Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I haven't been on much these past two months. I have been going to school 5 times a day, 3 days of which I'm going 8am-8pm with a two hour break in between!

I have had time to can a few things. I canned pickled beets last week and today I made pickled green beans in garlic and jalapenos.

and I had time to play in the garden today. I found this guy lounging around.

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
I can carrots and jalapenos with the typical canning spices. Are the beans good? I also did some pickled radishes surprisingly tasty!

·
1,734 Posts
If the beans are fresh, you don't need to add any kind of crisper ingredient. And when I mean fresh, it means they were picked that day.

I also do not add crisping agents to pickles, find that soaking them in ice water for several hours does a good job. Maybe not quite as "crisp" as I'd like them, but crisp enough to avoid the additional chemicals.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice job!

Question - when canning beans, do you add a crisper ingredient like you do with pickles?

I too have been canning. 2-3 times each week, mainly tomato products.
Nope, I picked them and then cleaned them and canned them within 2 hours :)

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Thanks for pictures,looks good . Soon as we get good at canning,I want to pickle too.
Pickling anything is easier than canning.
I pickled some B&B pickles yesterday. So easy and not time consuming AND you can't mess up B&B pickles...or pickled squash...or green tomato relish...or pickled beets......or jalapenos.
Well, you get the point!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts