I don't think we realize how scary SHTF would be.

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by lexsurivor, Oct 24, 2010.

1. lexsurivor

lexsurivor Well-Known Member

Most of us (including me) have thought of TEOTWAKI/SHTF would be cool or fun. But we also forget that it would be scary as hell. What made me think of this was a dream I had last night. Actually 2.

The first dream went like this... I was in school and then I checked my news on my phone in class then realized something was horribly wrong. So I was trying to figure out a way to leave school and get to the neighborhood across the street so I could get home. Then I finally got to it but I realized I had no Idea where I was and I couldn't get to my house or family.

The second dream went like this...
    I told my parents that something was wrong and the SHTF and they didn't believe me so I had to go to school. At school I checked the news and the U.S had been hit with a nuke. But since it was in the middle of the work day the news hadn't gotten around yet. So I called my parents to get home right away. Then I left school and arrived at my house and my mom was there but my dad wasn't. And nobody could find out where he was. Then the chaos ensued as people found out what had happened.

2. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

Well, there are differing levels of "SHTF". One nuke set off in a big city would mean Bad Juju for those citizens, but would have little immediate effect on the rest of the nation. If in NYC, the financial workings have been spread out more since the debacle of 9-11. If in DC - well, not much downside there........ :rolleyes:

BUT..... make that an air-burst over our nation that puts us under a huge EMP burst - yeah, now we are talking Big Trouble........
    Schools would be immediately shutdown - no power or other utilities. Your homes would be powerless and waterless too. All stores down - but in three days or less, the people raid all stores to restock their home shelves - few keep more than a few days food at home.
    Gas stations down - NO gas or diesel - cars and trucks are soon dead ont he roads. No air travel No shipping of goods, fuels or anything else. Farms, pretty much run by machine these days, are also down. Those with family or backyard farms and gardens will be raided.
    LEO and other emergency services will be overwhelmed and soon unable to respond - NO gas......
    I would expect municipal leaders to declare Martial Law and begin gathering ALL resources - public and PRIVATE - for "The greater good"..... ie. we risk our preps being confiscated. NEVER let others know of your preps! They will DEMAND their 'share'....... :eek:
    In about two weeks, the death toll rises, as people starve, die of thirst and disease, or from simply being killed for what little they have.
    Imagine the state of the hospitals - disease, injuries, shootings..... and little power, medicines quickly used up and NO new deliveries. Doctors, nurses and other staff eventually leave to take care of their own families.
    BO to the woods and hunt....? Yeah, you and ten thousand other Bubbas......
    I give it two weeks and ALL the animals are killed out.
    FedGov will TRY to 'manage' the catastrophe - FEMA will be everywhere..... but inthe end they will give it up and withdraw. They will seek to protect the "Leadership", and leave the rest of us to fate......

Gonna be a rough time - the New Dark Ages....... :surrender:

Anyone looking forward to this is a fool......... :mad:

3. Herbalpagan

Herbalpagan Well-Known Member

Yeah, if thinking about it is scary, imagine what it will really be like! However, thinking out all these dreams and scenarios is helpful, because it makes you think about what you will do. Being prepared both in supplies and mentally, with a plan, is the best way to survive things.

4. lexsurivor

I disagree. I think that if a small nuke that did even less damage then a conventional bomb was set off the psychological effect would be huge. People would be panicking when the found out the U.S was nuked. No matter what size the nuke is the idea of being nuked will send people into chaos.

5. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

You're right ... it's all a mind game and the panic will be the worst part of the crisis. If the governments can get people calmed down and feeling secure and if the governments have plans in place and if they have the ability to implement then much can be done to alleviate the fear.

You're right ... we're screwed!

6. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

I disagree strongly with the original post, I believe that many of us prep precisely because we know it will be bad. If it wasn't bad, we wouldn't prep. This ain't a game to me or something to look forward to like an extended camping trip with everyone invited. This would be a Hellish struggle to survive with daily combinations of misery, boredom and terror combined with hunger and depression. I prep to mitigate the potential effects.

7. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I agree with lex. A small nuke in one city would panic everyone because they'd fear more nukes would be coming. It truly would be a scary time.

What I'm about to say I mean in all seriousness, not as a joke. We pretty much live off our garden and hunting, etc., but I really would miss a world where I COULD go buy a soft drink, candy bar, corn chips, or a good pizzaria pizza. Trivial as that seems, those are the things I would miss. I can bake cookies, muffins, pies, even homemade pizza, but it's not the same.

Imagine seeing your supply of socks or even underwear are pretty well worn out, and having to make or barter with someone to make those things.

What will you miss 5 years from now if it happened today?

8. lexsurivor

Dr.pepper. That's why Im trying to figure out their secret recipe. I have the first 22 flavors down but cant find out the 23rd. :scratch

9. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

It's prunes...lots and lots of fermented prunes.

Now if I could keep the bottling plant that makes Diet Coke up no matter what I'm good to go.

10. tortminder

tortminder Well-Known Member

Just as those who think that going to war and "killing the bad guys" would be cool and/or fun have never experienced war; those who believe that TEOTWAWKI/SHTF would be cool and/or fun have never been in a meltdown.:gaah:

Ask any of the folks who lived through the nightmare of Katrina... or the Chicago blizzards of 1967 and 1979... or any other natural disaster how cool and fun it was. Ask a San Franciscan how much fun and how cool it was to experience the 1989 earthquake,,, especially if they were on the Bay Bridge.

