In search of close neighbors to form group

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by gunny, Sep 24, 2010.

1. gunny

gunny Member

As a Nam Vet, I know what combat is. Your enemy has one thing in mind and we all know what that is. I live in a city with a majority of immigrants. A lot of the older citizens have either moved elsewhere or passed on. I live in what was once considered a nice neighborhood. Now it's full of bad gangs, druggies and prostitutes.
    I cannot leave my vehicles on the street any longer. They have been keyed several times and neghbors across the street have been vandalized. Get the picture folks? It's not going to be a pretty picture here when the SHTF.

For the last year I have been looking at rural land in northern maine. I am still looking but have not found what I am really searching for in my price range.
    It would be nice to find like minded honest folks to share the costs with but I may end up going it alone. How much can you really trust someone in such a dealing? You would have to know them for at least a year or two and do we have that long? Your guess is as good as mine. Crisis may not happen in my lifetime (60 yrs old) but it will happen. So this is what I am contemplating.

I am trying to put together a group of like minded folks who live in my area to form a survival group. Ideally I am looking for: doctors, electricians, a few guys like MacGyver the tv show, combat vets especially young vets with urban close quarters battle experience and people of other skills. You get the picture. We may all end up dead anyhow but I will not go down without a fight. I am new to this survivor group thing but not new to surviving. Unfortunately mine was in a jungle. Urban survival is something totally different and I need advice and help in forming such a group. In the event of a crisis or disaster the plan would be for the group activate immediately with all necessary supplies, duke it out with the gangs and morons and ultimately head north to sanctuary. I understand that eventually we may be discovered and all out war may take place. Hopefully other neighbors up there would join in and form a small community to defend our loved ones from the terrors of evil. It will be like the law of the jungle...."Eat or be Eaten." This is why I wish to get a piece of land, build a structure that has an underground supply cellar for food and supplies. I plan on having a well for water but that's it! We'll be living like they did 150 years ago and quite frankly... I won't mind it a bit. I love the outdoors and roughing it up. The heck with bills and taxes and cell phones. America did quite well without all the technology.

I remember the first time I saw the movies; omega man and soylent green. They were really far out and never really gave it too much thought. Now they are not as far fetched as I once thought they were.

Thanks for your patience in reading and invite any and all to give me pointers and suggestions as well as criticisms. Hopefully I have not upset or singled out anyone here.

Gunny.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

"Thanks for your patience in reading and invite any and all to give me pointers and suggestions as well as criticisms."

No offence intended, honestly, but you might want to get to know the folks you are trying to recruit. This being your first post on the board, many will be leery of a response.

BTW :welcome:

3. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Friends would be the key word here. Setting up a MAG (Mutual Aid Group) is something that needs to be done slowly and with care not to alienate those friends. Through talking with neighbors, you may find that you have the beginnings of a MAG. One of our members here on the board was looking at buying a vehicle from a neighbor and found out that the neighbor was a prepper / survivalist as well.

A loosely formed MAG works better than creating a "community" in the middle of the mountains or the middle of the desert. You need to allow each portion of the group to control their lives with the understanding that they will work together when the time comes.

I have a loosely formed MAG right now - like-minded-friends who are all hunters, fishers and extreme-backcountry-fans. I am not the leader, and, I am not the follower. We are all equals in the friendship. We gather together for many reasons, birthdays, camping, hunting, fishing - friends to the end.

If you want to setup a MAG - either start a club or join one that specializes in backcountry-skills. Alpine (skiing), hunting, fishing, off-roading / quading, etc. You will build friendships and through those, your MAG will become self-sustaining.

4. gunny

gunny Member

You're absolutely correct. The unfortunate thing is that most people I know are Liberals, they don't believe in anything I believe in let alone doomsday and firearms. They live in la la land or fantasy land. They don't even want to hear anything negative or anything that relates to crisis or pandemonium. I live in MA, one of the most liberal states in the union.
    Further more, I am a symphony musician surrounded by liberal folks...these people are colleagues not friends. Most of my friends have moved far away. It will be hard for us to form something like a MAG group as suggested. Thanks for your input.

5. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

You might want to look for a different type of folks. I'd be buddying up to people who are selling things (or even shopping) at Farmer's markets, people who know about growing food. Maybe meet people who are living off-grid. Look for "greenie" mentality people and form friendships. Even if they don't have a survivalist/prepper outlook, they know how to be independent and self-sufficient, to an extent. They probably know how to fix about anything, can think out of the box, and aren't afraid of hard work. Some might be closet preppers or just be aware that something might be coming down the pike.

