Indonesia Tsunami Death Toll Hits 272

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by RoadRash, Oct 27, 2010.

1. RoadRash

RoadRash Member

At least 272 people are dead and more than 400 are missing after a tsunami swept through a string of remote Indonesian islands, a local official says.

Indonesia Tsunami Death Toll Hits 272

2. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Those poor people have really gotten it again. Right on the tail of an earthquake and tsunami, the volcano erupted.

That's a lot to deal with at once.

3. thunderdan19

thunderdan19 Shoots to Thrill

Believe me, having been to Jakarta twice, there wasn't a night I went to bed or morning I woke up while there that I didn't wonder if there would be a major earthquake or tsunami that day. Indonesia seems to get major disaster activity about once a quarter. Thankfully, Jakarta is on the other side of the country (islands) where it is protected by the land mass from the major quake zones. But it was easy to imagine the tall hotels swaying and water rolling in from the coast...

We actually did an overnight on a dinky island off the coast about an hour and a half by powerboat from Jakarta. Don't think I didn't scope out the palm trees and the roof of our cabins just in case...

Ironically, the major volcano erupting during my last visit there was in Iceland.

4. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

At least it wasn't nearly what they had back in 2004. :eek:

5. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

amen to that.