It won't be fun. It won't be cool. Many of us this forum, (as well as in the rest of society), will die... all unpleasantly, some horribly. For those that survive it will be a bleak existence, (research the lives of European peasants during the period from 900-1700 A.D.).

It ain't gonna be like the experiences of the "heroes" in "Mad Max" or some video game. It will be a hard, hungry miserable time that no sane person would wish to happen.:(

11. TimB

TimB Member

I think it goes both ways. There are those who fantasize about it, thinking how "cool" it would be but really have no idea how bad things could get or how quickly.
    Then there are those of us who have a pretty good idea and as said, is exactly why we prep.

Tim

12. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

I'm sorry, but I don't think anyone fantasizing about TEOTWAWKI it is over the age of... actual or mental...12. This has to be a pre pubescent fantasy without even a pre adult's grasp of what can happen.

13. SaskBound

SaskBound Well-Known Member

I have to disagree a little. One of my ongoing fantasies is to not have neighbours, and / or to limit my interactions to a couple hundred people a year (I work for a huge corporation. I probably talk to a hundred people in a day). While I enjoy that thought, I have no illusions of what TEOTWAKI would look / feel like, and have no interest in actually living it. It's true; that's why I prep.

14. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

I don't think I'd get caught up in the doom and gloom aspect of living an a Post SHTF world. After reading a few of these posts I wonder why some prepare. Sounds like you might be better off dead. There would be bad times but people have survived worse and even enjoyed life as they knew it.
    Much of it will be the attitude we greet our new life with.

Don't forget, even if its TEOTWAWKI, we still have knowledge that people didn't have 500 years ago. The dark ages returned? Not hardly!

15. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

It'd be wonderful not to have to supervise people, do purchase orders to get things done, comply with regulations and laws that often overlap and contradict each other, and resource efforts without having the funds or materials at work.

However, I can imagine not having medicine. Not having food. Working my fat butt off to get anything, not just comforts but necessities. I've been cold, wet, and miserable and I've been without good drinking water and I don't ever want to experience that again. All that was without threat-others seeking the same resources. It's one thing to wear a sidearm at times due to duty or to be prudent, it's another to have it out of necessity.

I like being able to go get a salad in a drive through. I like meeting a friend and eating sushi and discussing theories. I like chatting with fresh, clean, lovelies without fear in their eyes. Life now is good. Mothers can feed their children unless they are dirt bags. We're protected by the Rule of Law.

Post TSHTF it'll be bad. Very bad.

I don't wish that on anyone, even those who think it's going to be fun.

16. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

If TEOTWAWKI really happens it'll be a very scary time. At least until things settle down into whatever the "new" world as we'll get to know it, falls into place. That could be a couple years, maybe more.

I think about how frightened my kids and grandkids would be if they really did have to bug out to get here. One of the things I've done to ease that is to pack "transition" buckets full of treats and comfort food for those first weeks or months to help ease...what else? The transition.

We also packed up a few "Christmas buckets", so we call them, that we don't plan to dig up for about 5 years after TEOTWAWKI, with the things that we probably will be long out of...Sugar, white flour (we'll be using whole wheat that we grind, for daily use), salt, spices, candy, hot cocoa, instant coffee, dry creamer, etc. That'll be a big treat by then. I've even wondered how long soda pop would keep in an airtight container buried well below the frost line. Just enough for everyone to have a bit.

Imagine if one of your loved ones got hurt and there was no hospital or doctor to take them to? Or a heart attack? Or over time someone gets sicker and sicker and in pain, and you think it might be cancer, but there's no place to go, nothing that can be done.

Imagine going to bed not knowing if someone was going to attack in the night. Imagine not being able to buy gas, use your car, go to a store for anything.

Saskabound, I had such a funny feeling reading about all the many, many people you must talk to in any given work day. Until I went to Kalispell yesterday for my granddaughter's birthday party, I'd gone two weeks without laying eyes on another human other than my husband and a son that still lives at home. I talked to one family member and one neighbor on the phone. All other contact with the outside world was via internet. We live near the end of a very remote gravel road, so there's no traffic to speak of. It's fascinating to think of living your life for a day.

17. lexsurivor

Part of the reason is movies and games only show the glamorous parts of TEOTWAKI. They don't show the bad parts. Also I really doubt that most of my generation could survive. Most would die or commit suicide within a week. Without their precious I-pod.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  18. lexsurivor

I would say age 10. Because by the time their 12 they have a little bit of grasp on reality.

19. PS360

PS360 Well-Known Member

I’ve never romanticized it and considered it to be fun.

It’d be scary, dangerous and a lot of work with tons of sacrifices along the way.

20. mmszbi

mmszbi Junior Member

Knowledge is one of the key things that will allow us to survive. Knowledge that something can be done goes a LONG way to making it get done.

I just hope and pray ferverently that things don't go to crap. I have no illusions of living well if it does. I NEED the medications that modern industry allows the production of. I am a scrapper and can make do with little, but I DON'T WANT TO! It absolutely scares the crap out of me to think about the responsibilities of protecting/feeding my family when (not if) SHTF.
    Anybody that says differently is full of bullsh*t.