Interview Request

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by CuriousJournalist, Feb 2, 2011.

1. CuriousJournalist

CuriousJournalist New Member

Hi!

My name is Evan, I'm a reporter for a college magazine called Gauge run out of Emerson College in Boston (our website is here: Gauge Magazine : The Final Frontier). I'm happy to provide clips of my work so you all know I'm not some weirdo. My most recent article is here: Gauge Magazine : Little House on the Red Planet. I'm writing an article about survivalists and I'm looking for people to interview.

I'm interested in the side of survivalism that doesn't get mentioned in the mainstream media - one thing I've found as I've done interviews and research is that contrary to what gets reported in the press, you guys have a big emphasis on community and helping others. There seems to me to be a lot more optimism in the survivalist community than I had thought there was before starting this story. I'd want to talk to you about your personal story - how you got into survivalism, what it means to you, etc. I'd also like to talk about the larger survivalist population - how you would characterize most survivalists, how you get represented in the media, what the media gets wrong/right.

If anyone would be willing to speak with me, you can reach me by email at [email protected]. I'd really appreciate it!

Evan

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2011
  2. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

You probably won't find many preppers who are interested in doing an interview, but, if you read through the site, you might find the answers to the questions that you are looking for already answered based on the other questions-answers already posted.

The best way to describe the majority of us is that we are willing to work hard to keep our life skills (school calls it Home-Ec and ShopClass) honed to a sharp edge. We try to not rely on other people / businesses as much as possible, but, understand that we must use what is available today to survive tomorrow.

3. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

Survivalists always seems like a negative label.
    Most people associate survivalists with cammo wearing, gun toting, anti social yahoos living in the mountains.
    While that may be true of some preppers I doubt there are any or very few here that fit that description.
    Just my .02 worth. YMMV

4. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I'm not a survivalist. I'm a person who is planning ahead and preparing for what might come down the pike. It only makes sense to be ready for emergencies such as natural disasters (including severe storms), or losing an income (either through lay-off, injury or illness).

It beats competing with the crowds getting those last-minute staples ahead of a storm, or worrying what we'd eat in those first few weeks after losing an income while there are so many other things to worry about.

5. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Howdy Evan
    The thing is most folks like us are bothered by the " IST " label..I'm a "Survivor" no ist involved...

I got into this frame of mind over 40 years ago , I know I will take better care of me and mine then the Gov or anybody else, I don't want the Gov to be involved in my business or in how I plan to live thru the mess they've made of the country..

You would never see one of us sitting on the curb crying for the Government to come save us like we saw in NO during Katrina.. but you also would not see most of us handing over our weapons to the JBT' s either... of course I'm speaking for myself here ...

In a word we are not Survivalist.. we are Independent Americans who can take care of ourselves with no input from the likes of FEMA.... we can feed ourselves, plant and grow our own food, gather it, store it for hard times and keep warm and dry and healthy with no help from the Gov..thank you!..

We have no secret hand shakes, or passwords.. we don't burn crosses or plan to kill everybody who comes near us... but I believe a lot of are trained and able to do so if we are attacked...( as everybody should be ) most of us are the types who stop to offer help to a stranded motorist... I open doors for ladies and allow them to enter first.. in other words I believe we are a polite type of folks ...

So I guess what we are is what America used to be about 70 years ago.. decent polite hard working ,willing and able folks who ask only to be left alone to live as we wish..

A lot of us in here are former Military , former LEO's.. I think a lot of the folks home school and their kids are better off for it.. some are religious and some are god fearing folks.. not always the same if you gather the meaning.. I know we have a fairly diverse bunch who believe different things...

So in a nutshell do as NK said and read back posts.. there is a lot of what your looking for there.. just keep in mind we are normal people who don't always agree , hell! some of us NEVER agree...:D.. and take great pride in it...:2thumb:

I guess it's mostly that we think one can of green beans is better then no cans.. but 10 is better yet...

Food , shelter , and safety is what " I " want and that's what I have... it's a good way... no rat race to speak of .. happy to be part of this family here in "PS" and happy that once in a while I may be able to give back to the group as much as I take..

As you read you will see we have diverse opinions of the way the country is being lead... and some of us are free with those opinions... me being one... but like unasked for advice..it's free and worth the price...

Good luck... just keep in mind, write the truth , as it is.. not as you want it to be.. most people today are sick and tired of the main stream media... so be refreshing!! tell the truth, the whole truth..even if it don't neatly fit into your agenda... if you have one...

And in ending this... I hope you not only find the answers to your questions, I hope you come to understand our message.. BE PREPARED!!!.. and I hope you come back and join us as a prepper whose eyes are now open!..

HB

6. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

It'll be pretty tough to top that response Hozay. :congrat: :2thumb: :beercheer:

7. ComputerGuy

ComputerGuy Retired Air Force

WOW... HozayBuck's post game me a woodie!! LOL

8. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

new name for the above poster: TMIGuy.

:) just kiddin'!

9. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Wow, Hozay, that was well put! :2thumb:

10. CuriousJournalist

Wow thank you all so much for your responses!

I hadn't realized that the word 'survivalist' was touchy - good to know. It does make sense, as what you read in the news is generally fairly negative when it comes to survivalists.

Hozay, thank you so much for your long post - in the interviews I've done, I've found what you're saying to be true, that you're just regular people who want to be able to help themselves and others.

I hope I don't have an agenda, and really, any conceptions I had of survivialism/prepping have really gone out the window as I've been doing research. I hope to write the truth as it is.

I understand if people don't want to do interviews (though I would really love to interview you all) - but if you're uncomfortable speaking with a reporter, I get it. I was wondering then in that case if any of you have suggestions on who I should talk to?

Again, thanks so much for replying to me. If you do want to talk, my email is [email protected].

Evan

11. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

You are a college-reporter, what kind of audience are you looking to write your story towards? Are you hoping that high-school age teenagers will be reading it and learning something? Are you hoping that college-age 20-somethings will read it and learn something? Do you want your grandparents to read the story and learn something?

What are you (personally) hoping to accomplish with the story?

If you sent any member here a PM for an "online" question-n-answer session, what kinds of questions would you want answers for, or, did you want someone to ramble away on the phone while you record-it and then write your story from an hour-long conversation?

Do you want to interview someone who is 17-years-old and just starting out with prepping (learning) or someone who has been at it for 40-years and knows alot, but, is still learning? Do you want to interview someone who has taught different levels of prepping or someone who has no experience in teaching?

Subjects that are very common among all preppers include gardening, hunting, fishing, canning, cooking, dehydrating, warehousing, construction, transportation, communications and staying under the radar of the PTB (Powers That Be) - not because we have something to hide, but, because we don't need others meddling in our lives and causing us grief.

You might have some better responses from the members here if you are forthcoming in what your overall plans are. :wave:

12. CuriousJournalist

You are a college-reporter, what kind of audience are you looking to write your story towards? Are you hoping that high-school age teenagers will be reading it and learning something? Are you hoping that college-age 20-somethings will read it and learn something? Do you want your grandparents to read the story and learn something?
    ----I am writing mainly to a college age audience, but we do distribute Gauge to the larger Boston area. Sill, the audience is probably between the ages of about 18-35. (I do hope my grandparents will read it too, though.) Hopefully anyone who reads it will learn something - I'm not writing a how-to, I'm more trying to show people the side of 'survivalism' they haven't really seen in the media. Gauge as a magazine tries to look at lots of different topics from new angles and try to understand them better and deeper than other publications do. So hopefully a person reading my article will understand some of the basic tenets of prepping, but also the people who do it.

What are you (personally) hoping to accomplish with the story?
    ----I set out just trying to learn more about survivalism/prepping. It's something I'd read about before, but never in a really positive light. I've always found really cool untold stories when I investigate groups that society at large either laughs at or fears. For instance, I've written about Mars colonization societies (you can read my article here: Gauge Magazine : Little House on the Red Planet) and found that while they usually get treated as a big joke, there are some very smart and genuine and honest people involved, and it shouldn't be made fun of. With that story, I investigated something I didn't know anything about and found a compelling narrative and a fascinating group of people. That's what I'm hoping to do with this story.

If you sent any member here a PM for an "online" question-n-answer session, what kinds of questions would you want answers for, or, did you want someone to ramble away on the phone while you record-it and then write your story from an hour-long conversation?
    ----I would be looking for your personal stories about how you got involved in prepping, what it means to you, why you do it. I am especially interested in stories - the time you were lost in the woods, the time your survival gear saved your life. If you have an awesome/scary/whatever story, I want to hear it. One note -- I'd much rather do phone interviews (or in person interviews if anyone is in the Massachusetts area!) than online interviews. It's a general rule in journalism that phone interviews are better than internet interviews, and in person interviews are better than phone interviews.

Do you want to interview someone who is 17-years-old and just starting out with prepping (learning) or someone who has been at it for 40-years and knows alot, but, is still learning? Do you want to interview someone who has taught different levels of prepping or someone who has no experience in teaching?
    ---- I want to interview anyone who will talk to me. So far I've spoken to people who were just starting out and people who have been at it their whole lives and live entirely off the grid. If you want to talk to me, I want to talk to you. I want as many viewpoints as possible.

I hope that helps! And thanks so much for the prompt - I wouldn't even have thought to post this info if you hadn't suggested it. Thanks!

Evan
    ([email protected])

13. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Thanks NK I did get a couple of PM's from him, told him to read back posts and he'd know more then he would ever get otherwise .. he seems to think he has to have some person doing the talking... fine but like you I want to know more about who ,what, where, why... I've been misquoted by reporters who wanted to feed their POV, not learn the truth so to speak... I did go to the site he listed... wasn't much there to turn my crank...

14. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I've had a couple "talks" with reporters as well. Both times they were sniped and edited to turn what I said into something very different. I ended up calling a local TV station and threatened to sue them if they ran the edited version a second time. They did not. I'm done talking to media folks.

Nothing personal CJ. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from media people that want to tell my story only to tell their own by skipping over all the facts to make it more appealing to their reader's.

15. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

The media has a way of reporting that is not quite the truth and not quite the lie. What ever it takes to sensationalize the "news"and get more listeners. The general public in most cases doesn't want the real truth. I have found this out from talking with friends and family and have been told quite bluntly "I don't want to hear this.", "The government won't let that happen." and "You are anti-government." Sad but true. So we just keep on prepping and gathering any news and finiancial information we can and keep our mouths shut.

16. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

I checked the references Evan left and they seem to be balanced articles so I offered and gave an interview. We may have a friend here and I will treat them as such until experience dictates otherwise.

Lets face it...if the media thinks we're a bunch of secretive, crazy, paranoid wackos, a negative response certainly re-enforces that view (at least to this reporter). I'm not trying to minimize the negative experiences others have had but if a black man had not taken the time to tell me his experiences and how they made him a racist I'd have never seen the other side of the story. (And he had some good reasons for his hatred.) The thing is, if we're going to change people's hearts and minds we have to take risks.

17. CuriousJournalist

Thanks mosquitomountainman!!! It was awesome talking to you, thanks again so much!

And to everybody else - I totally understand your trepidation, I've heard it a lot. I know from reading published articles that coverage of you guys hasn't been particularly positive. But in the course of my reporting, I haven't met any crazy people or extremists - I've met some really kind, honest, and interesting people, and that's who will feature in my article. The great thing about writing for a college magazine is that I don't have to worry about pleasing my boss or the masses - I can just investigate stuff I think is cool and talk to lots of people about it. Every single person I've spoken to has made me reconsider everything I thought I knew about survivalism and prepping, so it's been a pretty awesome experience.

Anyways, thank all of you for your responses. I'd still love to talk to anyone who's interested, but if nobody is, that's cool too - it's been pretty neat to just poke around the forum.

Evan
    (Oh ps I know I have a guy's name but I'm actually a girl. Don't want to confuse people. Sorry!)