Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of posts on this and other sites about guns, which I'm all for & own. What I don't see a lot of is anything about preparing if you don't have access to a firearm. I understand that not all of us have been through the military, I have not. Does anyone take any training courses? I'm taking Krav Maga, have been for 7 months now. What I really love about it is the way they train you to be in the mindset of ending it quickly and smartly. It's easy to learn and remember, you don't have to be in gladiator shape to use it. Our facility in San Antonio also holds women's only classes dealing with home invasion scenarios, ATM and putting groceries up/car jacking. Does anybody feel the same as me?

·
446 Posts
I took karate (TaeKwonDo) when I was younger and remember most of it. Not sure if I can still do spin kicks or the like (just had my knees replaced) but if I'm within arms reach, watch out. :p Hopefully, I won't need to use it cuz like the old saying goes- "I'm too old to fight so I'll just shoot you." I wish I could get my wife interested in a self-defense course but that will never happen. :eek:

Tim

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
We had a topic similar to this not long ago.

The best weapon is the one closest to you. If you are in the kitchen doing some baking (pies - yummy) you will have a rolling-pin right there. Use it.

If you are camping and just finished cooking a great meal and something comes towards you - use the hot cast-iron fryin' pan and lay out the smack-down. Even better if there is still some hot oil in that pan.

Training to use what is available to you is better than trying to rely on a single "planned" weapon. Having a gun in the bedroom ready to use when you are in the living room and someone breaks-in will not do you any good. Having a knife in the kitchen won't help you if you are in the garage - use a wrench!

It is only when you are not ready for something to happen that it will - and - no-one can have weapons always ready .. Would you have a gun on your hip when you are in the shower? Probably not. My weapon of choice at that point would be the shower-curtain and the curtain rod ...

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
We had a topic similar to this not long ago.

It is only when you are not ready for something to happen that it will - and - no-one can have weapons always ready .. Would you have a gun on your hip when you are in the shower? Probably not. My weapon of choice at that point would be the shower-curtain and the curtain rod ...
There you go again, getting into that naked image:eek:.:D

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
Me, seen naked in the shower? I pity the poor housebreaker who saw that! I wouldn't need a weapon to get them to leave.

Seriously though, some very good points about using what's at hand.

These things usually happen so suddenly that most victims are caught without a plan. By rehearsing such possibilities in your mind at all times you will save valuable reaction time...and maybe your life.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have spent military but as Naekid says anyting close by works. I dont own any fire arms either, but know how to fight very well ;erant the hard way grew up in a rough neighbourood. One of the best things I have learnt about self defense is are you ready to kill. It is nice to chase an attacker off yes but he will return with help later, but if the attacker fears for their life when they attack odds are they wont ever come back. My plan for SHTF event to proctect my loved ones is make anyone who attempts to harm me and my loved ones is to kill not deter they try to gain entry i pull him in kill and drag the body out.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I have spent military but as Naekid says anyting close by works. I dont own any fire arms either, but know how to fight very well ;erant the hard way grew up in a rough neighbourood. One of the best things I have learnt about self defense is are you ready to kill. It is nice to chase an attacker off yes but he will return with help later, but if the attacker fears for their life when they attack odds are they wont ever come back. My plan for SHTF event to proctect my loved ones is make anyone who attempts to harm me and my loved ones is to kill not deter they try to gain entry i pull him in kill and drag the body out.
I wouldn't bother with draggin' the body out, except to put on the BBQ and serve with a nice sauce ...

I am not willing to kill anything that I am not willing to eat ... :sssh:

·
Registered
17 Posts
the body is to atract additon protection/alarm system in the way stray dogs that are starving. once feral dogs have that taste the roam lookin for others to eat.

·
Prepping
158 Posts
I have been lucky enough to have a large ammount of training(probably 2 months in total straight) of hand to hand combat in the military. However, this like anything else tends to fade in skill over time if not practiced. In a world survival situation you sure as heck bet that I'd be practicing with whomever I'm with these skills whenever I could and perfect them back up to full potential.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If the fight goes hand to hand, you are doing something wrong. Best advice I've ever been given.

