It was bound to come up-2012

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by kbamvakais, Jan 3, 2010.

1. kbamvakais

kbamvakais Well-Known Member

i searched post for this topic but didnt find any, so forgive me if its already been said,

Whats do you think., Fire and brimstone, The end of the modern world, or just another day.

i personaly dont think it will be fire and brimstone end of the world, i think if something does happen its going to be the end of the modern world, a complete infastructure breakdown, the end of orginized government, i believe there will be riots, looting, anarchy, civil unrest, ect....

What do you think im sure we would all like to hear it.

but i could be wrong and it could be ZOMBIES... :eek:

2. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

More hype justY2K all over again. I believe it is just another selling tool like shortages, remember, oranges, coffee, tomatoes the list goes on and on.
    But I see it as a gold mine for me and you, after all the hype is over just like Y2K there will be a flush of survival items on the market, everything from food to electronics, gensets, gear, people get complacent and can't see why they have this "stuff" taking up space when they could have a new wide screen TV, or Xbox instead.:scratch Are they still called Xboxes?, shows you where I've been.:dunno:
    Now don't get me wrong, I will be prepared for whatever comes down.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  3. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

I don't know, but I'm gonna laugh when all the fire and brimstone comes down next year and some Mayan goes back to his temple and says, "Doh! My bad. I misread this line. Yeah, it says 2011, right here."

I have a feeling that it's gonna be just another day. I'm pretty well connected with NSA and Army intelligence sources and to my knowledge, there has been absolutely no planning or discussion. There may be some compartmentalized stuff that really high up, but . . . I'm not super worried about asteroids or such. Zombies, however, are a constant threat. The undead don't just go away.

Of course, what divides us from the rest of the poor schlubs out there, is that even though I think nothing will happen . . . I will still be ready if it does. Semper Paratus. Funny how that means more to me now than when I was in the Coast Guard.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  4. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

The prophecy that the 2012 issue is based off of is a mistranslation. The Dresden codex was pulled out of a fire and the end of the Text was missing. It never makes any mention of the end of the world just the end of a cycle. There are many cycles. If anything happens it will be due to people perpetuating it and not some mythological event. In my humble opinion.

5. Country Living

Country Living Supporting Member

What bunkerbob said. Same here.

6. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

I do not hold a whole lot of credibility to the various 2012 end of the world theories out there. If the Mayans were so damn good at predicting the future how come their civilization died many many many moons ago?

Why wait to 2012 we are doing a pretty good job of destroying society and it resources right now............

7. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I will agree that there was a certain amount of hype around Y2K, but, it was a real problem that needed to be repaired within the IBM-based computer systems. Apple and Unix-based systems did not have that problem because they were designed with a different type of system to keep track of date / time.

Many transporation entities (like railways) have their controls running on IBM-based systems which could have allowed collisions between trains, disruptions of the transportation of goods, denial of service with regards to credit-cards, denial of service with regards to debit-cards, etc. I know this stuff first-hand because at the time, I was a senior computer-technician and I had lots of over-time upgrading the computer systems and networks for the government of Alberta, government of Canada, several major national banks and one of Canada's major railways.

Anything that was "old-skule" in nature was not affected - many businesses around here set up manual systems as a back-up in case of a computer-system melt-down. Yes - I helped to implement "back-up control centers" and "bunkers" for the railway, banks and government at that time. The bunkers were not for protection against radiation or those kinds of problems - the bunkers were setup as a secondary-control-center to keep the core of the business running in case the primary-center was compromised in anyway.

8. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Again I agree with you, you should pretty well know me by now, what I was driving at is the panic buying by the 'sheeple', those narrow minded groups that go on day after day not thinking about tomorrow, no planning, usually hoping that the Govt will take care of them. Then OMG!!! we better do something quick before its too late, they will be the ones herded into the FEMA stockyards eventually if something occurs.:D

9. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I am glad that we don't have FEMA stockyards here :wave:

If we keep agreeing with each other, people might just think we are one and the same :eek:

:2thumb: :2thumb: :2thumb:

10. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

yeah, y2k was a legit problem . . . one of my cousins works for NSA with the big Cray super-computers. In the weeks leading up to it, he was actually sleeping there, because they had all the computer guys working around the clock to make sure it was straight.

Dean brings up an excellent point . . . The Mayans just said that it was the end of the cycle; my guess (which since I am not an expert on Mayan culture may not be accurate . . .) would be that since they believed that all of time was a cycle, it would all just start over again, and what would be the point in chiseling into stone the whole thing all over again?

11. twolilfishies

twolilfishies wanna be prepared

We dont have fema camps here YET (as far as we know)but the government is working on it :sssh:
    2012 is a date on which something will occur. Perhaps it will be the start of something huge but we wont notice right away...Maybe Obama ( as head of UN or just as us prez )signs something that will start a downward spiral..
    Maybe a crack in the earth opens that will slowly turn into a huge earthquake swallowing up all the malls ( we can only hope )
    I dont know what to think about 2012 but I do think it means something. I do also think that hollywood and other film producing places are paid for by someone who has the power to influence us. Maybe it WILL be 2011! Maybe they are saying 2012 to get us all feeling safe again til 2012!
    ..ZOMBIES TAKE OVER IN 2011 AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

12. kbamvakais

kbamvakais Well-Known Member

13. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

If all the malls were swallowed up we would have roving gangs of teenagers standing in front of our homes making snippy remarks and I will not tolerate that! If anything the malls should be protected! Give loiterers and consumers a place to do those things so I don't have to watch them do it.

14. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

Well, where I live there's already plenty of fire and looting and general civil unrest. After all this IS Youngstown Ohio, murder capital of the United States in 2000 and we still sit pretty high on the list, so if anything does go down in 2012, it'll just be another day in Y-town for us.

On a more positive note, I will be graduating from college in 2012 with a degree in violin performance :beercheer:

15. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

I say we don't make it to 2012.

16. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

That thought crosses my mind a little more often than I like.

17. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Everytime I drove through Youngstown, all I could think of was that Warren Zevon song . . . "From Youngstown Ohio, came Boom Boom Mancini"

Hey, I live between DC and Baltimore, the two cities that went back and forth for Murder Capital, USA for years, so I know where you're coming from.

18. dahur

dahur Well-Known Member

No planet Nibiru.
    2012 will come and no end of the world.

19. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

I agree. My prediction is that 2012 comes and goes. The end-of-the-world book club finds a new date to write about. Maybe 2016 like Sir Isaac Newton predicted. Start writing now and you can avoid the rush.