I'm Storing Water-Don't Laugh at Me.

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Idaholady, May 5, 2011.

1. Idaholady

Idaholady Member

I've been storing some 5-gal bottles of water in our basement. My DH thinks I'm silly. He doesn't believe in any kind of preparedness. SO, today, while he's in the orchard, he managed to break a main water valve....just great...no water for the house for 12-24 hours.

Now who's silly??? That is what emergency preparedness is all about. Being prepped for any kind of emergency...large or small.

Would someone smack my DH in the back of the head? :D

2. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

NOT silly.

My water preps:
    10 each - 5 gallon jugs ("cooler" size) of bottled water from store, plus 3 pumps
    6 each - 55 gallon drums full of tap water
    2 each - 275 gallon "totes" full of rain water
    several Berkey style ceramic filter elements

Materials to build a BioSand filter (not yet assembled, and need more sand)
    4 each - Brita and PUR pichers and fridge containers (given 2 us 4 free) but only three replacement cartriges :(
    12 each - inline fridge/icemaker filters

Several bags and buckets of 53% Pool shok

3. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

I only have 11 gallons of water stored. I need to up my water storage :)

4. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

There. I just gave your DH a mental thunk. ;)

Storing water is so NOT silly. What's silly is people who think being prepared is silly. I tend to couch all my comments to my DH (who's not a prepper, like yours) with a reference to being self-sufficient, or independent. Anything we can do that makes us less dependent on someone else's help in case the power goes out, or this, or that, etc. He likes being self-sufficient, so he seems to respond to that better than to refer to it as prepping.

With all the rain we've been having, it was driving me CRAZY not to capture it. I found a nearby source on craigslist that sells used food-grade 55 gallon drums for a couple bucks (they had flavorings like cherry, peach, amaretto in them) - I've been picking those up, cleaning them out, and collecting some of all this rainwater. I figure we'll come up with a way to filter it later - at least for now it's captured.

5. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

this is for kids, but it has some good information, just ignore the spin

(ie. low-flush toilets are good ~ FACT: they absolutely suck & end up using more water because they have to be flushed more often)

Water Science for Schools: Water questions and answers: Water use at home

Average Water Use Per Person Per Day

I think these datasets are including commercial/industrial usage as well, thereby skewing the results...

6. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

* SMACK* your dear husband ;D:p

7. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

Atta girl!!:congrat:

I store 2 of the big totes 275 gal with rainwater
    10 5 gal bucket/bottles of water.
    over 600 bottles of store bought water
    gosh don't know how many 1.5 gal bleach bottles of water
    and same for 1 gal orange juice bottles. maybe 50 total.

Can't store enough.

Jimmy

8. ra5451

ra5451 Well-Known Member

OHHHH....I thought DH ment Dumb Husband :D

9. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

at my house...well, you know!!!:eek:

10. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

We store water, ain't nothin wrong with that. 2 years ago we had a 500 year flood, didn't have water fer over 5 days an when it did come back ya couldn't drink it fer another 3.

Took the motorhome ta the wifes work an filled it with water so we had a shower an bathroom. Used storage water fer the rest.

Just don't let the better half have any water, he'll catch on.

11. Idaholady

Idaholady Member

DH?? LOL I hadn't thought it could also mean 'dumb husband,' but it kinda suits him. He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, or the brightest star...etc, etc. LOL don't mean to put him down, but he just doesn't get it....sorry to say. I think he has a little Asperber's Syndrome going on too....

I do all the prepping around here and get yelled at every so often about it. Thats okay, after I get yelled at, I wait a while, then go back to doing more.... :)

Oh, and I have a tank on the side patio that is currently holding several hundred gallons of water. It looks downright ugly; I tried to spray paint it to blend in with the foliage. I used it today to fill a pail for use in the bathroom....so I get the 'last laugh' here........

Just wait until he comes in to take a shower! LOL We are creatures of habit; I can't tell you how many times I've tried today to turn the water on in the kitchen ......duh....

12. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

:lolsmash: :ignore:

Good for you, IdahoLady! I love hearing stories like that, where simple preps like that end up coming in handy! Heck, more than handy...essential!!! :congrat:

13. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Some times it just takes a little 'problem' for the lights to come on for some folk. :idea: lol

And thanks for the smile! :) And keep on prepping ...:2thumb:

14. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I just received an email of the top ten tips of the month from some site???

One tip was what to do with gallon jugs???:scratch

Mine go for holding water--fruit jugs, milk jugs, buttermilk jugs, bleach jugs, cleaner jugs.....no jug in this house is thrown away---and I've collected quite a few and no complaints around here...I have an understanding dh...that's darling on this day...:congrat: may be something different tomorrow!!!!:rolleyes:

I think I have been given the 'official prepper' badge ---now how did that happen??:dunno:

15. jnrdesertrats

jnrdesertrats Noob

We are on a small water company 20 homes or so. It is run by some people that are less than honest in my opinion. Last month they shut our water off over a billing dispute several years old, even tho I was current on my bill.

They thought I was nuts when I started laughing and said I have been wanting to try my new solar shower and porta potti. I told them we were gonna shut off the power ourselves and check out our lamp situation also.

After 2 weeks and a lawyer we got our water back on, they did not get the shock and awe they had hoped for to say the least.

16. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

I have nothing but water under our king size bed. I have one closet full. About a month ago someone broke the main water line from town. Repairs took a while. We were the only ones in our little community to have water. Prepare for the worst and Pray for the best.

17. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

Make sure the milk jugs don't see any sunlight. Milk jugs are now designed to break down in 6-12 months if exposed to much sunlight at all.

I learned the hard way. Glad it was just water I lost and no big issues going on.

Jimmy

18. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've read that...I have lots of milk jugs with water...started about two years ago...only break down was from the commercial bottled water from stores(no longer buy those since receiving my Berkey)...and I check every day or so since they are in the empty bedroom with my supplies and canned goods.
    I chose this room because it is the least likely to get sun and a large walk-in closet was nice for canned goods too.

I also have an 8 X 8 pantry with no windows I can use for the water, but would rather use for my canned goods...IF I CAN AFFORD THE PRODUCE TO GO IN THEM!!!:eek:

19. Davo45

Davo45 New here

+1

Amen to that, there's nothing like doing without to educate people about preparing for bad things to happen. There has been more than a few liberal gun control advocates do a complete 180% circle and become pro-gun rights advocate after being robbed, mugged, etc.

20. Immolatus

Immolatus Just getting started. Always.

I wouldnt laugh at someone storing water!

I was wondering about storing it in random jugs that are unsealed. If I fill up a milk jug and store it in my hidey hole (crawl space), I dont think thats safe or sanitary. Now once I get my pool shock and Berkey, I wont worry about it, but for now, even if I get a 5 gallon water jug and fill it myself, if its not airtight, is it safe/sanitary? I assume not, right?
    Hrm. I guess it still makes sense to do it no matter what. Better to have it and it be dirty, then to be thirsty with no water...