I've had an assortment of hand-to-hand training throughout my life but I will probably never use it. Karate when I was a kid. Tan Belt when I was stationed on a Marine base. Aikido and Kendo when I lived in Japan.

But I would be more likely to strangle somebody with my shoelaces if it came down to it. It's just faster. You pop somebody's eye out of the socket with your finger, the fight is over in seconds and you didn't have to put them in a single arm bar or leg hold.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I've taken years of karate and kendo, been trained by local and state law enforcement agencies, the military, and hoping to get in to federal law enforcement pretty soon. I've also trained extensively with swords, shields, rattan bos, escrima sticks, maces and clubs. All of that has trained me pretty well to be able to improvise and use most any item as a weapon. Remember, you can kill someone with just about anything under the correct circumstances; the trick is to train for, and recognize those circumstances.

In example: I've trained with a bo staff . . . a broom handle works pretty well. Escrima? A long mag light or a length of pipe will work. Shield work? Grab pretty much anything with a handle and swing it. Once you start to cross-reference your training with everyday objects, you'll start to see a lot of things that could be used in an emergency.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I studied TaeKwonDo in college years ago, only remember a couple of blocks. Studying it again would be a great way to get back into shape. I have always enjoyed the mental aspects of martial arts also.

·
Prepping
158 Posts
Allen Idaho I could not wholeheartedly agree any more than to your statements. If it were to come down to hand to hand combat then you are fighting for your life straight up. It's not about knowing how to outpunch your oponent in a boxing match or have him run away bleeding and lost, it's about killing him and protecting yourself and your family or friends. In a shtf situation the only time you'd need hand to hand would be to protect yourself from somebody who is trying to take your life or severely injur you after all other methods have failed. And in a shtf situation a small cut alone from an opponent could mean infection(if supplies are run out), let alone broken bones and a cut deep enough for stitches or internal bleeding.

One thing I learned in the military is that hand to hand is dirty. Yes, they teach you disarming techniques, chokeout techniques, and knife fighting, but nobody that learns the latter can EVER use this in a civilian fight because they are killing techniques. In a shtf situation(globally/continentally), as Allen Idaho said, you need to know how to gouge eyes, rip tracheas, blood choke, dislocate spinal colums with the palms of your hands.

I'm sure Karate and other martial arts teaches a wonderful array of techniques for self protection which would 100% surely come in handy, but in a world survival situation you must know how to kill efficiently with your hands if necessary, or if anything be willing. What if a 280lb leviathan comes at your with brute force and wants to pummel you to death with his fists?? Karate or no Karate, you are toast unless you are willing to take it to the next step. Pluck those eyes out, rip that trachea, blood choke him, heel palm strike him to the chin, know every pressure point on the human body.

But also as Allen Idaho said, there shouldn't be a cause for this. Use your shoelace, use a big stick, something big and pointy, a rock or something, you have two choices..... your life or theirs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I hold a brown belt in Kenpo, in addition to my military training. From my perspective, there are many good points. if no weapons are at hand, improvised weapons come in very handy. I strongly believe that the martial arts create a very good foundation for both empty hand and weapons based combat. However, the foundation is worthless without the mindset to do what is necessary, and the mindset is not fully actualized without wisdom, or the ability to read a situation.

While "killing blows" cannot be utilized in sparring, they can be practiced on a bag or some of the new training dummies that are out there. Ideally, practice beforehand to reach proficiency, but if in a shtf situation, I too would be practicing constantly, along with practicing as much as possible with firearms, doing "washer drills" and the like if ammunition was a problem or shooting was not tactically advisable.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Hmmmmm...and double hmmmm... I will talk about me and what I know which ain't much, but it's real world not UFC in the cage...

Faced with an Ice Man or Brock Lestner I'd have to shoot them, I could not stand up and fight one of them and if they are close enough to hit me then my plan is not working

First thing is , there is no defense for a sucker punch, your walking down the street and somebody walking past you just pops you, your going down.

