Interesting shift in weather forcast

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by SurviveNthrive, Oct 23, 2010.

1. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Yesterday there was a storm warning, severe winter storm, high winds, massive rain expected Saturday night. Some very dramatic terms involved in the warning. So bad some agencies did planning. This morning for my area...nothing.:eek:

What the heck?:confused:

Normally this is spot on.

So...

If you received word of an impending storm with high winds, heavy rain fall and it was going to hit tomorrow evening, what would your preps and steps be?

2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

wow, the SAME thing is happening here... weird

not worried in the slightest by localized infrastructure shutdowns do to weather, we're easily prepared for that

3. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Well, I figure the preps would be limited for me...

I might get the generator started up. We've been lucky for the last few years. Make sure that my battery/power packs are charged right. Check the yard for debris. Just because I didn't leave anything out doesn't mean that a neighbor or gardener didn't so I'd check that too.

4. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

When I lived in the Seattle area the weather guessers couldn't tell you what it was doing right then even if they went outside.
    Especially after Harry retired. RIP Harry.
    Every storm was the same over hype.
    All the cub reporters (Jim Forman)would be on camera in their heavy parkas with the station logo telling us how bad it was with almost 2 inches of snow.

The storms are still suppose to hit Western Washington and Oregon so you may get it yet.
    As far as prepping for the storm.
    Nothing different than any other time.
    The worst we had was 7 days with no power.
    The generator took care of that and the towns had power so everything was running like normal.

5. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I love winter storms!!! The bigger the better it is ... for snow on the ground and my winter-time sports!

6. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

It's been raining, with occassional lighter rain for some time now.

They got that right. Still raining now at 8:19 in the morning.

7. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

We have such a warning starting mid day here. Gona make sure everything is tied down, no loose stuff laying around. Also having extra water handy and setting up for power outage, have that ready anyway. Mostly waiting for it, the power loss is a real thing here as they are a crap load of tree's to fall on lines. In spite of a spring and summer long program to get them away from the lines. I know it will help some.

8. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

The weather is strange here today also. Hot wind all night 35-45mph and this morning no different, maybe it will bring us some much needed rain. I'm ready for fall.

9. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

They said it would snow here Tuesday. Seemed too warm, but...it's snowed all morning. They were right.

How come they're not right as often when they say it's going to be sunny and warm? :)

10. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

We had our snow yesterday and its still going today, but, the story is that it will be motorcycle weather again by Friday / Saturday :2thumb:

11. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

That big storm will be hitting us in about 50 minutes.

12. BuggingIn

BuggingIn Well-Known Member

Well, I could have told you it was going to pour all day Sunday - it was my BD and it ALWAYS seems to rain on my BD, lol. The rain gauge overflowed and all the totes and buckets under the barn drip lines are full of nice fresh rain water for the goats and for my laundry (wringer washer). It was nice to get a break from it all today, but the rain is supposed to be back tomorrow, just without the winds and not quite so torrential.

I just make sure I have plenty of wood inside for the stove, plenty of feed and water in front of the animals, and not too much stuff out to blow around. I always have freshly filtered (Berkey) water on hand, and I can cook on a campstove or the wood stove if the power goes out, kerosene lamps, candles, solar powered and battery powered flashlights for light, and plenty of books to read...bring it on. :)