Even if they aren't, they might be trustworthy people who would be good allies if the SHTF. If nothing else in your area seems likely, at least it's a place to start. And hiding behind being a greenie, or being someone who wants to manage your money better, or eat healthier by buying organic veggies, is a good front.

Who knows who you'll meet when you know someone enough to get past the cover.

6. Asatrur

Asatrur Well-Known Member

Good advice GS. It turns out someone I worked with someone who outed me to myself as a prepper since I already was a gardener, food preserver, etc.

7. survivalguy

survivalguy Member

my dads a nam vet brother in law was in afganistan and we seen this coming for a while we have already started a compound of sorts, he has rentals all around the edges of his 80 acres if the SHTF they the renters that are not with us will have to go. the main houses in the center with the barn wells garden ect. we are also looking for some that have the skills we need we have 4 families right now but could take on a few more but they need to have their own supplies there is not a leader here everyone will have their own place and live their own lives we just need the eyes ears and fire power to keep us as a whole and our food ect safe

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  8. mricci86

mricci86 Member

There is safety in number! However, you need to remember the trust issue. I currently have a small group of individuals I trust because they are family. It may be to risky to allow folks to just meet up afterward. We have 4 team members (all cousins) and have mentioned to other close friends we have about forming up in such a situation. I am prior USMC and currently work intelligence for the military, one cousin a cop, one a mechanic, and one a computer guy although post shtf his skill wont be very useful. I suggest forming small groups now of trustworthy people. Assign duties and meet one a month or so. Each meeting we discuss basic first aid, survival skills, small unit tactics, and the "plan" we would carry out.
    I'm new to the forum here and this is my first post but I like to research and provide knowledge I have acquired. I attended a number of military survival schools to include SERE and I'm an avid hunter, camper, shooter, all around outdoorsman.

9. mricci86

mricci86 Member

BTW, we are in the Central MD area mostly around Baltimore. We plan to monitor CB channel 6, anyone in the area is invited to attempt to meet up post whatever. Our biggest concern is the sheer number of people in our area. City= more people=more issues. Our first plan was to head to WV but think about it. You don't want to travel right away to an unfamiliar place. Sorry to say but there are probably some pretty serious hunters out there that are better shots than me..think they would see us coming from 500yds away? You don't know what their intentions may be. I would suggest a familiar place to hole up for a while. Even if it is somewhere near a big city.

10. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Just remember guys too much familiarity breeds contempt, even in families. Under stressful conditions you are sure to fray some nerves. Number one to remember, to get through any situation you have to pull together for the benefit of all. I speak from experience. Had our son, his wife and 4 children with us for what was to be a few days, while they looked for a place to live. Turned in to 8 months. I love them dearly but that was a challenge. We were so use to the peace and quite of just the 2 of us.

11. gunny

gunny Member

Thank you Clarice for sharing that information with us. I'm sure that under much different conditions and you and I both know what conditions I'm talking about, the challenge you mentioned would be quite different when the challenge of life or death hangs over your heads. Everyone will pull together. But as we are all human beings and very imperfect ones at that, there will always be tensions and disagreements. We will all have to look at the bigger picture and move on. Even the apostle Paul said to the Corinthian congregation:
    "Keep putting up with one another".
    He must have known what he was talking about don't you think?

Semper Fi

12. mricci86

mricci86 Member

HAHA! I agree with that. There are times now where it gets too crowded.

13. fobhomestead

fobhomestead Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, MrICCI. Careful with the :tmi: stuff... "In God we trust. All others we monitor". Anyway, can any of you guys grow a garden? I am only asking because I can get tunnel vision as well... and the ... skills ... we learn in the military are not always the be all, end all of a survival situation.

It is great we can all hit our target, but the reality is if I dont know what wintering over carrots means, or how to plant wheat in the fall to winter over.. then I am not really prepared. If I dont have a goat or cow, we dont have milk. Or cheese. Or ICE CREAM :eek: We can hunt for our meat. True. I don't know about you, but I am not interested in being on the Atkins diet (meat only) if :shtf: so I am very interested in learning how to garden.. and milk a goat! I am learning that now... :gaah: it is not as easy as I would have thought!!
    Do you know how to make soap? Build a battery house for solar or wind power? Heat a home on wood... which trees to cut and which are not worth burning? Just throwing out ideas.
    Welcome to prepping.

14. mricci86

mricci86 Member

Thanks fob. Yeah I know where the boundaries lie as to what I can and will speak about on here or anywhere else for that matter.

In regards to farming; I don't know too much but I imagine gathering a few small books on various subjects (farming, basic construction, preserving food) would come in handy if just glanced over once or twice and set aside just in case. Like most of us I have far too many hobbies to be an expert on every one so I give and take what time I allot to certain skills.

