I Did Some Canning Today...

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by IrritatedWithUS, Aug 18, 2011.

1. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

Well, I haven't been on much these past two months. I have been going to school 5 times a day, 3 days of which I'm going 8am-8pm with a two hour break in between!

I have had time to can a few things. I canned pickled beets last week and today I made pickled green beans in garlic and jalapenos.

[​IMG]

and I had time to play in the garden today. I found this guy lounging around.

[​IMG]

2. RevWC

RevWC The Future?

I can carrots and jalapenos with the typical canning spices. Are the beans good? I also did some pickled radishes surprisingly tasty!

3. IrritatedWithUS

The beans are good! I used 3 different kinds today.

4. partdeux

partdeux Senior Member

pickled beans are the family's fav

5. Dixie

Dixie Well-Known Member

Great job IrritatedWithUS, especially with your busy days!

6. neldarez

neldarez Supporting Member

wow irritated, you are a high energy person! Good work and the little frog is precious. I think I'd like to try pickled beans..........:D

7. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

Thanks for pictures,looks good . Soon as we get good at canning,I want to pickle too.

8. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Nice job!

Question - when canning beans, do you add a crisper ingredient like you do with pickles?

I too have been canning. 2-3 times each week, mainly tomato products.

9. partdeux

partdeux Senior Member

If the beans are fresh, you don't need to add any kind of crisper ingredient. And when I mean fresh, it means they were picked that day.

I also do not add crisping agents to pickles, find that soaking them in ice water for several hours does a good job. Maybe not quite as "crisp" as I'd like them, but crisp enough to avoid the additional chemicals.

10. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. Looks good enough to eat.

11. IrritatedWithUS

Nope, I picked them and then cleaned them and canned them within 2 hours :)

12. Urmomma

Urmomma Active Member

3 pints of cherry jam. Bought more beans. I'm going to try canning dry beans maybe tomorrow. HEB has cherries for $2 per pound which is a great buy for south tx

13. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Pickling anything is easier than canning.
    I pickled some B&B pickles yesterday. So easy and not time consuming AND you can't mess up B&B pickles...or pickled squash...or green tomato relish...or pickled beets......or jalapenos.
    Well, you get the point!!

14. bacpacker

bacpacker Well-Known Member

We put up ourfirst batch of b&bs of the year. Tomatos tomorrow. We did beets about a month ago.

15. myrtle55

myrtle55 Well-Known Member

Do u water bath your b &'s and if so how long?