Introduction and Full Disclosure

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by DisasterReindeer, Dec 12, 2008.

1. DisasterReindeer

DisasterReindeer Resident Disaster Expert

Hi all, I heard about his new forum from a Jeep Forum email and on Slick Deals.

I want to get this out of the way:

I work in Emergency Management for JIB Emergency/Disaster Preparedness and local agencies as an Instructor. JIB is a gov contractor and business consultant. We sell one retail product on Amazon.com; a family disaster kit.

Please feel free to ask me questions about FEMA or DHS regulations or guidelines. I have huge resources in planning and responding to disasters. Search and rescue, medical, terrorism attacks are all my teaching skills.

See you all around

2. skip

skip Old hillbilly

As a former firefighter, and now president of the board of a local fire dept., I view Homeland Security as a two edged sword. On one hand, we have applied for, and gotten several grants from them. But I do not trust them to help if, God forbid, a major catastrophic event hits a large part of the US. They will worry about the larger population centers long before they help us "hicks".

Am I wrong in feeling this way?

3. DisasterReindeer

DisasterReindeer Resident Disaster Expert

Nope! Your right.

The FEMA funding was two tiered. It went to major metropolitan areas(and probable targets/disaster prone areas) first, then to the outlying areas. The trickle down was very minimal to "Hick" towns :p

You have to consider though, that your area will most likely not experience a man made disaster.

You have to prepare for your own local hazards that FEMA or DHS is expecting you to do.

CERT is a great example of a "Do it your self" program that you can launch to utilize the benefits of the Force-Multiplier effect. There should be some funding for CERT through the department.

4. Backwoods

Backwoods Out In The Sticks

Glad to have you both here DisasterReindeer and skip.

Knowledge is power..............

5. skip

skip Old hillbilly

Our problem is we are rural, but very, very close to one of the largest military training bases around. This base does training for chemical weapons, among other things.