Invest in precious metals!

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by SnakeDoc, Oct 16, 2010.

1. SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc Well-Known Member

Brass, lead and copper, need I say more?:)

2. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

The best copper one could invest in is pre 1982 pennies. They are 95% copper and 5% zinc and worth about two each as copper if they could be melted., A person can go to the bank, buy a couple bricks every day for $25., hand sort them, save the pre 82s and within a couple weeks they could have a few hundred dollars in pre 82 pennies with a face value of 300., but a junk value of over $600 when the government lifts the ban on melting them, there's really no way to lose in sorting pennies. one could even buy a RYEDALE sorting machine if they had enough banks to supply them with pennies to make it worth while.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010

3. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Unfortunately, in my area at least, it's not worthwhile to sort pennies because there aren't many in the rolls I've bought...I think a person might be better off working a deal with someone who has a huge collection of pennies that they've not turned in.

4. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

Apparently this isn't going where you though it would ??? Or at least where I though it would....

5. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

I buy mine by the "brick" :D

6. SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc Well-Known Member

Apparently not enuff said. If the ammo crisis of the past 20 months hasn't woken folks up, I will ask: do you think that ammo will be available post SHTF? Get what you need now.

It isn't a trade item, but is a source of food and security. I also envision community militias becoming necessary.

7. thunderdan19

thunderdan19 Shoots to Thrill

I disagree on the not for trade. I believe ammo is a wonderful commodity to hold for trade. What is more valuable than a tool to provide security for yourself and your loved ones? I think ammo will be many times more valueable in a SHTF scenario than any kind of gold or silver coins.

8. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

I might sell ammunition now, when it's plentiful and not a whole lot of people are using it in a bad way, but post SHTF, I ain't bartering away any ammunition. I'd have a problem with a neighbor who was bartering ammunition and/or firearms.

9. lotsoflead

here the rolls are about 50% but i have done several car boys and 5 gallon buckets for relatives that were 80-90 %.

10. lotsoflead

if i was a hunter, I'd include plenty of powder,lead and a hand reloader in the preps.

11. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

I would have to be hurting real bad to trade ammo unless it was with a friend/family member. I'm also stocking wheel weights, primers etc. I have molds for my popular sizes including a 1 oz slug. I can make slugs for pennies. As far as reloading goes it's the best bang for the buck. Most of the time I just by wolf or other cheap stuff. Some of it is so cheap it's not worth reloading (at least not now).

12. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Do you by chance know the composition of 1960's copper pipe? Is it 100% copper or something less?

13. lotsoflead

I don't, but back then they were still allowed to solder it with solder that had lead in it, but the copper pipe could still have been pure if for human use.