It is stinging nettle time!

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by Emerald, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Was just out limping around the garden and yard and noted that the stinging nettles are out and now is a prime time to harvest for eating and for tea. The cat nip is also getting nice right now.

Just remember that when stinging nettle starts getting bigger and older it is not as good for you to eat as it forms a type of crystal in the the plant that can bother some folks who have gout or problems with urinary cysts.
    Once it gets older I do cut it and dry it for my chickens in the winter.. I just take a bunch and soak it in a bit of hot water and put it in the chickens watering dish in the winter.. adds nice minerals and vitamins for them. they love it..

2. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

I just bought some Stinging Nettle seeds from MPS last week! I can't wait to grow them!

3. Gypsyshome

Gypsyshome Member

Hi guys, I raise rabbits and stinging nettle is a wonder drug for them...just remember the "stinging" part :( let them wilt awhile.

4. JoKing

JoKing Well-Known Member

I don't want to hear about it. It snowed here today.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  5. kappydell

kappydell Well-Known Member

cream of nettle soup was one of the first wild edibles i ever ate - YUM.

6. md1911

md1911 Member

May I ask how you make it. I would like to try it.

7. kappydell

CREAM OF GREENS SOUP - 4 servings
    The first time I ate nettles, they were in this soup. They were delicious!
    1/3 c butter
    1/3 c minced onions
    1/3 c flour
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/8 tsp nutmeg
    4 1/2 cups milk
    4 c fresh greens, washed well, and chopped
    In a 3 qt pot, sauté onion in butter until soft. Stir in flour until smooth; add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Blend in the milk. Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until bubbly and thick; keep stirring for 1 additional minute after it bubbles. Stir in greens; cook and stir one minute. Remove from heat and serve. 4 servings.

Wish I had a good nettle patch closer to the house....,.

8. md1911

md1911 Member

Thank you sounds good.

9. lazydaisy67

lazydaisy67 Member

OH. MY. GOSH!! I can't believe you guys PLANT that stuff!!! I have to buy 24D by the gallon jug to KILL it in my yard. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for using herbs for health and well being, but that herb is a noxious weed for me. It's gotten so bad that I can barely walk across my yard without getting "stung" by it.

10. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

Pull it up and consume it.if you actually WANT something to grow it'll never come near you.
    *looks at dead mulberry bushes and marvels how they grow in neighbor's yard fine.*

11. JoKing

JoKing Well-Known Member

I remember, as a kid, having friendly battles with what we called "7 minute sting" plants...Dumba**!

12. JoKing

JoKing Well-Known Member

Is that what I think it is?

Attached Files:

13. pixieduster

pixieduster Well-Known Member

Oh wow. Looking at the pic I realize how many of those grow crazy around here. Well I have to put that on my edible list.

14. kappydell

Nettle also is a fine cordage plant, and was used in past years to make cloth, yes, cloth due to the strength of its fibers. Supposed to be equal to hemp in strength. I don't have enough around me to eat, let alone make cordage then crochet it into a bag to try that out...I have made excellent nettle cordage nets in the past though.....

15. GPER

GPER Active Member

I will try the soup this winter, thanks and tie up some nettle with my mint this year.

16. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

Double boiling the nettles gets rid of the crystal problem.
    Bring to a full boil,dump the water boil again.