15. gunny

gunny Member

Response to mricci86

I live in a city already in financial trouble with police and firefighters laid off and firestations closed down. The city is a mess and getting worse by the day. I have a lady friend of 62 and her 88 year old mother that will depend on me, a son and his family who are a 15 minutes away and a sister with her son in NH. My plan is to evac to my place in ME. Have a 22 acre lot in mind. Way far out. Land is fertile and plenty of woods for firewood. Plan on drilling a well for water. ME has more lakes per sq mile than any other state = plenty of fish unless we are hit with a nuc bomb under nuc. fallout then none of it will matter any more.

16. fobhomestead

fobhomestead Well-Known Member

No worries, MrIC. I would highly suggest grabbing those books... then wherever you are, just try doing a few of the things in the books (same with you, Gunny).

:soapbox2:

Take canning, for example. I have the book. OMG!!! Did you know that you have two reliable methods of canning and it depends on the acidity level of the food on which one you use? And you need a special steam pot for the low acidic foods... and the spacing in the jars (how high you fill it) needs to be at specific levels for different foods... and there cannot be any air in the food so you have to do something with some tool to make sure it is packed right... and all sorts of other crap... that I never knew about canning. I haven't tried it yet. But I do know one thing... I do NOT want to be learning how to do this crap when :shtf: and the stores are out of food, power is out, and people who thought they were prepared really find out that they are not as well as all of the zombies who cannot even put together what FOX (and a very few MSM channels now) are trying to tell them!

Right now, I am learning about basic construction... and something as simple as tying knots. I wont be able to go to my local Ace and get 2x4's ... so I am learning how to make fence posts out of trees. And pole barns. What do we do when there are no nails??? Or screws? How do I build to make sure the weight from 6 feet of snow wont collapse my building?

SO, I am just trying to help out. You have 4 people who can be learning different things. The soil composition where you are at is important. You said you hunt... go hunt... plant foods that will grow wild in your area and is in a very secluded place (hey, criminals do that all the time with pot, so why can't we do that with carrots?). Only you guys will know about it and if the animals happen to find and eat it, well.... carrots/elk meat... it's all good. If you have to stay in the city... that is different. You can grow potatoes in tires... look it up. ;)
    One last thing, (sorry if I am still on my soapbox) is that hobbies are a great thing; however, if they wont keep you fed, safe, and healthy then they can probably be replaced with something that will.

Sorry if it feels like I am :club: you... I just do not want to see a fellow IC person head down the wrong path. One other thing you will have to worry about is your employer in a :shtf: scenario. You cannot reasonably expect to just be able to "clock out" and go home... Good luck, bro. :goodluck:

And with that, I will :soapboxzipper: and give you :beercheer: and a :thankyou: for everything you "don't do".
    Cheers.

17. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

Well one thing for sure, i will not count on any family to be nothing but unproductive pests. I would like to hook up with a few like minded folks and if nothing else have a sorta, contact group to check up on each other and help when it can be done. Most folk in this area are very independent and keep any prepping under the table. I can fully understand this but to go it 100% alone will be a rough ride. I plan on a radio in the future soon, so info hopefully can be gathered and contact be established. I think that's why it would be better to meet a few in your general area first before it would be a blind contact. After the fact. Southeast Kentucky is a very vast area to get around in, unless ya used to climbing a hill or two. I would think the roads would not be the place to travel in an event. :)

18. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Regarding the above posts about having books to help learn how to do these things, that is a better plan than having nothing, but...

all the books in the world won't produce a canner, jars, lids, and rings for canning what you can grow, for example.

It might be necessary to barter with trusted people to get the things you still need. When the stored food runs out and you're living on what you can produce or procure, it's a much bigger job than most people realize.

Unfortunately there are also going to be a lot of people who don't want to pull their weight and do their share of the work.

19. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

That's a fact!
    Monday morning I picked up 1/2 bushel of pears. I spent the entire day peeling coring, slicing and finally canning and drying that basket of fruit. Yield; 13 quarts canned and 1 quart baggie of dried. It is a lot of work and I'm going to do it again tomorrow. :)
    I feel it is absolutely imperative to know how to do these things before you need to rely on them to feed yourself.

20. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I spend hours and hours this time of year peeling and slicing and chopping everything that stays still long enough for my knife to hit! In my sleep I'm still chopping onions! lol

Good idea to have extra peelers and knives in your preps. If you end up with extra hands in your household/group, that's more 'tools' available to get the work done faster.

Mmmmm, pears! Sounds good, UncleJoe! That'll be some good eating later on!

We picked the first-ever apples this year from the trees we planted as little sticks 6 years ago!