I'm thinking this is the place I've been searching for...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by char1, Dec 17, 2009.

1. char1

char1 Guest

I'm new... actually I found you by searching kerosene versus propane (I'm looking into adding a couple propane heaters in case of another ice storm or whatever) & I'm so thankful I did.

I'm been asked by people if I'm trying to get off the grid. People don't get me but all I want is for my family to have what we need. Like I tell my husband, I just want to start moving back to the way people used to live... back to work hard & grow what you can.

We live on 11 acres & 1/2 a mile from a lake. My handicapped 16 yr old raises chickens for eggs. My 15 yr old raises a few head of cattle for meat (haven't processed one yet) & he & my husband are deer hunters & love to fish. We have a 5 & 3 yr old & now that they are older I want to start gardening again.

My mom has even made fun of me(lightheartedly) for my stocking up on groceries.

Long story short.... I hope this is the place that I've been searching for to help me start reaching some of my goals for my family.

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

:wave: You've come to the right place. You couldn't ask for a more friendly and helpful group of people. :welcome:

3. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

WELCOME,char1, from a long time preparer. Look forward to your replies and posts. The people my wife works with jokingly refer to her and I as terrorists because we live off the grid.:dunno:

4. char1

char1 Guest

Thank you both, UncleJoe & bunkerbob! I kind of feel like a freshman.. a little out of place & not sure where to go. Please don't think I'm stupid but what does off the grid really mean? I always thought it meant being completely self reliant.. ex. no electric or water bill or anything.

5. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

You are right, I have a water well, make my own power, have a large organic garden, fruit trees, chickens and even a cow. You can see here some of what I have...bunkerbob

6. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Off-the-grid means different things to different people.

For some people, OTG means to be 100% self-reliant where visiting a store for supplies almost equals a sin. You will rarely find those people on forums - as it is just another tie to the grid. You might meet some OTG'ers who have shunned virtually all contact with the "gridders" in the titles of mountain-man, homeless, boon-dockers, etc.

For most of the rest, OTG is somewhere between those two levels - stores to supply what they cannot supply themselves, some connection to the outside-world (phones, internet, TV), a place to call home with some convience-items and willing to pay taxes and have bank-accounts.

I believe that BunkerBob has found a great balance between being 100% OTG and 100% GridTied .. you should take some time to see the pictures of what he has accomplished, just amazing.

7. Country Living

Country Living Supporting Member

Welcome, Char. I worked in disaster preparedness on the corporate level for years. It was an easy move to create a plan for our ranch. As with any plan, we constantly review it and tweak it as needed.

I came to this forum to share ideas and to hopefully get a bit smarter on what we're already doing in preparedness.

8. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Char1, I think youve found the right place. When you can't find an answer just ask a question. ;)

9. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Welcome I hope were all you need us to be.

10. questor

questor Well-Known Member

Howdy, I'm new here, myself. Nice people here . . .really nice.
    Helpful, informative and sharing. Damn good group or people.
    you'll enjoy it.

11. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Hello & Welcome. :wave:

12. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Post away, Char1. We're happy to have you as a member. Sounds like you have a house full of kids. We have one toddler and we run around like nuts trying to keep up with him. :)

13. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

AHHHHHHHHHH :eek:

14. questor

questor Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by questor View Post
    Nice people here . . .really nice.
    Helpful, informative and sharing. Damn good group or people.

Quote:
    Orginally posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    AHHHHHHHHHH

now . . .
    can I borrow 5 bucks ???