If you were to write a book about prepping...

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by mosquitomountainman, Apr 9, 2010.

1. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

If you were to write a book about getting prepared what topics would you want to see covered?

Some I've thought of would be a section on determining when to bug out vs. when to stay in place.

Obviously a section on fallout shelters from the "Cadillac" version (lots of money and time) down to the expedient shelter (maybe you were on the road and had to do something FAST!!!).

Thoughts on vehicles. (What characteristics should a good survival vehicle have such as 4wd, EMP resistance, easy repairablility/maintanance, convertable/adaptable to alternate energy sources, etc.)

Long term sustainability.

Communication sytems.

Recruiting/forming groups including how to determine who you'd want to accept/reject as a group member.

etc.

I have lots of other ideas but would appreciate yours to help me out. I thought of this because of one of Jerry's stories in which the husband/father left detailed instructions for his family (and non-prepper wife) to follow when he was gone.

What would you want included if you had a child/relative that new nothing about prepping and you wanted to get them started right?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  2. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I am reading a how-to book on that right now. A lady wrote it who recently released it (she talks in the book about events of 2007 / 2008) called Just In Case. I don't have the book with me here at work, but, once I finish reading it (about half-through now) I'll be doing a book-report.

3. Asatrur

Asatrur Well-Known Member

I read this book several months ago before I found this site and I realized I had been prepping for several years. It was a good read and has since become part of my library.

4. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

Biggest advise I would put in is the following:

- You CANNOT buy preparedness, it is a state of mind.

and

- Bad things do happen, always plan for the worst and hope for the best.

V.

5. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Well-Known Member

Here is the TOC of the one I wrote and have posted on another Forum and a Blog.

Section 1: The Philosophy of Survival 4
    Chapter 1: The Will to Survive 4
    Chapter 2: The Convenience Factor 6
    Chapter 3: Hoarding versus Storing 7
    Chapter 4: Chance and Random Occurrence 8
    Chapter 5: Cost Considerations 9
    Chapter 6: Life Styles 11

Section 2: Are Preparations Really Necessary? 13
    Chapter 7: Lessons of History 13
    Chapter 8: Cycles 14
    Chapter 9: Current Troubles 15

Section 3: Survival Situations 16
    Chapter 10: War 16
    Chapter 11: Natural Disasters 18
    Chapter 12: Financial Disasters 23
    Chapter 13: Major Accidents 26
    Chapter 14: Local Disturbances 28
    Chapter 15: Terrorism 30

Section 4: What To Prepare For 31
    Chapter 16: Nuclear Warhead Effects 31
    Chapter 17: Chemical/Biological Warfare Effects 42
    Chapter 18: Conventional Warfare Effects 43
    Chapter 19: Natural Disasters 44
    Chapter 20: Financial Disasters 47
    Chapter 21: Local Disturbances 49
    Chapter 22: Most Common Effects 50

Section 5: The Preparations 57
    Chapter 23: Secrecy 57
    Chapter 24: Shelter 59
    Chapter 25: Equipment 78
    Chapter 26: Provisions 95
    Chapter 27: Arms 102
    Chapter 28: Mobility 113
    Chapter 29: Finances 115
    Chapter 30: Procedures 120
    Chapter 31: BOBs, BIBs, INCH Bags, GOOD Bags, Etc. 129

Section 6: Organized Community Preparedness 130
    Chapter 32: Small Business & Preparedness 130
    Chapter 33: Churches &Community Preparedness 132
    Chapter 34: Civic and Professional Groups & Community Preparedness 133
    Chapter 35: Local Community Preparedness 134
    Chapter 36: You & Community Preparedness 140

A Final Note 141

6. mosquitomountainman

Where/how can I get a copy of it?

Your survival stories are great. We (my wife and I) downloaded all we could find and are reading them.

7. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Well-Known Member

8. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

I probably already said this somewhere at some point, but your stories rock Mr. Young !!! Although I do not always have the time to read them as fast as I would like to, those I have read I'm simply loving !!!

Greetz,

V.

9. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

I think I would like to write a book that focuses on what to do after disaster strikes rather than preparing for it. I mean, let's face it. About 90% of all people out there are not going to be ready when TSHTF. Most will probably be at work and oblivious of what is going on.

The book would start directly after the disaster. Beginning with Day 1 as the dust begins to settle. It would focus on the timeframe someone would have to accomplish certain goals. And explain how they can use common household items to stay alive.

The book would first focus on your short term needs then branch out into how to meet your long term needs. The main aspects would be electricity, food, water, and medicine.

The last thing I would want is a preachy book of facts like the hundreds of other books out there. You can spend chapter after chapter explaining all about radiation, chemical weapons, and security. But it isn't really going to matter in the end.

10. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

what about a good geography for survival situations

areas of likely nuclear fallout, areas of highest density people, main highways that will be popular

there's a lot of literature on what to prepare for but not where to prepare, most books try to hit the base line of anywhere, USA but urban/suburban/country/forest/desert are all different survival issues and it'd be nice to see something that was like "the best places to live in a post-electric america/world"

edit: I change my answer (or maybe just put it in another book) I'd really like to see something on underground housing that isn't like a dirt hole, but actual housing plans for underground living. something hobbit-like maybe but instead of a round wooden door maybe a round steel vault door. would need windows or atleast something to simulate natural sunlight.

I've always thought the best BOL would have an underground parking space with a decontamination shower right in the entrance and a fortify-able front door, with an escape hatch in back

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  11. mosquitomountainman

Good points. A lot of post-disaster recovery would depend upon the type and severity of the disaster. The idea behind preparing in advance is to make initial survival rates higher and recovery afterward faster and easier.

12. mosquitomountainman

We've spent considerable time looking at the "where" of survival. Our current area (northwest Montana) is one of the best we know for anything except another ice age. When you look at fallout maps after a full-scale nuclear strike one of the worst places to be is Missouri and Kansas yet under most other situations they would be the best places to survive. A lot will depend upon what you believe will be the most likely disasters you expect in the future and how well you can prepare for them. (Bunker Bob, for example, takes the earthquakes in stride because he's foreseen that possibility and has adequately prepared for it.)

We love the idea of underground housing. The problem is that while we like the protection a bunker affords we don't want to live in one. We've talked about a place that's pretty open in the front living area with heavy, reinforced concrete inner walls to make "safe" rooms. We'd also have filled sand bags ready to reinforce the open front area if/when the need arose. We're still working on that idea. (Also the money part is a problem:D.)

I know some people in Kansas who have a full walk-in basement with a substantial "safe room" for "tornado" protection. Right! It has 24 in thick reinforced concrete walls and ceiling with a vault door. The house sits on a rise with good visibility all around and has years of food and supplies stored in the basement.

13. 101airborne

101airborne Well-Known Member

Strange you should ask. I am actually writing a manual/book for a local survival store that will be used in upcoming classes. Some topics are....

The mindset of survival

Likely disasters/Scenerios

Food preps

Gear such as tents, packs, and such

Weapons

Commo

First aid

Tactical ops.

Foraging

Barter/trade

Vehicles

Bug oout or bug in

These are a few topics that are being included, I hope to post it on line when completed.

14. mosquitomountainman

Great. Are you going to share it with us or is it for publication?

15. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

I did the same thing, wanted to write, didn't think I could, then I did, I wrote 3 so far, but I start out ok, but after whatever the event is I seem to get away from the preping stuff and more into just how folks are living... I can't say mine are anything for somebody to read to learn anything... more just fun for me and the joy of finding that even a gross lack of education need not be a barrier to writing.

I would rather read a story of how somebody survives starting with very little, as in a working stiff with a family, no extra cash to buy all the goodies.. but just somebody who's maybe a hunter and fisherman with some bit of knowledge of how to put together a good camp and how the ability to figure out how to trap or snare small critters..

my story's never really seem to get into the real aspects of it...I'm a harsh critic on my own stuff and not to gentle on others....

One thing for sure, as your story develops and you create new people, write some crib notes to yourself...their name, where they came from or how they fit in...
    I have a bad problem with not doing that and half way thru I have some of my people with the wrong person or such...

Other then that just start and let your mind run.. I never had a plan, I just started writing and when I reread it I'm like..who is this, where did this come from...

The best thing is when I've reread mine, I liked them, that's good enough for me... I ain't selling them and they are free to read or not so I never have to worry about disappointing somebody...

Good luck!! follow your dream!!...

16. 101airborne

Hope to be able to somehow set up a "site" or "link" so everyone that want's to can get it on-line free. May have to get someone to help. I'm not that computer smart.

17. 101airborne

Agree 110% people seem to learn more ( they don't know they are learning) from a story/entertainment than from a "technical" manual.

18. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

:wave: :wave: :wave:

I might just be able to help a bit ..

19. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

Maybe some could get a list of disaster movies together.?!? I do better with visual stuff. When I look at a manuel it looks like chinese to me and it isn't.
    I have to get my daughters to decipher what I am looking at.
    I know its terrible. But when I watch visual it sinks in. So I watch disaster movies and how to dvds.

20. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I've enjoyed reading everything on this thread and am wondering if all of us working together could write the ultimate preparedness book. We all have our own specialties and interests. We have all of these threads that we have discussed so far in this forum, I am wondering if we can create a best of book topic by topic. We could also add more to it as we learn more.
    I for one want to learn more about natural navigation and foraging off the land and being able to disappear without being noticed.
    Perhaps Dean could add a part to this forum where we begin to pull a manual together topic by topic.