It's Commissary Case Lot Time!

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Possumfam, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Possumfam

Possumfam Well-Known Member

Hope this applies to SOMEBODY! For those of you who can shop on base at the commissary, it's that time of year again. We are located near two commissaries and will be able to take advantage of some great deals. Each sale varies, but you can usually get canned goods, paper products, soaps, shampoos, drinks, etc... at bargain prices. It's easy to spend HUNDREDS of dollars, but you'll be well stocked for a while. They are usually scheduled in May and Sept. Try this link for sale dates near you.

Commissaries.com

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2011
  2. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

Thanks for sharing.

We have found the quality of the Commissary Case Lot sales have gone down hill in recent years. We still go to them armed with our price list of other stores and compare prices. Although there is no sales tax, you still pay the 5% surcharge on your purchases.

We went to the local case lot sale last year and did find some great deals. We have found that we can find better deals at the local ALDI and other discount stores in the area and stock up when we find awesome deals.

Our recommendation would be to have your price list from other stores in hand when you go to the case lot sales. We found some items that seemed like a good bargain, but after looking at our list, we found we could do better off-base.

Again, thanks for the reminder.

By the way, take a hike on the Florida Trail. You might be surprised how many bug out locations are close to you right off the trail.

3. Possumfam

ALDI??? So they really do exist? :eek:

...and...thanks for the tip - will have to check that out the trail.

4. Dixie

Dixie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up...it's time for me to go again. Like Frugal Farmer said, you have to know your prices but you can usually find a bargain there.

5. Possumfam

Well, it's September, sooooooo....I just got home. It's my favorite way to stock up. We have neglected puppy preps (cat, too), but that's taken care of now! And bacon, which has REALLY gone up lately, was $1.84 a lb, but you did have to buy a case (I'll be canning that). Should be good on tp and tuna for a looong while, too. The list is too long to mention it all, (spaghetti sauce - 42 cents a large can) but if you're eligble - this is your friendly reminder. :)

6. ComputerGuy

ComputerGuy Retired Air Force

Thank you for the reminder. I am retired AF and use the commissary every day almost. My son works for them too!

7. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

the four within 200 miles (closest is 100 miles! :eek: ) had their sales on sept1-3... a little too far to justify the trip