Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've thought about this a lot. I live in Wisconsin. It gets very cold here in the winter. I don't mean to sound harsh but I think the best time for a societal collapse is December 1st. If there are no jobs, no place to buy food, and no electricity I'd rather that people froze to death than starved. They would also be a lot less dangerous people around.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Do you mean best as in "most likely" or best as in "better for those of us who are prepared"?

I think its most likely to happen in the cold of winter (when energy prices peak) or the heat of summer (when crime peaks).

As far as when is best for the prepper I would have to think maybe right before spring so we could plant our gardens KNOWING we would have to live off them (some do that already though). Also this time of year would give most of us the best weather for last minute preps or travelling to that BOL.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean best as in "most likely" or best as in "better for those of us who are prepared"?

I think its most likely to happen in the cold of winter (when energy prices peak) or the heat of summer (when crime peaks).

As far as when is best for the prepper I would have to think maybe right before spring so we could plant our gardens KNOWING we would have to live off them (some do that already though). Also this time of year would give most of us the best weather for last minute preps or travelling to that BOL.
I was thinking about what would be best for the prepper.

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
I've thought about this a lot. I live in Wisconsin. It gets very cold here in the winter. I don't mean to sound harsh but I think the best time for a societal collapse is December 1st. If there are no jobs, no place to buy food, and no electricity I'd rather that people froze to death than starved. They would also be a lot less dangerous people around.
I see it differently. I think December would be the least likely as a lot of money gets pumped into the economy around that time.

I would place my bet on when the heat sets in. Rising fuel prices, among other issues, would seem to be an reason for collapse.

·
Banned
399 Posts
There isn't a good time for a collapse. There are many different ways a collapse could come. Some we do not even have an idea of.

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
I agree...there is no good time for a collapse. But if I HAD to pick I would say early spring, like sometime around February. Then things would kind of settle down before planting time and things would have (hopefully) settled down to a new 'normal'. Bartering and trading would have begun. We could do spring forage before all of our food preps on hand ran out. Then we would for sure know to plant all we could. Livestock would start laying good and going broody as well as most cattle, goats,and sheep are bred to have their babies in the spring. I am sure people would treat the offspring differently...like it would be worth a lot more for breeding stock vs just sending off to the auction or such. Like right now my neighbors would not give me $10 for a baby goat. I bet if TSHTF I could just about name my price for a buck and doe! Or any other breeding stock or babies that can be used for future breeding stock.

·
Banned
399 Posts
Spring comes at different times across the country. What might be called spring in the north may already be the summer here in the south.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I have to agree there is no good time for a collapse. And most likely it will come out of the blue. Last week our whole town lost power due to a sub station blowing up. Everyone here at the courthouse was out in the halls talking. Saying they needed to run some errans since we couldn't work. I spoke up to ask what errans and got various answers they needed to go to the grocery or get gas or go to the bank. I explained they couldn't do any of these and got a lot of blank looks. Then it dawn on some of them the stores and banks were closed, you could not pump gas without electricity. I saw an opportunity and said that during a weather event where we could loose power for days we had warning and were able to prepare, but what about staying prepared for events like this. No one said anything but did get some thoughtful nods from a few.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If it's a total economic collapse, I think March 2012. With the crap going on about the debt ceiling and we'll default in August...blah-blah-blah...I figure if defaults happen in August, I'll give it 6-7 months before total SHTF happens.

We're already have door-to-door home invasions here everyday, 100+ gang shootings and robberies, 24 murders...and just a year ago we were voted the Top 5 Safest City. People have rioted here. I'm sure there will be MUCH MORE and MUCH LARGER riots involving many deaths within the next year. If I see it with my own eyes happening already the past year, It'll only get worse.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Gangs will have the upper hand in soem ways.They already don't care about others;know how to use weapons;many full of hate for society'for whites especially'.

But once their ammo runs out they will start killing each other,so their danger won't last long.

Except for the 'radical' muslism stockpiling weapons in 80% of the mosque here now.They have weapons of all kinds and plenty of them.They practice urban warfare here and abroad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts