Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
The best copper one could invest in is pre 1982 pennies. They are 95% copper and 5% zinc and worth about two each as copper if they could be melted., A person can go to the bank, buy a couple bricks every day for $25., hand sort them, save the pre 82s and within a couple weeks they could have a few hundred dollars in pre 82 pennies with a face value of 300., but a junk value of over $600 when the government lifts the ban on melting them, there's really no way to lose in sorting pennies. one could even buy a RYEDALE sorting machine if they had enough banks to supply them with pennies to make it worth while.

·
a dude
654 Posts
Unfortunately, in my area at least, it's not worthwhile to sort pennies because there aren't many in the rolls I've bought...I think a person might be better off working a deal with someone who has a huge collection of pennies that they've not turned in.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Brass, lead and copper, need I say more?:)
Apparently this isn't going where you though it would ??? Or at least where I though it would....

·
I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
1,799 Posts
I buy mine by the "brick" :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apparently this isn't going where you though it would ??? Or at least where I though it would....
Apparently not enuff said. If the ammo crisis of the past 20 months hasn't woken folks up, I will ask: do you think that ammo will be available post SHTF? Get what you need now.

It isn't a trade item, but is a source of food and security. I also envision community militias becoming necessary.

·
Shoots to Thrill
125 Posts
I disagree on the not for trade. I believe ammo is a wonderful commodity to hold for trade. What is more valuable than a tool to provide security for yourself and your loved ones? I think ammo will be many times more valueable in a SHTF scenario than any kind of gold or silver coins.

·
a dude
654 Posts
I might sell ammunition now, when it's plentiful and not a whole lot of people are using it in a bad way, but post SHTF, I ain't bartering away any ammunition. I'd have a problem with a neighbor who was bartering ammunition and/or firearms.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Unfortunately, in my area at least, it's not worthwhile to sort pennies because there aren't many in the rolls I've bought...I think a person might be better off working a deal with someone who has a huge collection of pennies that they've not turned in.
here the rolls are about 50% but i have done several car boys and 5 gallon buckets for relatives that were 80-90 %.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I disagree on the not for trade. I believe ammo is a wonderful commodity to hold for trade. What is more valuable than a tool to provide security for yourself and your loved ones? I think ammo will be many times more valueable in a SHTF scenario than any kind of gold or silver coins.
if i was a hunter, I'd include plenty of powder,lead and a hand reloader in the preps.

·
www.veggear.blogspot.com
720 Posts
I would have to be hurting real bad to trade ammo unless it was with a friend/family member. I'm also stocking wheel weights, primers etc. I have molds for my popular sizes including a 1 oz slug. I can make slugs for pennies. As far as reloading goes it's the best bang for the buck. Most of the time I just by wolf or other cheap stuff. Some of it is so cheap it's not worth reloading (at least not now).

·
Registered
837 Posts
Do you by chance know the composition of 1960's copper pipe? Is it 100% copper or something less?
I don't, but back then they were still allowed to solder it with solder that had lead in it, but the copper pipe could still have been pure if for human use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts