Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to my son the other night (3rd Class Petty Officer in the Coast Guard) about the impending food shortages and financial collapse of the USA, as once known , and I depressed him (as with all the friends I share this information with) and with a long quiet moment he finally told me I need to stop! He agrees that all of what we discuss will happen but stop sharing this information with others. He belives what I say will happen! He commented to not dwell on the inevitable and live each day as if it was your last! Am I insane or prepared? Not sure?:nuts:

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you are insane then I am ten times more insane than you.....better to be insane than to go hungry.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think the definition of crazy is “repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome”. Insanity is that on steroids.

Would you drive across the country without a spare tire and a jack? I think not. You are prepared for a very rare occurrence today, a flat tire. I still won’t drive across the town without my spare tire. Insanity would be to head off care free and tire free. Because you have planned for various contingencies is not “insane” failure to plan is “Lunacy”.

I think the words the shrinks use is avoidance. If you refuse to face the future and the various problems that it will present what are the chances of a favorable outcome. Loonies don’t open their mail because there may be a bill in there. Fail to pay the bill long enough and you have no more credit. Avoiding the problem does not solve the problem, just ask any alcoholic, it just postpones the inevitable.

Your prepping is your “spare tire for life’s journey”. People that refuse to put a little aside are asking for trouble down the road. Do they: contribute to a 401 plan, have a savings account, go to college, find a date for the spring dance a month ahead of time? If the answer is no then what will be the outcome? Failure to plan is a recipe for failure.

When I was young (I think dinosaurs still roamed the earth) I failed to plan ahead for almost everything. Most situations had a very poor outcome. I had no dependants, cares or concerns. My philosophy was “easy come easy go”. This all changed, dramatically, when I held my first born in my arms. All of a sudden I talked to an investment manager, planned my future and started providing for my family. My oldest are in their thirties now (shhh…just barely) but I still feel the “need” to provide for them even though they are able to take care of themselves.

Relax, if you are insane you are with a lot of good friends here. For many people, sticking their head in the sand, is the way to make the “boogieman” go away. I have you figured out…..If there is a “boogieman” out there you already have the repellent (both aerosol and lotion …….probably with a skin soothing compound and high SPF factor). Prepare for the worst and lets hope it is not needed, much like our spare tires, most of the time.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
I was talking to my son the other night (3rd Class Petty Officer in the Coast Guard) about the impending food shortages and financial collapse of the USA, as once known , and I depressed him (as with all the friends I share this information with) and with a long quiet moment he finally told me I need to stop! He agrees that all of what we discuss will happen but stop sharing this information with others. He belives what I say will happen! He commented to not dwell on the inevitable and live each day as if it was your last! Am I insane or prepared? Not sure?:nuts:
Our kids are all middle aged and they don't want to hear gloom and doom either they pretty much live for today.My grown grandkids seem to accept things better sometimes,of course I don't talk about much to them though.
I kinda understand the younger generation,it must be bad to think that your life as you know is about to end in chaos.
i do feel bad for the college age young now especially how decieved many are,most of them voted or Obama!:eek:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
No, Rev, you are not insane.

As it relates to the prepper topic, I would define "insane" as:

Knowing the S will HTF, but you do nothing, so you are willing to allow yourself and your family to be herded into a FEMA camp (if you are one of the lucky sheeple).

Knowing the S will HTF, but you do nothing, so you are willing to watch your family shiver in the dark.

Knowing the S will HTF, but you do nothing, so you are willing to watch your family starve.

Knowing the S will HTF, but you do nothing, so you are willing to watch you family shake with terror as the zombies pound down your door.

Knowing the S will HTF, but you do nothing, so you are willing to watch as your wife and daughters are gang raped.

Knowing the S will HTF, but you do nothing, as the zombies slit your wife's and your daughter's throats as they laugh.

Then they turn to you.

THAT is insane, Rev.

Keep the faith.

·
Registered
72 Posts
if you are insane then i must be also .
i know food is going up so buying now is going to prove to be cheeper in the long run.

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
Not.

I wouldnt necessarily blame it on youth. Thinking that the S is gonna HTF is somewhat depressing. Everything you know is a lie. The foundations of your (economic) life are more fragile than you know. Its very scary. Knowing that everything you have worked for, the bs job you have had, all the crap you spend your money on could all be worthless. (not preps, I mean your average Joe's crap)
Its terrifying to think of. Try to see it from the perspective of someone who has never thought about it. Watching the news lately, now youre hearing that the US could default on its debt and it would be total chaos. Most people have enough calamity in their life that thinking that the worlds gonna end is one more thing they cant deal with.
Unfortunately for the most part we are branded as nutjobs. I can live with that. I have to remind the girl that I am doing this for us, not just me.
We just have to accept that most people will just never get it. If your loved ones think your nuts, what can you do?
Maybe just nudge him into at least having enough on hand for a few days. Katrina. Earthquakes. Tornadoes. Stuff happens. Better to be prepared, and not one of those wandering around in a daze, thinking "What am I gonna do now?"
Try to make him see that its not so bad, if youre prepared. If you are, then its not so daunting a prospect if the world goes to proverbial hell.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
He is your son, and you can have few of these conversations with him. I think he gets it and you probably do not need to or should have this conversation with him again. The same is true of your friends.

Have your conversations been brought back up to you? Have they had any affect on these people? I would say to you as politely as this sounds (and I know it doesn't) "Shut up."

My guess is if you are a prepper and have lots of food, they'll know where to go when TSHTF: Your house!

Some people don't want to think about the possibilities or even the truth. I have told people things, that were true, and they have said, "Oh please don't say that." What that says to me is they can't handle it. They want to live in their little happy world.

