Indiana Sherrif: We Will Search Your House and Go Door to Door

Discussion in 'Politics' started by IrritatedWithUS, May 20, 2011.

1. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

CROWN POINT, Ind. – According to Newton County Sheriff, Don Hartman Sr., random house to house searches are now possible and could be helpful following the Barnes v. STATE of INDIANA Supreme Court ruling issued on May 12th, 2011. When asked three separate times due to the astounding callousness as it relates to trampling the inherent natural rights of Americans, he emphatically indicated that he would use random house to house checks, adding he felt people will welcome random searches if it means capturing a criminal.

Speaking under the condition of anonymity, a local city Police Chief with 30 years experience in law enforcement directly contradicted the Newton County Sheriff’s blatant disregard for privacy & liberty, stating that as an American first, such an action is unconscionable and that his allegiance is to the Indiana and federal Constitutions respectively. However, he also concurred that the ruling does now allow for police to randomly search homes should a department be under order by state or federal officials or under a department’s own accord.

At this time we are still awaiting comments from several state offices.

However, the spokesperson for the INDIANA ATTORNEY GENERAL took umbrage at what he referred to as “large” assumptions regarding police power and at this time has no comment. He did however indicate that should the INDIANA Attorney General, Greg Zoeller feel it necessary to make a statement, that this reporter would be included in the distribution of the release.

Source(s): Indiana Supreme Court Ruling, BARNES vs. STATE of INDIANA No. 82S05-1007-CR-343 • Telephone interview for comment with Newton County Sheriff Don Hartman Sr., May 16th, 2011

2. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Those fascist LEOs and the gubmint keep pushing and pushing.......Americans are going to start pushing back no matter what the Indiana Black Robes say.

My God! How did we allow them to trash the Constitution?!

3. IrritatedWithUS

i firmly believe all the people elected into office aren't elected by the voters. They are elected by the people in office. It's a sham. Everybody has been picked out previously and it's a pretty illusion that The People get to "vote". It's never counted. It's all fake numbers, smoke, and mirrors.
    I didn't use to think this.

4. twiggie

twiggie The end is extremely nigh

Security in exchange for liberty. What ever happened to the Fourth Amendment? I think I'd rather keep my liberties and privacy and provide my own security as needed.

5. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

It will continue as long as we sit and bi**h whine moan and complain. It will stop when we do something about it!!

6. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

Fourth Amendment?

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers,
    and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be
    violated; and no Warrants shall issue but upon probable cause, supported
    by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be
    searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

7. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Wait till the lawsuits start, gonna cost that state lots a money an maybe a few law officers ta boot. Ya ain't just walkin in my home cause yall got a badge.

More en likely a test ta see just what they can get away with.

8. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Post of the day! :D

9. Davo45

Davo45 New here

+1

*Copied from an earlier post: Speaking under the condition of anonymity, a local city Police Chief with 30 years experience in law enforcement directly contradicted the Newton County Sheriff’s blatant disregard for privacy & liberty, stating that as an American first, such an action is unconscionable and that his allegiance is to the Indiana and federal Constitutions respectively.

I agree with THIS part of what the old chief said. I usually believe in giving other LEOs the benefit of the doubt, but the Sheriff quoted in the original post doesn't deserve any such benefit.

I know I'd be hunting another job in another state IF I was ordered to obey an order to conduct random door-to-door searches, or random searches of even 1/1,000 homes "just to see, if I could catch a criminal, find something illegal, etc" Unbelievable. I feel like I'm living in another country when I see news like this.

You know, it wouldn't bother me one bit if the world did come to and end tomorrow, but I'm afraid it won't....things aren't bad enough yet, but I believe they are coming our way. Stories like this one just strengthen that belief. :(

10. IrritatedWithUS

You know how many letters and phone calls I have written and called in the past 2 years???? DOZENS!!!!!!

11. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

I meant no affiance and applaud your efforts. But how many people make calls or wright letters? Not many I would wager. And thats why we call them sheepple because they sit around and do nothing saying well they are the government they must be right.

12. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

This 'ruling' seems perfectly in synch with the Liberal Governments idea that we are ALL guilty of SOMETHING criminal. They likely figure if they barge into our homes, they are likely to find something they can use against us. :mad:

13. Journey

Journey Junior Member

Interesting comment. Up here, at least to us it seems to be something more likely for the Conservatives to be doing. Hmm. Very creepy though.

14. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Right or left, conservative or liberal, it doesn't seem to matter. The craziness is all around us. Trust is gone, corruption is rampant, morals are viewed as a threat to the agenda. There are some days you just wish TSWHTF.

Our fireman son has decided to go to the police academy and get on the county sheriff's department (hopefully), to add one more decent constitution-upholding LEO to our area. Thankfully, most of ours already are.

15. power

power ExCommunicated

The main reason things like this is allowed to happen is because the people who are affected choose to argue about what party is in power and not worry about what their chosen party decides to do.
    We will continue to see things like this happen as long as people decide their party is always right and the other party is to blame.

If you are elected to a job you are not a different party. They are the same, just describe and call themselves something different to get elected. There is no difference.

16. Immolatus

Immolatus Just getting started. Always.

Pfft. What kind of claptrap is this?
    :D
    I would hope that random=unreasonable.
    Unreal that this guy would even say this. Lets hope he doesnt get reelected, and then gets his own house randomly searched.

17. CulexPipiens

CulexPipiens Still waiting for the zombies.

It's probably already happening in more places, just under a different disguise. Case in point, the family that lives next door to my parents... Father has cancer, mother takes care of the kids. Eldest son rides his bike 15 miles each way through some rough areas to attend school where he's in very early pre-med. Wants to become a doctor and work on cancer treatment/cures. A very nice and upstanding family.

Someone anonymously tells the local police that they have drugs in the house. Police raid the place at 2am and for all practical purposes ransack/destroy it trying to find the drugs. They never found anything. My parents were awoken by the noise and flashing lights and such. In talking with the neighbors afterwards they found out that this is a fairly common occurance in their city. Enough times the police do find something that they consider the "prank tips" ones to still be justified just in case it turns out not to be a prank.

BTW, since the father came down with cancer he has not been allowed back to his job and they are now about to go into foreclosure. On the good news the son was able to get a very small (and affordable to him) apartment close to school. Then the other shoe drops. He had all his stuff there when 2 months later a neighbor's apartment fire results in the whole building and all of his stuff getting destroyed. Laptop for school work. $1000+ in text books for classes, etc.

18. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

Perhaps folks are different in Indiana but don't the LEO worry about their physical safety/life while attempting to execute a warrantless random search on someone's home? Hazardous duty pay would definately be warranted in these parts.

19. worldengineer

worldengineer Well-Known Member

Well no one will stand up until their is a large enough group to pose an accountable threat.

George Washington himself set up the "votes don't count" it was a way to prevent mob rule.

20. stayingthegame

stayingthegame Well-Known Member

freedom vs security

security is what we all want. To feel safe in our homes and cities. The trouble comes when we expect the government to do it all and then give them the POWER to keep us "safe". As Ben Franklin said " those who give up freedom for security shall have neither.