I didn't know where to put this and I need some help!

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by BadgeBunny, Jun 3, 2011.

1. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

I have several shelving units that are made of heavy gauge wire and my cans keep falling down inbetween the rows when I try to arrange them. I have been using cardboard boxes to stack stuff in but that wastes a LOT of shelf space.

I have seen some thin hard plastic sheeting that could be cut to fit with scissors somewhere ... but for the life of me I can remember what it was called, what it was originally manufactured for or where to get it.

I did see some shelves at Sams that have linings with the shelves but that's not gonna help me any because the liners are not for sale separately.

HELP!!!!!! :gaah::surrender::gaah::surrender::gaah::surrender::gaah:

And THANKS!! :beercheer:

2. StrayDog

StrayDog ExCommunicated

Some photos would help grasp what you currently have and better offer advise.

3. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

You could line the shelves with just about anything, really. Heavy cardboard, plastic, whatever. I'm not sure what type of plastic you're talking about.

4. Herbalpagan

Herbalpagan Well-Known Member

consider going to Home Deopt and having them cut plywood to fit the shelves.

5. Moose33

Moose33 Well-Known Member

Hi BadgeBunny,
    I have some heavy pieces of shelf material. Its a PVC coated rubber like product, it comes in rolls. I got it at one of the big box stores. Something like that might work. You could also try Luan, if I spelled that right, its quarter+/- inch plywood like material. I used it on top of a couple of sub floors before putting vinyl down. I prefer the shelf material in rolls because its easier for me to work with, but that's just me. Please let us know what your final fix turns out to be.
    Take it easy,
    Moose

6. BadgeBunny

Thanks for the replies everbody ... I think Moose might have the answer I need ... I am off to Home Depot and Lowe's to wander aimlessly today ...

Soon as I figure something out I will try to post pics!! (Yeah ... I finally got an iphone last month!! :D I think my very first text was to HozayBuck IIRC!! :kiss:)

7. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

you're probably thinking about plexiglass, it comes in all thicknesses, 1'16 to 1 inch. but it should be cut with a box cutter, scored on both sides then broke.

8. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

Here is our input. It's free and simple. Hey, you just can't beat FREE.

Go to your local political party offices and tell them you want some of the (core-plast) plastic signs from previous elections. You can cut them to size with a box cutter.

We even had our local folks deliver a dozen of the 4'X8' signs after the general election in November. We have found all kinds of uses for them.

Every dollar you save on stuff like this can be put towards other preps.

9. BadgeBunny

:hmmm::hmmm: THAT's genius ... I would have NEVER thought of that!! :thankyou::thankyou:

10. Moose33

Moose33 Well-Known Member

Brilliant, wish I'd thought of it. That material will hold up really well. I'm filing the idea away for future use. :2thumb:
    Thank you !
    Moose

11. BadgeBunny

I mentioned the "sign thing" to the hubby and he said :hmmm: let me look in some boxes that are sitting around at work tonight ... " I am S000loooooo slow sometimes. He works at the Gov's Mansion ... she has a TON of old signs from the recent election in boxes that are waiting to be shipped off to the dumb ...

Wish me luck!!

Oh ... and the stuff I was thinking about is "styrene" ... I am off to a sign store tomorrow if the hubby doesn't bring any booty home with him in the morning ... :D

Thanks for all your help ya'll!! :congrat::2thumb::kiss:

12. CVORNurse

CVORNurse Well-Known Member

those old plastic signs are also good for lining the sides of cages to keep out the wind. And for patching holes in a wall. And........... love the idea of using them to line a wire shelf.

13. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

My kitchen ceiling is wood frame with 2 X 4 foot plastic inside/sort of transparent--this plastic piece is precut and bought at Lowe's for $4--could cut with box cutters.

14. 101airborne

101airborne Well-Known Member

That would be my suggestion even 1/4" plywood should work. Most "big box" stores like home depot, lowe's, menard's and such usually will cut to size free or only for a couple of dollars any wood you buy from them.

15. BadgeBunny

OK ... thought you guys would like a little update ... No signs at the Gov's Mansion. Apparently she had already done away with them. :(

And ...

After reading an article in the latest edition of Backwoods Home Mag (coupled with a little calculating on my iphone) I have decided to go with the plywood ... While the shelves I have are rated to hold 300 pounds each (and some of there are "right there" by my calculations) I'm pretty sure anything plastic would eventually split ...

so ...

The first of the month we are off to Home Depot for a sheet of plywood (or two ... or three) ... I'll post a pic when I get done.

Thanks for all your help! You guys and gals had some pretty good ideas there! :congrat:

16. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

Glad to see you looked at all of your options. Look forward to seeing the pics.

17. Nexquietus

Nexquietus Member

We have a TON of those wire shelves at work, and they make a thin plastic sheet that when supported by all the wires makes for a nice base. The sheets were about the thickness of a... Iced latte cup (had to think about that one for a minute). Something like 2 ft by 3 or 4 ft. I'll see if I can get info, if only for future info's sake.

jim