Identifying wild plants

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by rwc1969, Jul 20, 2011.

1. rwc1969

rwc1969 Well-Known Member

I've had a few folks ask how I go about identifying wild plants for the table, and what books I use.

Here is that info.

Thanks for watching!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lolbCoCx6YY]‪How I Identify Wild Plants‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

2. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Hey, I have that book! :wave:

3. rwc1969

Which one? There all pretty good books.

4. llatikcuf

llatikcuf New Member

The two foraging books by Samuel Thayer are excellent - didn't have time to watch your video to see if you mentioned them. Forager's Harvest and Nature's Garden. Useful and practical with good photos and entertaining to boot.

5. rwc1969

I don't think I did, but they are both great books. I don't think Sam mentions this plant in them though, and that's probably why I excluded it.

These definitely aren't the only books I use, as I find each book tends to have a little more in one area than the other.

I tried using Peterson's guide to ID what I believe was Cohosh today, but it doesn't seem to be included in his edibles guide, which makes sense as it's a medicinal.

6. lanahi

lanahi Well-Known Member

Here is a handy online key to identify some wild plants.
    http://www.realtimerendering.com/flowers/flowers.html

You really have to be accurate in the details you give it in order to find the plant but it is a good start. It sometimes gives you a few possibilities, and then you can google them from there.

I have a few dozen books, but none of them can cover all the plants, not even the wild food plants. There are thousands of edible plants in the wilds. This key has helped me a few times.