Had similar problem on 6600 series Ford tractors running side mount and articulated boom mowers when i tried foam filling. High road speeds with a tire that was really stiff put too much load on the center and always cracked around the hub, where the flexing of the wheel changed or stopped. Never set one on fire or really got them very hot because of the size and thickness of the wheel. Finally found kevlar ply tires and ended the flats and the cracks. The weight decrease helped a whole lot of things! Just my experience around 25 or so years ago.

·
Peckerwood
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't blow myself up, I didn't damage the tire or foam. It looked like while I was prepping to weld that the factory weld had really poor penetration.

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
I didn't blow myself up, I didn't damage the tire or foam. It looked like while I was prepping to weld that the factory weld had really poor penetration.
I'm guessing you took a good look at the other wheel while you were at it ???

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
I should have taken pictures of the pickup crane attachment that I fixed for a customer last week, made in china, the welds were so tiny that they didn't even get the lift cable tight before the welds started breaking, after it was fixed, he said at least I paid far less for it than the steel would have cost here. and some times making Chinese things work costs as much as the purchase price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts