Is there a thread for "how to make a safe box"?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by faithmarie, Apr 8, 2010.

1. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

I was wondering if there is a thread for making a safe box. I saw it mentioned on the book review of "one second after"?

2. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

The "Safe Box" in question would actually be a faraday cage. It is just something built to keep small electronics safe from an EMP blast.

There are a few different ways of making them to suit your needs. It all depends on how big you need go to.

3. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

Would a steel gun safe function as a faraday cage?

4. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Good question, I was wondering the same thing.

5. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

Okay I have to figure out what a faraday cage is now.

6. Tex

Tex Pincushion

It's a shielded container to protect the contents from an EMP attack. (Electro Magnetic Pulse)

7. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Yes it would if the safe is grounded, and the electronic gear inside is in another metal box insulated from the outer safe. Thus a farady cage. Actually that is where I keep my handheld Ham radios.

8. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

what would be the best thing to keep in the FC? Like best batteries to keep. Would you have to put hand crank radios in there or would they work without protection?

9. bunkerbob

Most electronics, batteries would not be affected, small transistor circuits are most vulnerable, even crank radios.

10. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

so really you have to keep crank radios in there just in case ....
    Can you line a closet and make a small room into a walk in FC room.
    Like they used to do in the Adirondack camps... a tin lined room to keep rodents and bugs out for the winter.

11. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

The absolute simplest faraday cage is an old microwave that you don't use anymore. It is radiation-sealed already and has a large enough "cooking area" that you can put small electronics into.

You can turn a tin-shed into a faraday cage by filling it with a few filing cabinets seperated from the walls with insulation (a couple inches would be enough). In each drawer of the filing cabinets, you can place all kinds of small electronics (auto-computers, alternators, ignition-systems) that would be protected from an EMP-blast.

You can build another faraday cage inside your house by making sure that there are no power-lines in the walls near the special room. Line the outside of the room with thin-guage aluminum (20 guage would be good), cover with drywall and then line the inside with another layer of thin-guage aluminum. Inside the room have it lit with battery-operated lights - just replace the batteries regularly or you could use a couple of spiral-core gel-cell batteries and swap them out with each other and use a solar-panel to keep them topped up when outside of the faraday room.

There is lots of information on the 'net about a faraday cage, but, to get you started: Faraday cage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:google:

12. bunkerbob

Sure you can build a Faraday cage just about anywhere and out of just about any metal, metal screening, hardware cloth, even small chicken wire, as long as you follow the guidelines, encased( top,bottom,& sides) outer cage grounded with the shortest ground wire(path of least resistance) and a inner core insulated from the outer grounded one. You do not want to create a electrical path between the two, the two being in close proximity may even create a path, thus the insulation. Putting a radio in a large ammo can that has been lined with foam and the radio wrapped in alternating layers of thinner foam and aluminum foil can resist EMP. AS long as the metal does not touch metal.
    Here's a bunch of photos... http://images.google.com/images?q=f...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CC8QsAQwAw

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  13. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

That sounds easy enough.... not like I read on wickapidia.

14. bunkerbob

I added a link with a bunch of photos. faraday cage - Google Search

15. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

Good tip on the microwave. I didn't know that.

Regarding radios, tv's, etc. If they have an external antenna the farady cage won't help because the EMP will use the antenna as a route to the radio/tv. If you want to use something with an antenna the best thing is to disconnect and ground the antenna any time you aren't using it. We do this with our CB and Ham radios when lightning storms move in or when we will be gone a few days.

16. NaeKid

I found this on another site

You don't need anything really fancy for a faraday cage - even a couple of nested cardboard boxes will do the trick ..

17. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

I thought you would have to keep everything in there all the time unless in use. You don't really know when an EMP hits until it has hit.... right?? How long would you have to put stuff in? You might even want to have more than one of what ever you want. And if there is a EMP computers wouldn't work anyway. The satellites would be knocked out also right? We could keep a cage around our generator too. It is portable. But it is loud when on and people would hear it. We have 10 acres and when we had the storm this winter everything was so quiet you could hear the gen real well.

18. NaeKid

There isn't anything in a generator to worry about for EMP - everything in them should be fine. You can run your genny-for-stealth (see our electrical section for a thread with that title).

Do not expect to be able to save everything from an EMP-burst, but, you can try to minimize your losses. When you are finished using your laptop, put it into its case, put the case into a filing cabinet and make sure that it is always closed. Have a portable DVD-player in a case and put it into another drawer in the filing cabinet.

Setup an RV-based solar system with small portable inverters (under 1000 watt) and keep the inverters in another faraday cage. When you need them, plug into the battery system (EMP will not harm solar charging systems unless they are grid-tied) and run 110volt.

The fact that you are on 10 acres tells me that you would be better off than 90% of the city dwellers - EMP would be less likely to harm you unless you have a major power transmission line running near your yard.

19. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

A portable dvd player !!!! Thats a great idea! When the power was out our gen was hooked up to certain outlets and the tv was one of them. Believe it or not it was very comforting ..... as long as we didn't put on a disaster movie.
    I will definitely look into genny-for-stealth... thank you.
    How far away is far enough for major power transmission lines? I don't think we are too near but I'll ask my Hubby.
    About 15 years ago they wanted to put a cell phone tower on out property and I said no but they offered to give us free cell phones and I said no nothing is for free. I was not going against my Husband either at the time he thought computers and cell phones were the devil....
    My Husband has an inverter in his truck .... is that what you are talking about?
    Would EMP effect those?

20. NaeKid

There is alot of information about EMP and the effect it has on electronics - so much that it might be easier to send you off to the many technical based websites that have that information easily accessible if you want to understand the technical nature of EMP.

The simplified version of an EMP-burst: unless an EMP-burst is directly overhead (within visible distance to each horizon), it will not affect you without being able to travel along power lines (think of the power lines as part of an antenna that transmits radio signal into a receiver). Unless you have a pacemaker installed, the EMP-burst will not affect your physical body.

The burst will "spark" towards anything that it can from the power lines and anything within direct contact to those lines can be fried, and anything within a certain distance of those lines can be fried if they are not in a faraday cage. You house is directly tied to those lines, so, your house can help spread the EMP-burst to anything inside your house that is electronic inside (TV, VCR, DVD, Computer, Phone) but it should not harm heavy-duty items like a furnace motor unless it was running at the time of burst - then your guess would be as good as mine.

Meaning - if you have a steel-quonset on your yard and it is nothing more than a shed without power and a vehicle is inside it, the EMP-burst will "flow" down the outside of the quonset and into the ground, missing the vehicle parked inside it.

Now, if that same vehicle is parked outside within a mile of an overhead power line, the EMP-burst might take out the computer in the vehicle making it inoperable. If the vehicle is driving and an EMP-burst happens and the vehicle happens to be on a road with an overhead power line within sight, the burst could again take out the computer and make it inoperable.

The vehicle could stall and not start again.

You have seen thousands of electrical bursts in your life (think thunderstorm with lightning) and in general they don't harm much, but when they do, they do lots of damage. EMP is similar in nature, only significantly more powerful with a greater range of electrical destruction than with summer lightning storms.