Investing In Copper?

Discussion in 'Money, Investing & Precious Metals' started by UncleJoe, Jun 4, 2010.

1. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Here's your chance to own 1 million pre 1983 copper pennies, face value - $10,000, for only $25,000. :rolleyes:

Yes, copper will probably increase in value. But 1 million pennies? :scratch

2. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

3. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

The per-ounce value of copper present in copper pennies is $0.0192296.

One-million copper pennies are worth $19229.60 for the copper value. Not a good deal! Even with the zinc value added in they would be worth only $19493.40. Still not a good deal. (Unless you're selling them at that price.)

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/1909-1982-Lincoln-Cent-Penny-Value.html

4. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

He won't ship! That alone would be a nightmare.

5. UncleJoe

Ain't that the truth. 7000 lbs. :eek:

6. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

I have invested in a lot of copper, but it's wrapped around a lead core. :D

7. mosquitomountainman

Right on!!!!!:2thumb::2thumb:

8. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

9. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I like copper, it is used in the mfg. of bronze. I sell bronze for a living and have done quite well at it. I am a commissioned salesman so I make more money for less or the same ammount of work when the price is up. I do question the ammount of copper in a penny,:scratch several years ago they began adding zinc to the alloy in an effort to drive the cost down.

10. mosquitomountainman

These amounts were for "Lincoln" pennies made between 1909 - 1982. I believe the copper content was higher then.

11. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

There are tips for Sunday,Monday,Tuesday some for every day of the week. One must dress properly to do a job well. :2thumb:

12. sailaway

Yea, I bought my 1909 S VDB penny in 1977 for $300.00 and sold it in 2003 for $1,700.00. There was alot more copper in pennies back then. I'd still have that penny today if I didn't get a wife in 2002.:D

13. UncleJoe

No kidding!?

I have one of those penny "books" that run from 1909-1958. It's completely filled except for the 1909 S VDB. Guess I know why now. :eek:

14. sailaway

Uncle Joe, you can get one for alot less than that at a coin show, but in my youth I was a good adult child of an alcohalic and mine had to be perfect. I mowed lawns, did odd jobs and delivered newspapers all summer to get that penny.

15. dnsnthegrdn

dnsnthegrdn Member

Not all 1982 pennies are solid copper. The copper pennies will weigh 3.1 grams while the zinc cored pennies weigh 2.5 grams.

16. Cahri

Cahri Well-Known Member

Here copper is always a target for thieves, I think I'll pass

17. slick

slick Active Member

I bought a 5 kilo bar from tacoma copper just for the heck of it, its polished up nice and on a stand.. Cya Slick

18. efbjr

efbjr Well-Known Member

Good buy...

You bought a wife for a penny! Wow...What a deal! :2thumb: I got married 30 years ago and I'm still paying! :eek: :D

19. efbjr

efbjr Well-Known Member

So is aluminum. Came home to my apartment building and saw two techs working in the cell phone equipment building attached to the main building (we have 3 cell systems operating off of the roof...no problem with signal strength here! :2thumb: ) Seems that some low-lifes stole all the aluminum ground wire attached to the structure. Couldn't have been more than 15-20 pounds worth, but a major pain to replace! :gaah:

20. power

power ExCommunicated

Seems like investing in copper would not be a winning investment. The price isn't high enough. It takes quite a bit of room to keep enough to make it worth while. Any amount not mounting to tons would not be worth the effort. With tons you would need a safe place to store it.