Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Mrs. will be home in about 20 minutes, I am shaved and showered, the babysitters are already here (because they are my two oldest kids!), the pizza has been ordered, a selection of digitized kids movies have been put on the home theater PC, reservations have been made at a very nice restaurant and my office has been advised that guns had better have been fired if my phone rings tonight. I am even putting on my classic snub nosed revolver instead of a large semi-auto! Yep, classy.

We are going out to a restaurant that would make Gordon Ramsey proud. Fresh from scratch everything and some very unique dishes. They even make their own olive oil and have their own bakery. But even better than the food is the dark-ish, quiet and peaceful environment. I ordered a small bouquet of flowers that will be delivered at the restaurant, a gesture that she will love but not expect. We will have a multi-course meal and we will take our time and enjoy it. After the meal we will drive to the lookout lot on the edge of the nature park. It's not as good as sitting their on bench in September, but since it is like 0 outside that's probably not an option. From there we will probably go have some desert and perhaps find some bizarre place to go to. Once we ended up at Chuck-e-Cheese, another time we went to a High School dance, once we even attended a wedding for a couple we didn't even know. No matter what we will have fun, my wife will be happy and our relationship will continue to be strong.

I told my wife when I asked her to marry me that that I would never take her for granted, I would never stop trying to win her heart and I would never stop "dating" her. And I am a man of my word. Have a great evening everyone!

·
There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.
8,927 Posts
Date night here is the the 3 of us going to dinner then home for a movie from the Redbox after Roo goes to bed.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dinner was everything it was supposed to be! We started out with an appetizer of spicy grilled duck wings with a crushed berry sauce followed by a small but delicious house salad. Then we had wood grilled Pork medallions in a blue cheese & pinot Grigio sauce, asparagus sautéed with mushrooms garlic shallots and crushed pecans, some red potatoes roasted and olive oil and Rosemary and a fresh baked loaf of bread with straight from the farm butter. For dessert we had some handmade vanilla bean ice cream mixed with raisins soaked in cinnamon and Brandy. My wife only drinks water but I enjoyed the smooth refreshing ice cold taste of Coca-Cola zero. Just as planned her flowers arrived before we did and were presented to the maître d'. She then had the flowers partially unwrapped and placed on a sterling silver serving platter. They were brought out to the table just prior to our appetizer arriving. The waiter then presented the card from his inside coat pocket and read it like he was reciting a poem. "Loved you then, love you still. Always have, always will. Your husband, Sentry18". Give them handed the card to my wife, which was written in my hand. And then he lit the candle on the table. It went over very well.

After dinner we decided to just drive through the nature park nice and slow and enjoy the wintry landscape. We talked about a variety of things, but nothing heavy or of real consequence. We stopped for a short time on the wooden bridge and pretended like we were young teenagers until another vehicle decided to honk horn at us for blocking the path. A short time later I received a phone call from home advising that our six-year-old had developed the stomach flu. Maternal instincts in my wife were activated and we were on our way home. We made a quick stop at Target for sick child supplies and a few other items. While checking out there were two women in front of us who from external appearances seemed as if they lived quite comfortably from a financial standpoint. They were perhaps in their late 40s or early 50s. They were not so quietly talking about an obese woman, who was in another lane, whom they apparently were familiar with (they had waved at each other and said hello moments earlier). They were making disparaging comments including "doesn't she realize how unattractive she is" and "ew, I don't know if I would even want to live if I looked like that". I could see the anger sharks swimming in my wife's head by the expression on her face. She began to back out to relocate to another lane before she could no longer hold her tongue, so I took the opportunity to speak to the two women. I simply told them that their behavior was "quite grotesque" and that "I was thoroughly embarrassed" for them. One of the women started to say something but I just turned my back and walked away. The entire checkout area of Target was very quiet for the next several minutes. We checked out, collected our bag and proceeded to our vehicle. As soon as we got inside my wife said "thank you for speaking up, I was moments away from losing it". As we were leaving we saw the two women climb inside of a vehicle and I might have written down the license plate for potential future karma.