Situational awareness is the first line of defense, maybe I'm a coward, but I watch everybody around me.

I never sit with my back to a door except in one instance, I have a few friends who are like me and if they are in the good seat I'm ok because I know they are doing what I would do, I can tell from their eyes if there is a potential problem nearby. I should mention that all my friends are armed, all the time, I have one buddy who don't have a CCW.

I've pissed off more then a few people by asking them to trade me seats, No I don't think I have any enemies who are looking to shoot me in the back, but Bill Hitchcock did as did John W. Harding and they knew better!

I avoid places where a problem might exist, such as local tough guy competitions, there's always the drunk who has something to prove and as I'm a big guy I draw their attention.

When I say I'm always armed I mean .."Really" not a loose comment, I carry, and in my truck there's one under the arm rest, I have my "Man Purse" by Maxpidition , with a handgun in it, it travels with me... everywhere...

I'm typing this with my sweet little SIG Mosquito at hand along with my Surefire light. and now it really gets bad!!:D, by my bed there is a short bbl pump 12 ga, under the bed is a short dbl bbl 12 ga, both loaded with #1buck

And last ...I sleep with my XD45 under the covers with me, and my hand on it...Paranoid
? maybe, ok maybe a lot.. but if I get caught off guard hopefully I'll make it...

I carry a knife that the cops won't hassle me over but I have a CCW good in every state I will be in, I will not drive thru a state that won't recognize my MT CCW... when I wear my Justin cowboy boots there is a sweet little boot knife made and given to me by my Late friend Rob Siminich one of the best custom knife makes ever...

I also am aware of the ball point pen in my pocket, the long key to my Dodge.

I also remember the stuff they taught me 50 years ago in the Marines, but none of it works for dealing with a pushy drunk, it was all about killing the other guy.. and I'd hate to be in court for killing some dumb chit who had a few too many and thinks he's Randy Couture ... my only defense in that case is to leave...fast..OR, beter plan, don't be there in the first place...

A sharp #2 pencil will never catch the eye of a cop...but it will put somebody down fast!... there is that short stick thing that you can carry on your key chain, hold it in your palm and do a hammer blow with it...damn,,what is that called...and I have one..anyway, they work and don't break your knuckles..

Where I live the Lady of the Manor never owned a gun, never shot a gun, never touched a gun, in the last year she's shot my AK, don't like it, won't shoot my Saiga 12 ga... but likes the 10-22...so I bought her a Ruger 22 MK 2 ...she shoots it like she was born with it in her hand... she's having to spend a lot of time in H'ton because of a family member in the hospital, I asked her to take her Ruger, she said it was too heavy and long, so we went looking and found a good deal on a Taraus that works like the tom cat... after about an hour and 300 rounds she was hitting pop cans at 20 yds! she named it "Thelma" and of course the Ruger is...... anybody???..

I've taught her situational awareness , she used to be bothered like many other women in my life that I don't sit staring into their eyes while talking...I'm watching the room..hell she even heads for the table in the corner now...

I'll sum this up by sauing I've had to have a bullet dug out of me and I've had to use a my gun...I can say that I think I know what I'm doing, I hope I do, but that sucker punch can still kill you...

As bill Jordon wrote in his book of the same title.." There's no second place winners in a gun fight"...he would know, he planted over a dozen bad guys...

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Yes !!! thanks Doc...I'm more dangerous for the things I forget then what I know!! :D

:beercheer::beercheer:

·
Registered
2 Posts
if theres ever a situation where youll be forced to flee and survive off of your own back id say hand to hand will come naturally.
on the other hand all that money you may spend on combat lessons would probably be better spent on a wee pile of 9mm ammo. ammo has a good shelf life and in a dog eat dog situation id shoot 1st and ask second!:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
I truly believe that if it came to hand to hand, I will kill the f..., with anything I can get my hands on. or break my elbows, knees, hands , forehead trying.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.