When the SHTF, there will be people like this who know it is not going to get better, or after it has been horrible for a while, who will just commit suicide. I personally know several people who are struggling, and in the last three days, one talked about it, another one tried it, and one accomplished it(a friend of a friend). I think this will continue amongst the people of the world and maybe some of us.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Well, Coasties are notoriously lazy . . . I know, because I was one.....:D

You would think that with the motto, "Semper Paratus" (Always Prepared), he would be a little more open to the concept! In recent memory and before 9/11, the USCG basically existed purely FOR scenarios where the shit has hit the fan; since 9/11 and becoming part of DHS, they have transititioned to a 50/50 mix of maritime law enforcement and rescue. In all seriousness, though, of the five services, the CG definitely has the biggest tendency to procrastinate; it takes longer to get things done in the CG than any branch with whom I have worked (and I've worked with them all!). Certainly not judging your son, as I do not know him, but it has been my experience that most Coasties do not have a pro-active mentality at all. So, it may be that he is just reacting as he has become accustomed to do so.

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Still waiting for the zombies.
1,596 Posts
Not insane.

More like people either don't want to hear it or will agree that something is going to happen but don't want to take the personal responsibility to do something to help themselves... either way it's easier to tell you you're nuts.

I'll bring up, if the conversation lends itself to the topic, how bad the economy is and/or soaring food prices and potential for lots more theft and crime and then see where the others go with it. Might also drop a hint like "Gee, what can you do top try to weather this?" and see if I get any takers. So far a few people who leaned toward the armory approach but not the food/supplies approach and a lot who just blew it off or had no answer. However I did find one who actually approached me and totally blew his opsec telling me all about what he was doing without first knowing if I was of a similar mind set. Basically someone who just woke up and was at the "go tell the whole world" phase. I adjusted his thinking (explained opsec, etc.) and we've since had some good conversations on stuff to get and things to learn.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
And he's in the Coast Guard with this kind of attitude?? Wow, makes me feel more secure!! NOT!
Not any reflection on you, RevWC..but still???

I always go back to that faith statement:
Don't ask God to guide your footsteps if you ain't gonna use your feet!!!
NUFF SAID.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
LISTEN TO THIS>>>oh, sorry, read this.
My neighbor has ridiculed me and made fun for months....yesterday, AFTER the ss check came, I saw them unloading cases of veggies???(now, this could have been cardboard box with 12 different cans, but I doubt it)...and then...she called trying to get me to feel sorry for her and GIVE her my buckets, etc??? you know, the ones I drove 21 miles to get and begged her to go and acquire??
Well, she had 3 boxes of oats and I told her to leave them in the boxes.
Then, she asked if I'd buy for her a drum when we go to Lexington Containers, 200 miles away, and I said no, because to get a discount, you need to buy 6 and our truck will only hold that--we hope.:dunno:
So, see??? I did make a difference.
I'm a christian, not a door mat to be used. She has had the same opportunities to store in the last 3 years I have had. She shops at same stores, watches same news(I don't, use internet...no tv here)
happy christian day...JayJay

Note: I think she finally realized she can't eat those flowers, mulch, and gravel in that
bee--you--tee--ful yard??

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, Coasties are notoriously lazy . . . I know, because I was one.....:D
Copy that but not all! My son joined the USCG at 18 and was stationed in Hawaii on a buoy tender, traveled the Pacific and learned what hard work really is! He called me and said his hands would never be the same from scraping barnacles off of buoys, to grinding and painting the ship daily, to standing 16 hour watches while at sea. Now he is an IT guy working at headquarters. "Semper Paratus"

And he's in the Coast Guard with this kind of attitude?? Wow, makes me feel more secure!! NOT!
Not any reflection on you, RevWC..but still???

I always go back to that faith statement:
Don't ask God to guide your footsteps if you ain't gonna use your feet!!!
NUFF SAID.
Son is only 22 and recently married so not exactly where we are, but apples don't fall far from the tree. When SHTF son will shine...

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Copy that but not all! My son joined the USCG at 18 and was stationed in Hawaii on a buoy tender, traveled the Pacific and learned what hard work really is! He called me and said his hands would never be the same from scraping barnacles off of buoys, to grinding and painting the ship daily, to standing 16 hour watches while at sea. Now he is an IT guy working at headquarters. "Semper Paratus"

Son is only 22 and recently married so not exactly where we are, but apples don't fall far from the tree. When SHTF son will shine...
Noted and recorded..10-4!!:2thumb:

·
Registered
252 Posts
No, Rev, you are not insane.

As it relates to the prepper topic, I would define "insane" as:

Knowing the S will HTF, but you do nothing, so you are willing to allow yourself and your family to be herded into a FEMA camp (if you are one of the lucky sheeple).

Knowing the S will HTF, but you do nothing, so you are willing to watch your family shiver in the dark.

Knowing the S will HTF, but you do nothing, so you are willing to watch your family starve.

Knowing the S will HTF, but you do nothing, so you are willing to watch you family shake with terror as the zombies pound down your door.

Knowing the S will HTF, but you do nothing, so you are willing to watch as your wife and daughters are gang raped.

Knowing the S will HTF, but you do nothing, as the zombies slit your wife's and your daughter's throats as they laugh.

Then they turn to you.

THAT is insane, Rev.

Keep the faith.
Absolutely Right! :congrat:

·
Texas!!!
1,529 Posts
It could be that HE is not in a situation to make any preparations so he is just going to live out his days as best he can. My son is in the military and deployed to Iraq. He can't do anything about it so he tries not to dwell on the inevitable.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts