Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This article posed the question, but what so you? Are there any places where guns should not be allowed?

"Authorities are planning to cordon off a 'weapons-free assembly zone' around the statue of Robert E. Lee on Monument Avenue in an effort to head off any potential violence at a rally to support preserving Confederate monuments planned for Saturday," richmond.com reports. Oh wait. They changed their minds (something about the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution). The Chief of the RPD had this to say about that . . .

"I feel your pain," Durham told a woman who had asked what advice he had for counterprotesters who wanted to protect themselves from being shot. "The same fear you have is the same fear my officers have. The only thing I can say is, don't show up and you don't have to worry about being shot."

Why do I get the idea that the antifa movement would love for one of their own to get shot? And while I don't share that view, I wonder what would happen next, generally. Meanwhile, is there any place where [otherwise legally carried] guns should be banned? Prisons, obviously. But what about airplanes? Within a certain proximity of the President? Court rooms? If anywhere, where?
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/09/robert-farago/question-day-anywhere-guns-banned/

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about inside county Jails? Court rooms? Chemical factories?

·
Banned
595 Posts
In general, only private business/property owners should be able to ban weapons. Folks should be free to carry in public places with very few exceptions.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Strictly speaking, "Shall not be infringed", just as all other words, phrases, sentences and paragraphs found in the Constitution of the United States pertains only to the Federal government and restrictions thereon. A fact that most folks who claim Constitutional rights seem to misunderstand.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am fine with inmates of all kinds not having access to guns and I am fine with guns not being permitted into places like courthouses where oftentimes emotions are highly charged. We break up a lot of skirmishes and kerfuffles in courthouses, during both civil and criminal proceedings. Of course private property is private property. But other than that I am a firm believer in national concealed carry, teachers with guns, guns on college campuses, guns on planes, guns at sporting events, etc., etc., etc. An armed society is a polite society and all that. But I also believe in the strictest of penalties for those who break the law with firearms. Especially when alcohol or drugs are involved. Let those who commit the act pay the price, not those who do not and would not.

·
Dogs breath
2,597 Posts
I think common sense should prevail.

I carry a gun everywhere I go.

I just don't go to jails and prisons.

I will not carry it in a court house (jury duty) , cause its illegal.

I guess thats about it , that I dont carry.

I don't tell anyone , and I don't advertise .

Jim

·
Internet Princess
2,809 Posts
No weapons at a protest should include ALL weapons. Bats, sticks, signs, cars..... if the city is issuing a permit I think they can and should set limitations. As for as for guns, I think that should be left up to local policies and businesses.

·
Not new, just older
791 Posts
None that I can think of.

·
Cowboy
3,568 Posts
Nope, unless they are possessed by a prohibited person.
I'm just playing devil advocate...

Who determines if a Constitutional Right does not apply to a "prohibited" person?

And who defines the definition of "prohibited"?

At a gun club where I was a member I was listening to a conversation about gun rights. Anywhere we want to carry we should be allowed! I pointed out that we were sitting in an establishment that was restricting our rights! What? At the gun club the only time a firearm was allowed to be loaded was at the the fire-line. Isn't that restricting our rights? Well you got to use common sense! I agree. But who determines what is "common sense"?

·
I sold my soul to the internet
2,121 Posts
No bans. The constitution never listed any bans.
That not really true, the constitution protect you in your home.
So I can only carry there, if you say so & must leave as soon as you say leave.
Like vampires in old movies.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Bars-In Alaska you can carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol but you can't drink. You can't even go into a bar here. Knives are ubiquitous here, what's the difference? .
Knifes require a much higher degree of coordination to fight with especially when drunk. If a drunk draws a gun and unloads at 10 feet, you have a decent chance of being injured or killed. If a drunk pulls a knife on you at 10 feet, there's a good chance he's gonna stumble some trying to close that gap. A chair, bar stool, or anything that gives a reach advantage makes a better weapon. Not so against a fire arm.

I've treated about 5 times as many not fatal stabbings as I have shootings.

·
The Black Pilgrim
1,339 Posts
Are we talking about banning all citizens? Or just non-LEOs? If LEOs need guns so do law abidding citizens... of course in prisons, prisoners should be prohibited persons... and in view of this I could see visitors being required to check their gun.

Also I could see restrictions in secure areas that are private in nature... places that the public do not have the right to be... however places like courts, museums, etc. that are state run should respect the right to self defense.

What I am conflicted about is private places. In theory I think a peoperty owner has the right to ban guns on his property. HOWEVER, in doing so I also believe he needs to take strict liability for the safety of every soul on his gun free property. So if I die in a shooting in a gun free zone my estate should be able to sue for my wages base on my life expectancy plus damages including mental suffering incured by my family.

One of my greatest fears is that so many properties would become "gun free" that a non-LEO (who BTW is just as much a citizen and therefore should be afforded the same rights) could not effectively carry without breaking the law (in a way that could make them prohibites persons).

I would also like to see laws on the state level making violation of all "gun free zones" a misdemeanor punishable by a fine and not endangering one's carry privileges AND a law requiring any "gun free" zone to offer free secure gun checking.

The goal of these three laws, quite frankly, would be to make it so onerous and expensive in terms of security and liability and violation so leniently treated that only places with real need would restrict carry privileges.

What about inside county Jails? Court rooms? Chemical factories?

·
The Black Pilgrim
1,339 Posts
At the gun club the only time a firearm was allowed to be loaded was at the the fire-line. Isn't that restricting our rights? Well you got to use common sense! I agree. But who determines what is "common sense"?
Is that really the case? At every club I have belonged to weapons in your hands had to be unloaded... but implicitly or explicitly we all know its fine to have a holstered loaded sidearm.

·
The Black Pilgrim
1,339 Posts
I'm just playing devil advocate...

Who determines if a Constitutional Right does not apply to a "prohibited" person?

And who defines the definition of "prohibited"?

At a gun club where I was a member I was listening to a conversation about gun rights. Anywhere we want to carry we should be allowed! I pointed out that we were sitting in an establishment that was restricting our rights! What? At the gun club the only time a firearm was allowed to be loaded was at the the fire-line. Isn't that restricting our rights? Well you got to use common sense! I agree. se"?
The legislature determines the penalty including loss of freedoms (i.e prison) for a term up to and including life, ans a jury of your peers imposes it.

"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

·
The Black Pilgrim
1,339 Posts
Yep that is the case. "No loaded firearms" posted at the entrance.
Sounds like a really dumb rule... not sure I would belong to that club.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts