I'm not as crazy as everyone thought...

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Canadian, Nov 1, 2009.

1. They think I'm more crazy than ever for prepping.

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. No noticeable change in opinion.

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. They're curious about preps instead of uninterested.

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. A big swing in opinion towards preps being a good thing.

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. They now want me to help them prep.

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Some of us have been getting prepared for a very long time. Other people like me are new to survival preparations. However, I'm sure we've all been called "nuts" or gotten weird looks when talking about our preparations.

I've noticed a lot of changes around me lately. Traffic is lighter than ever and I can drive places much faster. The price of food and everything else is going up. Most of the women I know still have their jobs and almost all of the men have lost theirs. The people I know who invest have abandoned stocks and bonds and are going for commodities only. So in other words a lot of things have changed. The most important change is...

People don't think I'm nuts anymore. Okay, a few people will never change their minds but some others are reversing themselves. I told a good friend about my preps and he thought I was a bit crazy. He went home and told his wife and she told him that her friends are all talking about doing exactly what I'm doing. He asked me to forward him some links. Another friend has expressed interest in getting his gun permit. The investors I know have finally clued in and started taking my investment advice.

So do people think you're less crazy today than they did last year? Has opinion changed in your area in regards to being prepared? Let us know.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  2. dukman

dukman Greenhorn

Nope... I am still crazy as ever. But when the SHTF my buddies knows they can count on me to still help them.... :beercheer:

Even my family think I am slightly crazy.... but I only let them think the slightly part instead of having them think I am way out there looney toons :nuts: :D

And the traffic around here is WORSE THAN EVER! There is even quite a bit of construction going on even tho more building are becoming vacant every month...

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

One of my three sisters is finally starting to wonder if what we're doing here might have some merit. Last week she asked me how much stuff I canned and how I did it. She is thinking that next year she might like to have a garden and try canning. :) My family are the only people I really nag about prepping. If it comes up in conversation with others and I get "that look", I drop it.

4. sinbad

sinbad Well-Known Member

NOBODY knows of my preps and even then they think I am crazy LOL

5. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I don't really talk about it much, and we are still new. We still have a lot to get into place but we are doing what we can as the almighty dollar will allow. I have noticed, however, that prepping is showing up in mainstream media, with commercials for agencies like ready.gov showing up on the radio and less talk about "survivalists" while there is more about the less questionable "preppers". It's like the mentality is shifting from people like us being less like Ruby Ridge to more like the family in the 50's with a bomb shelter in the basement.

6. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I don't advertise the fact that I'm prepared, some have figured it out where I use to work in what I purchased. They always said we are going to Bobs' place if something ever happens. My neighbors said if the power goes out they will string extension cords over to my system for power, the same ones that drank beer on the other side of the fence and watched my family and I raise the wind turbine up:scratch. The people my wife works with jokingly make comments that we are off the grid, and must be survivalists, go figure.:nuts:

7. Canadian

It looks like opinions are shifting a bit. I think it'll take a while before being prepared becomes mainstream or fashionable. I hope we're all done with our preps before the mainstream catches on and starts driving the prices of survival items up. In the meantime I'm happy that more people are starting to wake up.

8. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the vast majority still think the government has things well in hand. :nuts:

9. Von Helman

Von Helman A very simple man

Since I live on a farm I notice this change too, more than ever people are taking an interest in rural living and asking me questions like how many eggs do chickens regularly lay, and other such similar questions.

10. Canadian

I think it's a growing trend. I hope it catches on. It really is just a return to good old fashioned values. Self reliance and responsibility.

11. bunkerbob

So this morning on the national news, they have commented on the way our government has handled the swine-flu issue. Originally they said that there would be 250 mil doses available for the flu season, about two months into it now, then scaled back to 50 mil doses available, then 40, 30, 20, now maybe 10 mil, each week it is downsized. There won't be enough for the target "at risk" population now. Great news for those that think the government should run the health care system.

I'm sure that the government has prepayed for the 250 doses and by the time it is available the flu season will be over, surplus flu vaccine anyone, who ends up paying for that.:rantoff:

12. Canadian

My friends lined up and waited six hours for the shots. Part way through someone announced that only "high risk" people would be getting the shot. A man who had been waiting for six hours as well went nuts. They gave him the shot anyway just to keep the peace. Supplies are running low because there has been a mad panic by people to get the shot.

13. bunkerbob

They are running low because they can't produce enough, you cannot run out of something that isn't there in the first place. Panic yes...the government:sssh: is running it.

14. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Here in Calgary (a city of just over 1 million people) there is a movement in the works to allow city-dwellers to raise chickens in their backyards (for meat or eggs). It is getting front-page newspaper coverage as this group tries to challenge the city's bylaws ...

Here is a copy of the news in the local "FastForward" ..

FFWD - Calgary Life & Style - Food - Chicks in the city

15. NaeKid

Another copy / paste of a local-newspaper:

Chicken owners fight bylaw

16. bunkerbob

Its better to be naked with your friends, than to be clothed with your enemies

Naekid, isn't it getting a little cold now for this naked thing up there...

17. NaeKid

You will always know your true friends - those who you can be around and never worry about what you look like ..

It is supposed to be 11° above freezing here today .. plenty warm enough to wander about barefoot. :beercheer:

18. NaeKid

Just checked the Environment Canada webpage - it is officially 52°F (11°C) right now (Noon-Thirty) and the sun is shining in a clear-blue-sky! :2thumb:

19. Canadian

Everyone should be able to raise chickens.

20. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Just to sidestep back to the flu thing from a couple posts ago...as I said, I had my minor surgery last week in a small, regional hospital. As I was going through the admission procedures, the lady I was talking to asked if I had had a seasonal flu shot. Then she asked if I had had an H1N1 shot. For both I said no I hadn't and when she offered them I said no to both. She said ok, but when she left there was literature (propaganda?) left on her chair harping up the flu shots. I'm not sure if they had H1N1 vaccine or not, but I'm thinking they must have. I'm 33 and healthy-don't normally get flu shots, so I turned it down. My thought was there are lots of people in this hospital who need it more than me and I probably wouldn't get it anyway. So if I get H1N1 it's now officially my fault.