Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an on foot bug out situation is it worth hauling a folding shovel?

It’s obviously a very useful tool (From digging out animals and tubers, making fire pits, making pit traps, making a dug out, etc etc.), but every oz is important, let alone the couple of lbs a folding shovel weighs.

What’s you guys’ opinion on it?

·
Registered
27 Posts

It's obviously a very useful tool (From digging out animals and tubers, making fire pits, making pit traps, making a dug out, etc etc.), but every oz is important, let alone the couple of lbs a folding shovel weighs.

What's you guys' opinion on it?
I think I would, yes. If I couldn't find a good alternative for the black, 3 piece folding shovel the Army issued to me, I would bring that one. It all depends though, where you will be headed. If you are staying in a pretty built up environment, I think perhaps you could acquire a shovel at some point, and use it until you didn't need it, alleviating the need for one of these shovels, or entrenching tools, E Tools, as we call them.

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
It's nice to have. It's also something you could leave behind at any point based on usage (or lack there of).
IIRC, the one I have has a hammer head and a couple other things making it more of a multi-tool to save weight.

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
Folding shovel

It's obviously a very useful tool (From digging out animals and tubers, making fire pits, making pit traps, making a dug out, etc etc.), but every oz is important, let alone the couple of lbs a folding shovel weighs.

Absolutly worth the weight.

In addition to digging, It is a chopping tool, and a close combat weapon.

It can be thrown to kill small game and used as a frying pan to cook it.

You can prize open a door with it or chop through one with it.

:soapbox1:

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
My vote is "no." I carry a small garden trowel. My favorite one is made of plastic. I've never needed anything larger when back-packing. Now if you plan on serious shelter building or digging a shovel would be a good thing. Like Bill also said ... it can be used for other things. I've just never had a need for one.

Steve

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Absolutly worth the weight.

In addition to digging, It is a chopping tool, and a close combat weapon.

It can be thrown to kill small game and used as a frying pan to cook it.

You can prize open a door with it or chop through one with it.

:soapbox1:
Absolutely agree! It can be an invaluable tool indeed. You can get smaller ones than the normal E-tool, Gerber makes a good one and there are lot of others out there on the market.

bczoom,
The one you have sounds very interesting, What is the brand name of it if you don't mind telling me?

oldvet:)

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
YES ! but get a real one..us military issue... real issue not some tinny look alike..

·
234 Posts
HozayBuck is right on the money with that advice. I had a knock-off (which I thought was GI issue) that was packaged just like the real deal, right down to the U.S. stamps on the canvas cover. It was a real piece of dung. I broke it out this summer to take care of some weeds etc under a low-hanging tree; in 15 minutes, it was destroyed. I couldn't even close the durn thing when I gave up. That's what I get for not making sure it had the right pedigree!

But back to the point of worth: I don't carry a shovel in the field because of weight. I carry a steel garden trowel. Good for digging cat-holes, dakota fire pits and moving coals around on the fire for scientific cooking. If I am going "light and fast" (as mentioned by the OP), I will not be doing any serious digging. On foot and bugging out means that stuff is really thick to have made me leave my primary residence, as my plan is "bug-in first". I will be trying for serious miles in minimum days, carrying maximum gear to get me to point B. My pack will not contain long-term tools, as those are at point B. It will contain sufficient water, food, ammo and shelter to keep me alive until I am in a safe place. While the idea of a shovel as a field expedient weapon has been long tested and tried, if I am hand-to-hand with a frigging shovel, the end is close. But that's just my assessment based on my experience in the field.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
YES ! but get a real one..us military issue... real issue not some tinny look alike..
Yep. I have one attached to my bag and if I have to BO, it goes with me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for your opinions.

And of course for the many uses of the shovel this must be the most creative The "Chinese military shovel video".

Attachments

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts

Its very useful as a weapon, properly sharpened I'd take one over a Machete.
But I've used one as a weapon before.no cop except in SanFagSisco will call you on it,keep it beside you on those long nights out.read the army FM on how to use it hand to hand, You'll get there.

P.S
IF you decide to sharpen it,blast it with some paint.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I have an old one that was made for the U.S. Army, it is at my BOL. I found it at a garage sale for $5.00

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Oldvet - the one I have is this Gerber
Amazon.com: Gerber 22-41578 Gorge Folding Shovel: Home Improvement

Looking at it, besides the hammer, it doesn't have multi-tool capabilities. I must be thinking of something else.

Reading the specs on this one, I can see why I did get it. Compact and light.
bczoom: Thank you Sir.
I went by our local Academy store and took a good look at the Gerber folder with the hammer head and I was very impressed. I just don't know how well it would hold up, what is your experience with it? Good buy or not?

oldvet

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
Can't say I've used it enough to give an honest real-life review. Because of the kids, most of our camping is "car camping" which doesn't get extreme enough to truly test the ruggedness of the item(s). I have no complaints but it has been light work. I like to check the reviews online so I can get the experience of others. I try to keep this one with my BOB due to its size and weight.

I have a couple of these Cold Steel shovels as well. They can take a beating...
http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Special-Forces-Hardwood/dp/B00169V99K/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_text_b

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
Use as a weapon

The entrenching shovel was and still is the prefered weapon to use in hand to hand combat. They were first used in trench warfare as close combat weapons during WWI. US special forces still train with it as a prefered close quarters weapon.

:cool:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Bczoom, I really like those cold steel/soviet-style shovels. A lot of the reviews, however, say that the handle breaks very easily. That doesn't really bother me, as I don't mind replacing it with a better handle. It seems to me that this would be the obvious answer, but nobody seems to have done it; how is it attached?

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
Bczoom, I really like those cold steel/soviet-style shovels. A lot of the reviews, however, say that the handle breaks very easily. That doesn't really bother me, as I don't mind replacing it with a better handle. It seems to me that this would be the obvious answer, but nobody seems to have done it; how is it attached?
Did a quick check and ... couldn't find any. Must be at the BOL. I'm hoping to go there tomorrow so I'll check it out and maybe take a pic if it's something worth detailing.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts