It's a cat!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Jim1590, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Jim1590

Jim1590 Annoying pain in the.... knee

So this here is a captured cat that has been harassing the friendly warehouse mouser at my work. Came into fur and blood on the floor Monday. Everyone seems fine but it was the last straw.

My wife looked at a picture of this feral (yeah he is feral through and through) and says she sees a possible bobcat hybrid. I don't see it But I know as much about cats as I do advanced trig.

So thoughts?

I will find a way to upload a video with his hiss.

Attached Files:

2. Jim1590

3. Grimm

Grimm There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.

That is your standard domestic brown tabby cat.

Here is a picture of a bobcat...

Attached Files:

4. Jim1590

Thanks Grimm. She ain't taking the news well.... maybe i should have out a poll on this! She is usually spot on with naming animals. Last time we where in cabelas she kept pointing out the misnamed animals in their display. The staff said yeah we know...

5. Jim1590

I looked as more pictures than. I care to think of today of bobcats. Some look close. I think he is too small to be one. But may as well get second and third opinions!

6. Grimm

He is just a domestic tabby. I had one just like him.

Attached Files:

7. hashbrown

hashbrown Peckerwood

Looks like a plain ole cat to me. Ive trapped a lot of bobcats over the years and you would never catch one in a trap like that, at least the bobcats we have here anyway.

8. BlueZ

BlueZ Well-Known Member

He looks pretty peaceful in the 2nd pic.
    Poor kitty :(

9. Jim1590

Did you watch the video? Wanna take him home?

We have a call out to some feral shelters. Hope we get a taker.

10. Davarm

Davarm Texan

I've trapped(live catch) my share of feral cats over the years and the one in that video was pretty laid back compared to most of them. lol

Just hope it doesn't/didn't turn on you when you opened the cage, if you do find a shelter that will take it, deliver it cage and all and let them take care of it.

11. Sentry18

Sentry18 Well-Known Member

I figured it out. It's another case of identity theft! Not bobcat but Mr. Bob Cat.

[​IMG]

12. Davarm

Davarm Texan

Mr Bob Cat?

Must be Mr Stir Fry's brother!:D

13. Grimm

I have a feral cat that lives in our house with us. She has moved 4 times with us. She would have been a whirlwind of claws and teeth the moment the trap closed til it was opened again even if it was a week. I have been scratched and bit more times than I care to count by her. She has a sixth sense for when it is time to go in the carrier.

14. Moose33

Moose33 Well-Known Member

It looks like a generic, garden variety gray tabby. Much like the photo to the left. Hope you find a shelter for him.
    Moose

15. hpb13

hpb13 survivor

Not to say your wrong, but i have personaly had "tabby" cats that were small & looked just like the one pictured & i know for a fact they were hybrids , i raised the daddy cat from a newborn & he was a full fledge bobcat (42lb) once grown. The kitten on the other hand full grown was lucky to be 6 lb ( she took after her mother), but she only had his markings & no tail. I to this day have his grand daughter & shes all black , no tail roughly 4 lbs & mean as hell..

16. TheLazyL

TheLazyL Cowboy

You haven't been married long or are you a typical male? :D

A "Yes Dear. That does look like a hybrid." Will get you a lot better results and possible benefits. ;)

17. Jim1590

Well it is my second marriage. One would think I would learn!

18. Grimm

Tell the wife another woman says she's wrong and the cat is a tabby.

If the cat is still in the trap and calm you might be able to do a temperament test. If he doesn't hiss at you will you talk to him (he is in the trap with a towel over it) then he could be tame and just scared.

If none of the feral colonies take him then get him fixed (find a TNR in your area) and release him back where you found him. If he is an intact male he is protecting his territory and by getting him fixed he will calm down a bit and will allow your barn cat to share the space.

I use to take care of a feral colony when we lived in Long Beach. The colony was down by the Queen Mary and the cats were really good at cohabiting once they were fixed. I even have one of the ferals living with us. Not the one I mentioned before that is a Cuisinart of teeth and claws. Do'h is twice as old and a sweetie. She adapted to being a house cat very well. She was to be TNR but after she was fixed she just refused to leave my house. (I kept her in the bathroom til her stitches/glue fell off)

19. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

Y'all can flame me as much as you want, but the only way that cat would leave *MY* trap is once it had a .22 in it's head.

I have ZERO patience anymore with ferals like that - - I have to deal with far too many, far too often to waste precious hours of my life on them.

I'm all for shelters and such.... but once an animal like that one is on my property I do everything I can to make sure it becomes dead.

20. Jim1590

We had a feral shelter come and take him just now. She does not have room herself, but he will be vetted and fixed this afternoon. She will then try and get a space for him at one of the other places.

Our fall back that we all wanted to avoid was meeting Mr Winchester as LincTex talked about.

With the tame test, we were able to slip some wet food and a small bowl of water into the trap without him getting upset. So another point for a tabby.

My wife has no problem being told she is wrong on something. It is all part of the learning process. And she freely admits that she only saw the pictures and heard the hiss on the video.

Thanks to all for the tips. Now Joy, our warehouse cat can rest easier. We recently had a momma cat come around with 3 kittens. We fed her and thus them. Caught one kitten after it left the mom and rehomed that one. A second kitten went home with some friends of mine to be a indoor outdoor and the third disappeared with the mom. We think this guy was the dad.

At least Joy is fixed and we take her for shots yearly. She must have been someones cat but found her way here 5-6 years ago. We get kind of protective about her. But we also let her enjoy her free life so to speak.