1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I couldn't get that link to open-up so I google'd the title and found something that I believe is what you read:

Republican Reps. Michele Bachmann and John Kline, as part of the Congressional Prayer Caucus, chastised President Obama for not portraying America as a more Christian-like nation to the rest of the world. In a letter on Monday, the caucus complained that Obama omitted the word "God" five times during his recent trip to Indonesia and called on him to correct the record.

The caucus wrote that Obama used e pluribus unum ("out of many, one," in Latin) as the motto of the United States instead of "In God We Trust." While e pluribus unum is part of the nation's seal and has been an unofficial motto since the country's founding, the group was upset he didn't use "In God we Trust" in its place.

"Additionally," the caucus wrote, "during three separate events this fall, when quoting from the Declaration of Independence, you mentioned that we have inalienable rights but you consistently failed to mention the source of those rights. The Declaration of Independence definitively recognizes God, our Creator, as the source of those rights."

The group said not mentioning God could have consequences for freedom.

"By making these kinds of statements to the rest of the world, you are removing on the the cornerstones of our secure freedom," the caucus wrote. "If we pull the thread of religious conviction out of the marketplace of ideas, we unravel the tapestry of freedom that birthed America."

Americans United for the Separation of Church and State trashed the letter.

"The Prayer Caucus should just admit that it is looking for any opportunity to bash the president," the Rev. Barry W. Lynn, executive director of Americans United, said in a statement on Monday. "It's not very Christian of them, but I expect nothing less from a body that takes its marching orders from the Religious Right."

Added Lynn, "This is one of the silliest manufactured controversies I've ever seen, and I would advise the president to deal with it by tossing the caucus' letter into the nearest wastebasket."
As a Canadian, I am the outsider looking in, but, from what I know of the US politics / constitution / etc, it looks to me like Obama is consciously skipping out any words that will tie him to the Christian-god ... and with that, I believe that he is making a "quiet statement" that he doesn't truly believe in what is American.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I couldn't get that link to open-up so I google'd the title and found something that I believe is what you read:
As a Canadian, I am the outsider looking in, but, from what I know of the US politics / constitution / etc, it looks to me like Obama is consciously skipping out any words that will tie him to the Christian-god ... and with that, I believe that he is making a "quiet statement" that he doesn't truly believe in what is American.
Ouch, I better pack my bags since I guess I do not believe in what is American based I do not believe in the Christian-god. Oh, wait was not America founded partially on freedom of religion, which would have me believe in America? I am so confused as to what makes an American now:rolleyes:

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
With Owebama it's most likely a distancing of himself from any semblance of Christianity or God or the "Creator" in order to pander to the Moslems. I personally do not think Owebama believes in anything or anyone and is comfortable pandering to whatever deity will gain him the most points with his "target group" at the time.

To say that the U.S.A. was founded as a Christian nation in that the ideals and beliefs of the majority reflected Christian values is true. It is not, however a theocracy as some would define "Christian nation."

No belief in God is necessary to be an "American" but the thanks for that goes to Christians at the time with the foresight to recognize the evils of state run religion.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Ouch, I better pack my bags since I guess I do not believe in what is American based I do not believe in the Christian-god. Oh, wait was not America founded partially on freedom of religion, which would have me believe in America? I am so confused as to what makes an American now:rolleyes:
I can say "In God we Trust" and not be an American, but there is no way that I could say e pluribus unum - my tongue doesn't twist that way :sssh:

From what I can find, the US's pledge of allegience says: I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. As a Canadian, I couldn't say those words and mean it, but, I could say the Canadian version and mean it: I, {insert name}, do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors. So help me God

Even the US national anthem says "In God we Trust" (I had to look it up, forgive me) and I hear it sung at every Canada/USA hockey game that I get a chance to go to ....

God is as much a part of the USA as ... well ... can't say apple-pie, that's Canadian. Can't say velcro, again, Canadian. Ahhh ... I'll come up with something later :sssh: Anyway, it is in all the oaths to the flag, to the country, in the songs, etc ... it is something that when it is missing, it is noticed and that, I believe is what Michele Bachmann and John Kline are trying to point out just as when there is a picture of Obama and Hillary (and someone else) all standing at attention - I think there was something going on and both Hillary and the other guy had their hands over their hearts, Obama's hands were clasped at his crotch ... something missing becomes noticable.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
GoogleImages to the rescue

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No belief in God is necessary to be an "American" but the thanks for that goes to Christians at the time with the foresight to recognize the evils of state run religion.
MM,
I agree about the forsight of our forefathers, but I also get very scared when I see letters like this, partly because I know Bachmann who is a Politician from my former state and if she had her way, we would have a state run religion.

NK,
Thew words are actually "In God is our trust", but I see your point. The pledge did not get the God part until 1954 I believe, which makes me wonder how important our forefathers actually thought it was.

I have seen the picture and while I can see it being offensive to some, I felt the 8 years previous were offensive to the what I saw as false patriotism from the administration and a large part of the populace. I was in the military and am a patriot, but do I need to fly a flag either 24/7/365 or just over the 4th of July to prove it?

I also will fully admit that I do not "One nation under God", but Gods, since I have more than one. My kids also do and I have dealt with 3 schools over this when they were told to say it as is and not change it. When I was called over this, I informed them that demanding my kids say One god and not Gods, was forcing a national religious belief in my feeling.

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
MM,
I agree about the forsight of our forefathers, but I also get very scared when I see letters like this, partly because I know Bachmann who is a Politician from my former state and if she had her way, we would have a state run religion. ...
I can understand how that would be a problem with those who are not Christian but no need for concern. The state run religion will never happen here. To much discord among Christians for that to ever happen not to mention that it would be the fastest way to completely destrou any semblance of "faith."

Now, after the Moslem take-over? We should all be afraid.

·
MAGIC Bullet
54 Posts
I for one WANT him to HAVE to sayit!! Good on the folks wanting him to say it....they know like I do, that when he says it 258 times he will turn into brown sugar like the Wicked Witch of the West!!!!!
BWAAAAAHAAAAHAAAAWHAWHAW!!!

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
OK, I am opening a can of worms here, but I saw this today and had to ask is this what our politicians need to be focusing on with all the other crap going on?
Disclaimer: I am no fan of Obama or any politician for that matter, but this reeks of crap and and a waste of money and time.
Bachmann, Kline: Obama's not saying 'God' enough « Minnesota Independent: News. Politics. Media.
This is what the media chooses to present to us 'useless eaters' for if they actually printed what we need to know there would be riots in the streets??

Our state preambles all include references to God and religion. Check them out.

Also, the amendment of separation of church and state wasn't intended to keep church out of govt; it was meant to keep the govt. out of church business.

Also, a historian who gives tours in D.C. says the first Bible was printed in English in 1782 in America by .....ta-da!!! Congress...YEP!!

Most Sundays you'd find 2000 to 3000 attending church services in the...ta-da!!! congressional building!!

Furthermore, in the records it states, and I quote, 'it is a neat editon of the holy scripture for the use in our schools'.

Share that with your churches and schools. For some, it'll make their day!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts