Instant dry milk

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by bunkerbob, Jan 2, 2010.

1. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Found this today while looking for a source for instant milk for food storage...Costco - Emergency Food Supply Whey Milk
    50 - 5 serving pouches in plastic pail. 20 year shelf life, probably more.
    Great buy, Ebay wants $89.30 same one. Free shipping from Costco and they don't add premium for non-member.:dunno:
    My wife and I drink a lot of milk. I'll let you know how long it takes to get.:2thumb:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Another great link! Thanks Bob

Are you going to try it before you pack it away? If you do lets us know how it is. :beercheer:

3. bunkerbob

Yes I am going to try it for sure, trying to find the best one. One thing I know is that dry milk needs to be really cold and it helps if its made with well water, no chlorine, or chloramine as in city water, found this out years ago when I backpacked a lot, very cold stream or glacier water was the best.
    I also read somewhere that if you add canned evaporated milk to it it also helps, unfortunately it doesn't last as long.
    I'll have to also try some of the dry milk I have had stored for years, #10 cans, part of my first storage units, about 25-30 years old by now, started in the early 70's as most of you have gathered. I'll just repac it with oxy pacs and vacuum in glass.
    I think I told everyone that I just re-gassed the beef, chicken, and plain TVP, about a month ago, it tasted just fine, as TVP goes, no rancid taste.:2thumb:
    Here's a photo of the can rack from FIFO I just put together, and some of the food storage units, I don't think they make these anymore.

Attached Files:

4. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

If I were standing in a bunker door watching the fallout rain down and I looked back into the bunker and saw my survival guaranteed by all those cans of navy beans, I'd run outside naked and make "snow angels" in the fallout. :D

Of ciurse, that comment was made in fun, and in a survival scenario I'd be happy with a full belly whatever it came from, but the serious lesson is prep what you'd normally eat. That's mentioned a lot by the more serious folks, and this is why.

By the way, Bob...thanks for the pics. They're a goldmine for us newbies.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  5. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Nice find!

I keep some dry milk on hand but for the most part we use goats milk. (We have 4 nannies that keeps use in milk.)

6. Country Living

Country Living Supporting Member

The only milk we use is the milk alternative from Honeyville Grain. We tried one can and liked it so much we started buying it by the case. We use this milk in our everyday life - as we do most of the items we have in our long-range plan. One #10 can lasts us about three months since it's just the two of us.

The milk has a five year shelf life unopened and a one year shelf life opened. We order it by the case (six #10 cans to a case) and keep a minimum of two cases on hand at all times.

The only caveat is - and it is probably the same for all dried milk - you must store it in a glass container once it's mixed. I bought two little two-cup glass pitchers and they work just fine for our needs.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  7. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Didn't know about the glass container. Thanks.

8. bunkerbob

The milk is really good, just a hint of vanilla helps, used 4 cups ice cold water as they suggested to get creamer taste. Would recommend this highly. Mylar package well sealed, good instructions, even has shelf life according to storage temps.:2thumb::2thumb:
    I will test refrigerator spoilage time after mixing in glass container, should be about same as reg milk I would imagine.:dunno:

9. Rody

Rody Active Member

I do some trading with a fellow pipe smoker here in town. He lost his job some time back and now gets something called commodities, (I think that's how you spell it). He gets powdered milk in bags. I make a blend of tobacco and weigh it out so it comes out about the same as going to the store and buying powdered milk. He's over here every month to trade with me. I put the milk into mason jars and I'm not sure how much more I can take. It's something we rarely use ourselves and it's starting to pile up. I really don't know the shelf life of this stuff and if it wasn't for helping out a fellow pipe smoker down on his luck I would have stopped taking it already.

10. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

:gaah:We had powdered milk when I was in scouts, it was nasty to drink by itself!:gaah: The best way to use it is to let it sit over night in a cold place then ad it to something else. Should you desire to drink it pour it down fast and cold then chase it with something else.

11. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Agreed. I use it to cook with to keep it rotated.

12. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

Vanilla + dry milk = yum

If your family can't stand the taste of dry milk, it helps to add a touch of vanilla flavor to it. This is especially true of the cheaper brands I've tried. We usually mix it up in a blender, just enough to drink cold, then store enough in the fridge for only that day's use.

13. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Great suggestion Windsong, I'l do that if I ever have to drink it again, hopefully not. My nephew would prefer Chocolate milk.;)

14. Rody

Rody Active Member

Did a little research after I posted yesterday. Seems dry milk will store for a couple of years at best. Needs to be kept out of the light. Did some more searching and mixed up this:

Instant Potato Soup Gave it a try and it's not bad. Would make a great little something to take camping. At least I have a piratical use for the stuff now.

15. bunkerbob

Rody, your timeline on dry whey milk storage is a little off, read start of post. This and most dry whey milk is good for 25 years or more. I have some that is about 40 years old. I may just open some for you to try.
    Do your research. I think your referring to boxed on the shelf type dry milk.
    Or are you referring to the potato soup, if so sorry, for the snappy retort.
    By the way my wife and I are big milk drinkers, the one we just tried was so good that it didn't last for the in refer shelf test after mixing.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  16. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

Cookin' with Powdered Milk

Peggy Layton has a cookbook called Cookin' with Powdered Milk, loaded with all sorts of uses for the stuff.
    I have her Cookin' with Home Storage cookbook and use it often. Most of the ingredients are given in dehydrated and fresh measurements, so I can use fresh garden food or dehydrated food.

17. Rody

Rody Active Member

I was only refering to the stuff I trade for. Seems it has a very limited shelf life. I should have been more clear about that.

18. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

When we used to drink whole milk all the time, we could not stand the taste of the powdered milk. We switched to skim milk then went to the powdered. Now, we can drink the powdered with no problem. We also only make the days worth at a time using ice cold filtered water.

19. Freyadog

Freyadog Member

I also have Peggy's books. They are awesome. The book Cookin' with Home Storage is my kitchen Bible. If you have a question you can email her and she will answer you back.

Also guys and gals thanks for the heads up on the Whey milk. Gonna purchase some of it and give it a try.

20. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I'm going to have to try that.