If you only had a week to prep....

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Fiona, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Fiona

Fiona Active Member

DH and I and some friends were discussing various current events, and as we have military backgrounds, this question came up. If the manure hit the oscillating device, but you were given the "gift" of a week's foreknowledge, what would your priorities be in terms of prepping? I know, I know...a week?! Lame at best, I agree. However, I would really like to hear all your opinions, assuming we would SIP. Thanks in advance.....let the games begin!!!:D

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

A lot of variables to plug into that equation.

Are we independently wealthy?
    Are we in the city or country?

Or is this meant from each individuals personal situation at this moment, discounting preps that are already in place?

Don't know what SIP stands for. :confused: :eek:

3. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

beans, bullets, bandaids, and Bible :)

4. Fiona

Fiona Active Member

Sigh. I knew I was being too vague. Hmmm....not independently wealthy, just middle class, lower middle class. Suburbs/rural. I honestly would like to see two options - 1. What would you suggest to a newbie who hasn't a clue (I am not quite clueless...). 2. What would be YOUR priorities based on where you are in your preps. Is that helpful?

5. Idaholady

Idaholady Member

First I'd tell my friends and family to prepare so that they won't be a burden on my family. I'd store as much gasoline as I could for the generator. Then I'd buy up all the perishibles I could and use them first before hitting my stored preps. Lots of extra pet food, garden seeds, batteries, cooking oils, and hygiene stuff. Lastly, I'd pick up ammo, lumber,fencing, and homebuilding supplies, chainsaw oil, car batteries, car oil and filters, and more lamp oil.
    Then I'd set back and let whatever happens happen.....

6. Fiona

Fiona Active Member

Love it, Goshegirl. Short and precise! LOL

7. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Oh, fun! Well, let's see, if I was given the "gift" of a one-week foreknowledge that the S was going to HTF, and it was serious, big-time SHTF, this is what I'd do.

I'd cash in all my resources (other than pm's) and make the rounds of the stores, buying up as much non-perishable food and necessary sundries as I could. If I had anything I wouldn't need that I could sell fast, I'd do that too.

If we're talking serious forever SHTF, I'd max out all credit in every form available and buy more preps. More food. More medicine. More sundries (including those "women's supplies" guys like to worry about in the fiction stories)(not the ones I wrote! :D ). More barter items but only things my family and I could use if it came to that.

It would be a little late in the game at that point to make a hidden shelter if I didn't already have one, but I'd think about what options I had with what I already have. Do I have a basement? or some place else to hide myself and/or my supplies?

I have no military experience, but my husband and two of my son-in-laws are vets (two navy and one marine), so I'd leave that part to them, and they could spend that week fortifying or planning or whatever they would do.

But...would only I know this was about to happen? Would I be allowed to tell anyone else? Family? Friends? Neighbors?

Would anyone believe me?

My reputation could do with a twist like that attached to it! Spice things up a bit!

:D

8. FreeNihilist

FreeNihilist Well-Known Member

Dont forget rice as it makes a more complete protein with beans and well it just goes well together. lol

9. goshengirl

I can't claim any credit - I've been learning from this site. ;)

GypsySue, you're post got me to thinking about dividing jobs, with your DH being in charge of shelter. That makes sense, too. How would we divide up jobs? I'm sure I'd be in charge of making sure everyone would be fed, since that's my daily job anyway. :p

10. goshengirl

Yep, you're right. The list is an outline of sorts.
    beans = food (as well as water and alternative cooking equipment)
    bullets = firearms and other things that go boom
    bandaids = first aid supplies and any medicines needed by my family
    Bible = self-explanitory

Fiona, this is a great question.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  11. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Food, water, toiletries, gasoline, ammo an clothing an foot wear.

Food - canned an dry goods. Lots a cookin oils. We got some stuff, but ya never have enough.

Water - all the bottled I could find plus containers fer gatherin up what we got round here.

Toiletries- cases a toilet paper, more soap (we got a bunch stored, but would be good trade stock to), toothpaste, deoderant an other hard ta find items.

Gasoline- all I could afford ta keep the generator runin, er at least till I get the wood gas conversion goin on it. Need ta be able ta travel some when absolutely needed. Also, extra kerosene fer the lanterns. Got plenty a used cookin oil ta make additional lamps if needed.

Ammo- all I can get. 22 ammo, 30-06 ammo as well as 12 gauge. My primary rounds.

Clothing- extra pants, shirts, an under clothes. Extra work boots cause there gonna become hard ta find.

Also, extra blankets. If we don't need em there good trade stock.

12. FreeNihilist

FreeNihilist Well-Known Member

Ah, that explains things a bit better as an outline. I thought you were mentioning individual things that people might not normally remember.

Medical things dont occur to people sometimes, when I was first learning medical supplies never entered my mind (being younger at the time not that Im very old now) and as far as beans go very few people I know use dried beans at all. Or would think to bring them. I personally have a large stash of rice and beans stored away.

13. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

not to nitpick, but depending on the type of disaster/event, and the degree of foreknowledge many many things could be done

my assumptions for the scenario include (based on SIT strategy):
    general populace unaware of event
    not an Apocalyptic Global Killer (gamma burst, tremendous planetary impact, ie things nobody has a hope of surviving no matter where on the planet they are)
    local geography/topography not impacted significantly (no supervolcano or oceans rise signnificant)
    survival area at periphery of event
    etc etc etc

so much more & it takes longer to type than it does to think of it... :eek:

14. The_Blob

if you get a chance to look at some of the more popular topics, you will find that most of us definitely know the value of weight/calorie ratio (dehydrated or preserved foods) & the importance of potable water

15. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

If I had a week...
    I would get a shot gun. More ammo.
    Then more food and toiletries.
    I would get plywood for boarding up some of my windows in the house.
    I would go to Lehman's and max out the credit card! Buy them out of Tattler lids too!
    Stock up on chicken and goat feed.
    Start filling my Fifty 5 gallon buckets with water then as I empty them fill them with some of the food I bought because the food would be ok for a little while with out being stored in buckets.
    Buy more seeds and canning jars.
    Get my milk cow!!

16. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Well-Known Member

Week to Prep Priorities

1st priority: Water. Store a lot, locate a reliable future source, get water treatment/purification

2nd priority: Food. No cook, add hot water only, & easy-cook shelf stable foods, heavy on meats, fruits, and comfort foods

3rd priority: Communications. Weather radio with alarm, windup AM/FM/SW radio

4th priority: Sanitation. Chemical toilet, TP, hand washing means, bug spray, antiseptic cleaners, shovel to bury wastes

5th priority: Shelter. Basic camping gear in case the house becomes unlivable

6th priority: Lighting. Wind up LED flashlights

7th priority: Protection. From wild domesticated animals, wild animals, and self defense in those cases where it might be needed

8th priority: Extensive first-aid kit, heavy on the trauma treatment

9th priority: Tools. To get you out if you’re trapped in, to get in to someone that is trapped

10th priority: Season specific clothing.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

17. The_Blob

very concise, as always, Jerry, tho I think I would swap #s 3, 5, and 6

shelter
    lighting
    communications

but that is just my opinion

I always worry about #8 if the person doesn't have the training and that cannot be had in a week

18. BizzyB

BizzyB BucketHunter

A week's notice for a true SHTF probably wouldn't be distinguishable from the SHTF itself due to the panic -- assuming everyone else was in on the advanced warning.

Personally, I would stay away from stores. Panicked shoppers are dangerous beasts. First we would go retrieve the aged in-laws and get them settled in with us. Routine is key with them. Also, fill their prescription meds (but only if it was safe to do so). Touch base with the kids and review their plans for bugging the heck out of the cesspool city they live in and getting to either our place or the BOL. Prep bug-out vehicles for just in case. Activate perimeter security (still planning the details); hang the black-out curtains, etc.

19. vn6869

vn6869 Afraid, very afraid

I for one like your answer Idaholady, along with Goshengirl's.

I presume all that are visiting this forum are already preparing. If not by physicaly acquiring what we feel is needed, then by at least mentally.

So given a weeks "notice" would let us know what exactly we are preparing for. Now we are trying, I believe, all bases, pandemic, natural disaster, government/society breakdown, etc. etc.. So final preps can be organized and focused for the particular manure to hit the oscillating devise. :dunno:

20. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

OK Now that we have some parameters established;

For us personally, I think I would start with some horse drawn farming gear.

All the seeds I could get my hands on.

A few extra leathers for our shallow well hand pump.

A tractor-trailer load of firewood.

A couple dozen fire extinguishers.

Another 50-100 chickens and 10-15 more goats.

500# of wheat for grinding and planting.

A large roll of heavy duty plastic sheeting.

10,000 rounds of .22/ 2500 of 8mm/ 2500 30/30 and 1000 12ga.

I'm sure I could come up with more but I'm running out of money. :rolleyes: