Prepared Society Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
I sold my soul to the internet
2,121 Posts
Sounds like a really dumb rule... not sure I would belong to that club.
That is because you know how, when & where to use a loaded gun.

No everyone is like you.
I do not hunt in hunt clubs for this reason.
Trust no one, question everything.

·
Internet Princess
2,809 Posts
Yep that is the case. "No loaded firearms" posted at the entrance.
At the indoor range my sister likes to go to they don't care if you walk in with a loaded holstered (or cased) weapon but will have a hissy fit if you walk out of the range to pay and leave with that same holstered weapon loaded. Loaded coming in is ok but loaded leaving is a problem.... I don't get it.

·
Void where Prohibited
747 Posts
I think guns should only be allowed where people don't want to be shot.:scratch

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
Knifes require a much higher degree of coordination to fight with especially when drunk. If a drunk draws a gun and unloads at 10 feet, you have a decent chance of being injured or killed. If a drunk pulls a knife on you at 10 feet, there's a good chance he's gonna stumble some trying to close that gap. A chair, bar stool, or anything that gives a reach advantage makes a better weapon. Not so against a fire arm.

I've treated about 5 times as many not fatal stabbings as I have shootings.
How about we look at it this way. When the drunk pulls his gun and the drunk is trying to decide which one of me to shoot at, I draw and fire first. It is also true you will not have to treat that drunk for his wounds. It will also be the same results if the drunk pulls his knife, I will not be using a bar stool, chair or anything else to hit him with. This is the old story of bringing a knife to a gun fight. You will not be treating him.

·
Registered
768 Posts
How about we look at it this way. When the drunk pulls his gun and the drunk is trying to decide which one of me to shoot at, I draw and fire first. It is also true you will not have to treat that drunk for his wounds. It will also be the same results if the drunk pulls his knife, I will not be using a bar stool, chair or anything else to hit him with. This is the old story of bringing a knife to a gun fight. You will not be treating him.
You practice your shooting drunk?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
At gun shows you must empty and zip tie your weapon. At some you can only buy ammo on your way out the door and all ammo is in an exit only area. Is this due to fear of a gun fight? No. It is fear of accidental discharge. I have been at gun shows where a person shot another outside in an accidental discharge while re-loading his weapon. I know some vendors wear armor all day while at the shows due to the possibility of an accidental discharge even though all firearms are to be unloaded and zip tied. I usually wear armor around my cabin in the mountains during deer hunting season. There are a lot of idiots in the woods during deer hunting season.

I'm curious when this protest to protect the statues is. I have not heard of Antifa showing up at any event where open or concealed weapons are allowed. I will say that if I was at such an event and someone came at me swinging a bike lock or skateboard that would be their last event ever.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Doc I believe that he is suggesting that the person doing the attacking with the knife is drunk, not him.

As you well know there are various levels of drunk. Earlier in the evening a drunk may be better able to handle himself. Also, some people are quite tolerant to the effects of alcohol, at least to outward appearance. I certainly wouldn't feel safe just because a drunk had a knife.

Knives don't jam or run out of blade. A knife is a very serious weapon and, drunk or sober, a knife fighter is a life threat.
I agree! A person with a knife that is within 21 feet can close that gap and stab you before you can upholster your weapon. A ex cop buddy of mine only ever shot one person. That person had a knife and even with his gun already drawn he almost got stabbed. 21 feet isn't that far when someone wants you dead.

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,674 Posts
I think ANY politician who has ever voted for gun control should be banned from owning even a ball bat, same goes for their bodyguards.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I agree! A person with a knife that is within 21 feet can close that gap and stab you before you can upholster your weapon. A ex cop buddy of mine only ever shot one person. That person had a knife and even with his gun already drawn he almost got stabbed. 21 feet isn't that far when someone wants you dead.
We worked through this scenario in a home defense course that I took and RB is correct. Just for fun try it with a friend. Have him charge you with a pencil or other object and you stand with something at your side as your weapon. See how quickly he can run at you and try to get you with the pencil and you try to raise your object then click. You will be surprised at how long it takes you to raise your weapon, aim and shoot.

·
Registered
310 Posts
So let's go back to the original question of whether there are places that guns should be banned.

I go along with the idea of jails and prisons, other than for the guards and security staff. Ditto for anyplace where one's ability to exercise good judgement could be significantly diminished: court houses, establishments that serve alcohol or marijuana, that kind of thing.

Personally, I would add public schools to the list...but with one major exception: anyone on the school staff who has earned a concealed carry permit should be allowed to carry on school grounds. Obviously, LEO would be allowed as well. But not parents or students - only school staff and LEO. (recall that the San Bernardino shootings were started by the parents of a child at a daycare facility).

And I'll also respect the privilege of business owners who prohibit firearms at their place of business. In my state (Utah), a sign is considered a request. If I continue to enter and the business objects, I'm legally compelled to leave - refusal to do so merits the involvement of the police, which in turn likely leads to arrest, jail time, and fine. I'll leave if asked, but I'll also make it a point to take my business elsewhere.

·
Cowboy
3,568 Posts
So let's go back to the original question of whether there are places that guns should be banned.

I go along with the idea of jails and prisons, other than for the guards and security staff. Ditto for anyplace where one's ability to exercise good judgement could be significantly diminished: court houses, establishments that serve alcohol or marijuana, that kind of thing.

Personally, I would add public schools to the list...but with one major exception: anyone on the school staff who has earned a concealed carry permit should be allowed to carry on school grounds. Obviously, LEO would be allowed as well. But not parents or students - only school staff and LEO. (recall that the San Bernardino shootings were started by the parents of a child at a daycare facility).

And I'll also respect the privilege of business owners who prohibit firearms at their place of business. In my state (Utah), a sign is considered a request. If I continue to enter and the business objects, I'm legally compelled to leave - refusal to do so merits the involvement of the police, which in turn likely leads to arrest, jail time, and fine. I'll leave if asked, but I'll also make it a point to take my business elsewhere.
I'm playing devils advocate...

In your example above "Shall not be infringed" can be ignored? And IF it can be ignored then the rest of the United States Constitution can be ignored too?

·
Internet Princess
2,809 Posts
I'll go along with most of what you said. Why should I be prohibited from protecting my child when I pick them up from school or drop them off? Should I be required to drop my kid off then go back home and get my gun before I go to work? When I am in the middle of my daily chores do I go home, disarm, go to school and then go back home to get my gun so I can then take the kid shopping or do I have to just give up my right to protect my family?

Because one parent misused a gun should all parents loose their Second Amendment rights? Many parents get drunk and beat their family. Should all parents be prohibited from using alcohol?
In NM your vehicle is considered an extension of your home. You can go to the school as long as the weapon remains out of sight in the car.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts