Is the river rising Mama?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Clarice, May 5, 2011.

1. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

We live only 35 miles from the Mississippi River. It is expected to crest May 12 at 7 feet above the 1927 flood stage. At that time the water came within 7 miles of where I live. We are on a high prarrie so I'm not too worried. More concerned about all the snakes and other varmits that will move our way to escape the flood waters should the levees not hold. Please keep all those who live or work along the river in your prayers. Prepare for the worst and Pray for the best.

2. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Will do.

Like you, we're blessed to be at a higher elevation (we're less than 15 mi from the Ohio, but not having the same level of flooding as the Mississippi). Hadn't thought about the varmits, though...

There's been so little info about the flooding in the news (plenty about the royal wedding and UBL, though) - please keep us posted with what's going on.

3. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

This seems to be the two years to keep everyone in our prayers and thoughts as Mother Earth unleases her fury upon us.

Strange how the mainstream media has not pointed out any correlation to the global events hammering people all over this planet. From the excessive heat way in Russia, to the floods in Australia and Brazil, to the massive earthquakes in Haiti, Japan, New Zealand, Volcano in Iceland, Winter storms on the eastern seaboard, Tornados in the south......

Global weather and earth activity are changing and could add to the trigger point of economic meltdown.

Look at how the global climate alone has effected crops on a global scale. We are feeling the pinch everytime we walk in the door of the grocery store.

4. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

don't forget folks, we're still coming OUT of the Ice Age...

5. Momturtle

Momturtle Well-Known Member

During Hurricane Donna when I was a kid in Florida, the water came up 2 feet deep in our neighborhood. My dad took the door off the screened-in porch so the critters would have a place to get out of the water but not come in the house. It is the only time I have ever seen rattlesnakes in the "wild". We had rabbits, snakes, lizards, skunks and possums on our porch. When the water went away, they went away. Mom wouldn't go on the porch for weeks. Dad made the whole event an adventure for us but we learned a lot of great lessons as well. One was be prepared and you don't have to worry as much and the other was that grown men do pray out loud when the situation calls for it.

You are in our prayers here.

6. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

That's an awesome image. Thanks for sharing it.

7. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

You bet I will pray!

8. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Wow, Clarice, that's something I never thought of, the critters having to move ahead of flood waters. We get that here, from forest fires.

We'll be praying for you and everyone there.

9. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Keep on the dry side. ;)

You and your in my thoughts ...

10. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

Woohoo! Break out the catfishing gear! :D

When my buddy's area floods every few years (never in his house, thank Goodness!) he has catfish, snakes, the occasional gator all passing through his lake.... uh.... yard. Also, FIRE ANTS!!!! They will ball up and float on the surface, so another very good reason to STAY OUT of the flood waters!
    Even once the flood recedes, there will be wet spots in the lower areas, and the whole area stinks with the decomposing swamp garbage. Expect frogs..... LOTS of frogs afterwards...... :cool:

11. Clarice

Thanks guys for all the good wishes and prayers. They have closed Interstate 40 from Memphis to Little Rock because of the flooding. The corps of engineers blew up a 2 mile section of the levee at Birds Point, MO (flooding 130,000 acres) to help. But the water just keeps coming. I had forgoton about the ants and the frogs Bigdog.

12. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

We'll be praying for you Clarice. We know the feeling of being in the path of a natural disaster. I hope everyone is ok.

13. efbjr

efbjr Well-Known Member

Battered in New England...

Three Northeasters (think of a hurricane with snow) in a month, :mad: along with regular snowfall, buried us under 42 inches of snow last winter here in RI. :eek:My preps helped a lot...I didn't have to go out for groceries too often. :)

14. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

How is looking Clarice?

Keeping you in my thoughts ...

15. Clarice

Thanks Andi, the river should crest in our area today or tomorrow. Already heavy flooding along the rivers that flow into the "Big Muddy". Last night on the news they were showing some of the pictures from the Vicksburg, MS area south of us, what a mess, and the crest hasn't reach there yet. As I feared there were snakes everywhere along with so much trash. Pray those levees hold.

16. efbjr

efbjr Well-Known Member

Another one...

Just had another Northeaster blow by, out to sea. Just got a little rain and wind, but the it surprised the weathermen that we had one so late in the season. :confused::confused::eek:

17. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

Keep us posted on how ya'll are Clarice! We'll be praying!!!

18. Clarice

Thanks for all the prayers guys. The flood forcast has just been updated for Greenville, MS (just across the river from us). Revised to crest on Monday May 16 at 65', flood stage is 48'. There have already been several sand boils in the leeves. A sand boil is when the river starts to undermind the leeve on the river side and the pressure causes the sand or dirt on the opposite side to bubble and look like it is boiling. The corps. has been on top of it so far and quickly repaired the weakness. Nothing we can do but Pray and wait.

19. Clarice

So far the leeves are holding. Crest was 17th. They said it will be weeks before the water starts to receed. Saw on the news all the farmland that was intentionally flooded to relieve pressure on the levees. Tens of thousands of acres some with corn already 6' high, wheat & oats one week from harvest. My heart goes out to those farmers and all the people who have lost their homes. Guess the government sacrificed the few for the many. I would imagine this will effect the cost of food very soon. Already reports of black bears and deer fleeing those flooded areas in record numbers as well as gaters, snakes and other small critters. Please keep this area in your prayers.

20. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Wow, how sad. Thanks for keeping us updated. I've learned things I never knew about flooding.