We arrived at home, my wife went into hyper maternal mode and began to care for our six-year-old baby girl while I was piled on by the remaining young children (who were not already in bed). I handed out some cash to the older two children who quickly departed for social activities of their own. I got the other children tucked in bed and eventually my wife got our sickly child in bed as well. The Mrs. and I sat down together on the loveseat and listened to some Etta James (one of my wife's favorite singers). And that's where this activity report comes to an end... ;)

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Date night here is the the 3 of us going to dinner then home for a movie from the Redbox after Roo goes to bed.
I have had to elevate my game several times over since the early days of our marriage. I certainly didn't get to this point overnight. We don't do this as often as we should, perhaps 4-5 times a year. But we also take off for a 2-3 day bed-and-breakfast get away at least twice a year as well. It's hard to be gone too much with the size of our family, but I want both her and my children to know that while I love my children deeply my wife comes first.

For the sake of contrast many years ago date night would have included dinner at a place like TGI Friday's and then a movie (or vice a versa). Come to think of it, sometimes date night is still like that. :)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Well Sir, there goes several more reasons why you are one of my "favorite people" on this forum. "Good on ya" for the love, compassion, consideration, and care you show not only to your Wife and Children, but to others as well. Also "good on ya" for doing and saying the right thing at the right time. As has been said in the "comic strips", "your a good man Charlie Brown". :):congrat::)

·
There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.
8,927 Posts
I have had to elevate my game several times over since the early days of our marriage. I certainly didn't get to this point overnight. We don't do this as often as we should, perhaps 4-5 times a year. But we also take off for a 2-3 day bed-and-breakfast get away at least twice a year as well. It's hard to be gone too much with the size of our family, but I want both her and my children to know that while I love my children deeply my wife comes first.

For the sake of contrast many years ago date night would have included dinner at a place like TGI Friday's and then a movie (or vice a versa). Come to think of it, sometimes date night is still like that. :)
We don't have a babysitter we trust yet so we just include Roo for now.

When we lived in the city we would have my parents watch her while we went out for a matinee and a nice lunch.

Last night was Red Lobster and the new Tom Cruise movie, Live Die Repeat; On the Edge of Tomorrow, from the Redbox.

·
I sold my soul to the internet
2,121 Posts
The Mrs. will be home in about 20 minutes, I am shaved and showered, the babysitters are already here (because they are my two oldest kids!), the pizza has been ordered, a selection of digitized kids movies have been put on the home theater PC, reservations have been made at a very nice restaurant and my office has been advised that guns had better have been fired if my phone rings tonight. I am even putting on my classic snub nosed revolver instead of a large semi-auto! Yep, classy.

We are going out to a restaurant that would make Gordon Ramsey proud. Fresh from scratch everything and some very unique dishes. They even make their own olive oil and have their own bakery. But even better than the food is the dark-ish, quiet and peaceful environment. I ordered a small bouquet of flowers that will be delivered at the restaurant, a gesture that she will love but not expect. We will have a multi-course meal and we will take our time and enjoy it. After the meal we will drive to the lookout lot on the edge of the nature park. It's not as good as sitting their on bench in September, but since it is like 0 outside that's probably not an option. From there we will probably go have some desert and perhaps find some bizarre place to go to. Once we ended up at Chuck-e-Cheese, another time we went to a High School dance, once we even attended a wedding for a couple we didn't even know. No matter what we will have fun, my wife will be happy and our relationship will continue to be strong.

I told my wife when I asked her to marry me that that I would never take her for granted, I would never stop trying to win her heart and I would never stop "dating" her. And I am a man of my word. Have a great evening everyone!
Sounds Great!
My DW just wants to go to the tex-mex down the street.
We do go to a nice restaurant once a month or so with friends.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Next January we will have been married 43 years. No kids at home and every night is date night. We are very comfy with each other and know each others needs.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
We have 'racing days'. Both of us are car racing lovers so every few weeks we assemble our fav. foods, a few ciders, tell the kids they are not to come over or call and watch car racing for the day. I don't like public places so eating out is pretty much out, rather stay home and not have to do anything except cuddle :). My idea of a great time is just him and me and no outside world.
I think this is really important for us as here we work pretty well all the time, homesteading is like that. Having a day of nothingness is lovely.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually the lucky person in this relationship is me. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts