I opened a friends eyes.

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by unclebob, Nov 25, 2010.

1. unclebob

unclebob Well-Known Member

As the title says I woke a friend up not long ago. I sugested he read One Second After. He is the average guy who earlier when asked what he would do had said "I coming to your house".
    Sadly this was only followed by the disapointment when I said I could not support him and his family as my family and group was too large as it is.
    He has no idea where my country place is as I tell no one it's location.
    I have been surprised as he says now after reading another planing book by James Wesley, Rawles, he will bug in. I am happy for his family he has opened his eyes but I am alarmed as he is continuing to buy more guns (already had a few) instead of food or water filtration. Is this a normal first reaction to waking up?

Am I paranoid? I have started doubling back more often as I leave town as things get worse. :nuts:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  2. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

It's a good indicator on how some folks think.

The reality is without firearms, someone is fodder for others who are willing to take what is necessary. If it really gets bad, then firearms matter more than food. It's just the way it is. I've a name for those folks who post silly things like "you can't eat bullets"...I call them 'resources' because the terrible truth is, when it comes down it it, there's no way most of us would starve if we've got a means of taking what we need from those too foolish not to have a means of defense. (This is all situation dependent. If someone goes apesh*t and starts killing folks to take their stuff at something that's just regional, and the rule of law will be reestablished, they're planning very wrong. If it's truly TEOTWAWKI and someone put money into firearms and ammunition, and spent their time tracking who was stockpiling and what their habits are and what they've got, then they've done it correctly...morally wrong, but smart.)

As that's a reality, then we need to be prepared to defend what we have.

What that new prepper should also be doing is buying and storing grains, pasta, and other food items.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

3. SaskBound

SaskBound Well-Known Member

Your friend may be so overwhelmed that he has reverted to getting more of what he already knows how to use. You might pull him aside and suggest that, while guns have their place, twenty gallons of water for the water cooler, and ten pounds each of rice and beans might be more useful right now. Put specific numbers on it, so he at least has a little direction with his project. It sounds like he is directionless and panic buying. Plus, the specific books he read have a fairly militaristic bent, which could reinforce the need for weapons...

4. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

You could introduce him to some of the PAW-Fiction on this board - maybe one of the stories that does not include guns (GypsySue's LongRideHome comes to mind or Jerry's Barbara's Legacy comes to mind) and through those kinds of stories show that a gun is just a tool, but, further preparations will be required.

5. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I'd much rather be prepared all my life and never meet a disaster than to meet a disaster and not be prepared...............

6. goose

goose Active Member

I don't think you're paranoid. I think that it could be interpreted that he's going to come to your house, and guess what he's planning to do?

If he's read One Second After, and the Rawles book, and he's not putting up food nor planning on a water supply, then what else can he be planning for?

It might not be that he'll come to your house for your preps, but he knows you have them, as opposed to others where he's not sure.

I might probe a bit with him to find out why he's choosing this approach. If you don't like the answer, you have some thinking to do.

7. semperscott

semperscott Well-Known Member

To paraphase "you are paranoid, but are you paranoid enough!"

I would have a chat with the "friend" and suggest that he considers food and other necessities before adding more weapons to his collection. Afterwards I would ALWAYS keep an eye on him and be aware that he may think it is easier to take by force rather than doing the hard work of prepping.

8. NavyKen

NavyKen Active Member

I'm sorry to say if I see much more of this type of thinking on this board I will be forced to stop visiting. This is only a secondary board for me and If this is the norm I will not miss it.

:(

9. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

I'm sorry to say if I see much more of this type of thinking on this board I will be forced to stop visiting. This is only a secondary board for me and If this is the norm I will not miss it.

I don't think the reality that we live in a violent world is going to change no matter how much we wish it so. Bye.

10. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

That is one members opinion and does not reflect most of what is discussed on this board (in this members opinion)

11. tortminder

tortminder Well-Known Member

The responder may be harsh in voicing his opinion, however being an ostrich and burying your head in the sand will only result in getting your a$$ shot off.

It is not a Kum-By-Ya world out there, and, it is better to hope for the best but prepare for the worst in my opinion.:cool:

12. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Tirediron is right. Members can voice their opinions but they may not reflect the views of anyone else on here. Spend a lot of time on other threads before you decide to leave this forum.

Sadly, some members aren't as diplomatic in their "phraseology", and perhaps don't mean things as harsh as they sound. Some do. Just be patient with us!

:)

13. Tirediron

I would be the first guy to tell you to be prepared to defend your self, your people, your property and your hard earned supplies, and the last guy to say parisetic skuzz balls who lurk around planning to steal people with fore thoughts goods were smart . Scum is scum NO matter what NO matter when

14. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

I agree strongly with Tort and I do believe that understanding that we might be facing violence is a view a majority holds in survivalism. To be of value, survivalism needs to be realistically approached, not made politically correct and sensitive. If things do fall apart, this isn't going to be a nation wide camping trip, holding hands and sinking camp song, it's going to be a scary competition for resources.

If a person is upset with people merely mentioning the that the post SHTF is world is going to be dangerous and violent, then that person isn't realistically approaching survivalism.

We have ONE person threaten to leave because they don't want to address bad possibilities in survivalist scenarios and we're all supposed to suddenly pretend it's going to be safe, and good?

Wouldn't it be better to address the possibilities, prepare for them, and pray they don't happen? Or in a bad case situation, address them now, in writing and in concept, and be better preapred for dealing with them?

15. Tirediron

Yeah if or when SHTF things will be tough. there is too much "Butch" & "Gunkid" mentality out there and for them to read that that way of thinking is smart is possibly adding fuel to an allready demented fire. The thought that they will probably get a hole or 2 in them when they try to enact their plan would maybe deter them ??
    Like they used to say in Texas, Fire a warning shot thru his head

16. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

You provided one of the individuals who we should be concerned about. Gunkid types prep largely with firearms...I don't remember much from his about food storage. I think he was an MRE proponent. They write down information on what others have and what they willingly share on the Internet and in real life. Gunkid is precisely why most of us shouldn't do FTF meetings at all because he's not the most dangerous one, the ones who are crafty, clever, and friendly acting but vicous like a skillful, manipulative psychopath are the ones to worry about....those folks smile, never get into conflict on the Internet or in real life, and their victims don't even see it coming. They'll tell ya what you want to hear...or in this case, read.

17. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

Well honey, that would be your average thinking after the SHTF. You got to take things like that into account. Prepare for ANYTHING.

I'll give you an example. Read the book/Watch the movie called The Road. I haven't read the book but I did see the movie. I never seen something so...bothersome in my life when it came to how other people would treat you if it came down to their life or yours.

Desperate times will call for desperate measures.

18. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

If you are frightened you will go into a defensive mode. Maybe your friend is just frightened by the things he has read. Don't take any chances don't tell anyone anything about your prepping in detail. If ask, just say you have a few things put back incase the economy can't get it's act together, or you are prepared for another snowy winter. Do not under any circumstances show any outsider your stores.

19. twiggie

twiggie The end is extremely nigh

Instead of buying a lot of new guns it would really be beneficial to stockpile ammo for the guns he already has. Ammo is getting more expensive and might be impossible to find some day.
    It certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to reinforce in his mind the necessity of storing food and water. If either of you keep a vegetable garden it could give learning experience and a helping hand to work together this spring and set up gardens, harvest and save seeds.
    Just my $0.02

20. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Put bluntly, but truthfully...my husband is sooooo concerned of all the food and supplies we have, I just moved 77 cases of canned goods and buckets of food to an empty closet from an 8 X 8 ft pantry!!!

I left some in case one friend gets nosey and asks where's the goods??